Opinions on speaker setup. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-19-2015, 01:18 PM   #1

Region: California
Opinions on speaker setup.

So this past weekend, I decided to swap out my entire system. I bought my '14 used and the previous owner had installed an aftermarket system, and when he traded the car in, removed it all and put junk in its place. My car is a base GT, so it didn't have the door woofers. The previous owner took the time to cut holes in the panels to install 6 1/2's. Mind you, all the work was done pretty well, so there was no hacking or anything like that, but it seems as though he had a really high end system, but then just slapped whatever he had laying around the garage on the trade in. Not a big deal, but it sounded terrible. So in my mission to remedy that, I picked up the following:

-JL Audio C5 6 1/2 components for the fronts
-JL Audio C2 coaxial's for the rear
-JL Audio XD400/4 to push them
-JL Audio 12W6v3
-JL Audio JX1000/1 for the sub.

I installed it all through the factory radio as I wanted to keep it OEM looking. I did a similar setup in my wife's Edge, but decided to step it up a little on this. After getting everything installed, a couple things made me change my mind on this setup. Number 1, I will be replacing the fronts with the JL C5-653 3-way speakers for the front. I will also be swapping out the head unit (going to the Maestro/Kenwood setup), but that's where my main question comes to mind.

If this was your car, what would you do? Would you run all the speakers off the amp? Or would you bridge the amp to supply more power to the fronts, and just run the rears off the deck since they are just fillers anyways. I want to make sure those 3-ways get the power they deserve and I am leaning towards the latter of those 2 options. Once I get an aftermarket head unit I will have the tunability I'm looking for as well.

So what are your guys' thoughts?

Also, sorry for the super long post just to ask a simple question. haha
rad_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2015, 10:23 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

If it were my car Id send more power to the fronts and run the rears off the HU. If it were my car Id also dump the stock HU. You have some decent money invested, you might as well go all the way. Those C5's are nice. I use the 5x7 C5's mids, but Im running active.

If you dont want to swap out the HU consider a sound processor. look into the JBL MS-8, this will make a HUGE difference with your stock HU. Also, look into the JL Cleansweep. The stock HU has no equalization, so you wont get the most out of those speakers, youll be strangling them. Trust me, when it comes to car audio, do it right the first, it will save you both time and money in the long run.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:28 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

BTW, I run an Alpine HU with the Maestro and it works flawlessly. It has the best factory integration Ive even seen in an aftermarket system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2015, 01:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I kept the OEM HU and added a Clarion EQ and Clarion amp. I used a Pac-audio AOEM-FRD24 to get the low level output(front) to the EQ and amped all four speakers. I use the eq's fader function instead of the HU. I kept the door woofers OEM and have plenty of bass coming from all speakers. The EQ made a big difference.
2014 Ruby Red V6 Premium, Pony Package, Magnaflow Street Axle-backs, MMD Hood Struts, SCT X4 with Steeda lifetime tunes, Boss 302 Strut tower brace, JLT Oil Separator, OEM extended range remote start, Raxiom Navigation.
dj2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:38 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2014 View Post
I kept the OEM HU and added a Clarion EQ and Clarion amp. I used a Pac-audio AOEM-FRD24 to get the low level output(front) to the EQ and amped all four speakers. I use the eq's fader function instead of the HU. I kept the door woofers OEM and have plenty of bass coming from all speakers. The EQ made a big difference.

Thats the thing most people forget, the EQ. You can have 5000.00 speakers but if you only have bass and treble they will never reach their potential.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Thats the thing most people forget, the EQ. You can have 5000.00 speakers but if you only have bass and treble they will never reach their potential.
Mine sounded "ok" until I added the eq. I did a LOT of reading and research on these forums before getting and installing the equipment.
2014 Ruby Red V6 Premium, Pony Package, Magnaflow Street Axle-backs, MMD Hood Struts, SCT X4 with Steeda lifetime tunes, Boss 302 Strut tower brace, JLT Oil Separator, OEM extended range remote start, Raxiom Navigation.
dj2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:53 PM   #7

Yeah, I think the next thing to do is going to be the head unit. The system sounds absolutely incredible right now, but with a little more tunability, it is going to make a huge difference!
rad_rob is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video