Can I add this amp and speakers to the Shaker 500? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-08-2015, 10:49 AM   #1

Region: Kentucky
Can I add this amp and speakers to the Shaker 500?

Hello Everyone! New to the forum.

I recently bought a 2010 Mustang GT and am loving it!

I have a JL audio '450/4' amp and Boston Acoustic competition speakers (SL 60 and SL 95's) that I would like to add to my system. Is it possible, or advised?

I would like to replace the door speakers with my 6 1/2's and the rear speakers with my 6x9's and run them off of the JL audio amp.

I was told by Crutchfield that I HAD to buy the $300+ dollar dashboard piece to add an after-market stereo to my car, but was wondering if I could just replace the speakers and add my amp to the Shaker500 system already in there.

The stereo-dash I have now does not have the built in navigation piece.

I also have a MTX 6001 sub-amp and two 12" Boston Acoustic subs that I WISH I could add as well.

Is there a reason why I would not do this? Or cannot add these pieces to what is already there?

Thank you for any help!
goatbut29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2015, 04:07 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
It would be a bit of a pain to install a new amp for your speakers. You would have to buy a line convertor and then run all the speakers into it and then out to the amp. You would have to run all new speaker wire. The HU that's what really sucks. When all you can feed your speakers is bass and treble youre very limited. You could have the most expensive speakers but if you cant tune them properly they will sound like crap too. Car audio can become a giant web, but for it too sound good you have to do it the right way,
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:17 PM   #3

Thank you very much for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2015, 05:40 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Oh I didn't address the sub. That would be much easier to do. Just get a high/low convertor and tap into your rear speakers. Then tap a the remote wire from the amp into the anteanna in the trunk. This is very easy to do and will add some nice boom to your stock system.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:01 PM   #5

Thanks again!

Lemme ask, would I want to disable the 8" door subs if I added real subs in the trunk?

Also, somewhere on here I read about NOT tapping into the rear speakers for some reason that escapes me. Are you familiar with that?
Old 03-09-2015, 07:14 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatbut29 View Post
Thanks again!

Lemme ask, would I want to disable the 8" door subs if I added real subs in the trunk?

Also, somewhere on here I read about NOT tapping into the rear speakers for some reason that escapes me. Are you familiar with that?
You could leave the door subs, although I think they sound like crap,that's just me. You need a signal ( RCA) to your amp, how else would you get this signal? The HU doesn't have any outputs that's why you have to tap into the rears.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:56 PM   #7

Ah. I gotcha now. Thank you for taking the time!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video