Audio In 2004 GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-24-2015, 01:07 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Audio In 2004 GT

I want to replace my stock system (not the Mach) with something good with lots of bass. So I want subs and an amp. I'm thinking about kicker 12" subs mounted in the trunk near the backseat. Also a kicker amp. Can anyone provide opinions on the install or photos or any feedback at all really?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
epeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2015, 06:43 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Dual subs will take up about the entire trunk and a lot of boxes have trouble fitting too so watch out for that. Honestly 12s are way overkill for a car the size of a Mustang. Unless you are doing decibel competitions I'd get one really good 10" like a W7 or something.

As far as the radio... you lucked out not having the Mach... I ****ing hate the Mach, makes going to an actual sound system a complete rewire...although if you are really serious you'll re-wire anyways. Its the same as any other system really. If you are going to power the speakers from the headunit then bypass the stock amp and let it do the work, speakers wire in like normal.

Honestly I'm not exactly sure what you are asking since speaker/headunit installs are all pretty straightforward and the Mustang is so common its a pretty basic Ford install.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:57 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
carefull with what you use to mount the head unit. i think i used a walmart dash kit, but that was because i was too anxious to wait for shipping on a better one. had to deal with rattling, and it wouldnt mount quite right, so heavy acceleration would cause the radio to slide out and hit the shifter.

a good amp and 2 8 inch subs works great for me as far as bass goes. 1 is enough, 2 is more for fun. get a good quality head unit that will let you adjust the frequencies and the cutoffs. if you go with subs, then you can send all the low tones there, and the mid and higher tones to the speakers, that way you get a better quality sound since its not wasting power sending everything to speakers that only have a certain range for quality.

and get a good size wire, like a 2 guage for an amp. if your amp only takes a smaller wire like 8 gauge, then get a power distribution block to spit the big wire into 2 smaller ones, and connect your amp to that. that way down the road if you wanna upgrade, you dont have to deal with putting in an upgraded wire. and make sure the amp ground is mounted no further than a foot away to the chassis, not all the way back to the battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2015, 08:05 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

The wal mart ones are the schoshe or however you spell it... and are dog****. The best ones I've used are American International from Crutchfield (may sell at other places). Good quality, no rattles, well built and they come with their own cover plates so it all looks pretty seamless especially if you are doing a single DIN in a doulbe DIN unit.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:38 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I bought mine from crutch field and have re wired my whole system. I used the mounting plate from them. It's pretty seem less.

Sent from the mothership.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:46 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Good to know. I ended up modifying mine to work, but id still rather fix it at some point. Never got around to.it. crutchfield has been great for me in the past tho.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-24-2015, 08:47 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1427204817.472641.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	178254

Sent from the mothership.
Slater2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:45 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I would personally prefer 10"ers in a mustang. 2 properly built enclosers for 12"ers will take up too much space. Anndd I would probably avoid kicker. You can do much better for the same amount of money.

Get a power acoustik 2200 watt amp. They are the best amps for the money, like $90 for an amp that will slam your subs if you want it to and they send really clean signal. I would know since there are 6 of them in my household lol. Various boats and cars that we have run these amps.

I would recommend Rockfor Fosgate R2D2 10"ers instead of kicker 12s. I find them much more enjoyable to listen to. I have had Kicker comp CVR 12s as well as the regular ol kicker comp 12s and they are alright, but I have had better subs for less money. Even the MTX thunder series is a good option. We once plugged an MTX 9000 into an A/C electric outlet and it lasted like 4 minutes before it finally overheated. Most subs explode in seconds from doing that.

You see AC electricity comes out of the outlet at an alternating interval of 50 hertz, so when you plug a sub directly into it, the sub will play a 50 hertz tone, but at 120 volts haha, thats 10x the voltage they were designed for.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:54 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Alright thanks a lot...I think you guys have convinced me to avoid the kicker 12s and get other 10s. Any other tips are appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
epeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:21 AM   #10
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
Pioneer ftw. I would go to sonic electronix and buy the stuff there because it is affordable. I have 2 10s on my new edge and it takes up a lot of room but it is a convertible. From passed ecperience i would not get power acoustik just because i have seen them fail. Hifonics is a great amp that will last a long time
I didn't know non mach stereos had amps 😨
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:15 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Pioneer makes great headunits and speakers. I'm not into competition audio or anything so unsure about how "high end" their stuff is as far as that but for someone who just wants a good set of speakers/headunit they are hard to beat.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:32 PM   #12
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Audio In 2004 GT

I use a pioneer system. I'm happy with it. Doesn't rattle, and sound quality got a little better with it.

Got it from crutchfield.

Speakers are still stock. I care more about go fast. Plus I honestly don't like super heavy bass, it's just annoying to me

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1427225505.070480.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	178278

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:37 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

I've got a set of Pioneer Premier 6x8s sitting on my shelf leftover from my blue 98GT...

Old 03-24-2015, 02:38 PM   #14
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I've got a set of Pioneer Premier 6x8s sitting on my shelf leftover from my blue 98GT...

One of my stockers is going out......

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:46 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1427319906.968188.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	178376

I love my pioneer. Bought it to replace the Mach. Added WAY better quality, and I have complete sub control (Frequency, SRA, bass levels, the works)

40th Anniversary GT
Old 03-26-2015, 07:07 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Ive gone through sony's, pioneers, jvc, alpine and kenwood. personally, kenwood became my favorite. audio quality, controls and adjustability all factored in.

New speakers and new head units will make their own particular differences. I found that the stock head unit produces more bass than the aftermarkets, but the aftermarkets can go a little louder without getting distorted.
speakers will fix the clarity of either head unit. More power means better quality sound, especially at higher volumes. I don't particularly turn my music up very loud, so im okay with a headunit powering my speakers. the audio would be richer to someone who listens for it if i had an amp for the speakers though. But i just use a mono block amp to power a pair of 8 inch subwoofers. 2 subwoofers at lower volume provides a cleaner deep sound, as opposed to overpowering a bigger sub to make the mirrors shake.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:26 AM   #17
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
But new speakers on the mach amps won't get you far thats why scotty suggested to rewire
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video