2014 gt set up, need help.. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-30-2015, 07:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
2014 gt set up, need help..

Right now the car just has the base 4 speaker system I'd like to install a single 10" sub in the trunk and replace the door speakers. I'd either go with a mono amp/2ch amp set up(doors, not concerned with rear deck) or a 3 ch amp that will power a sub and speakers.

I'm completely lost on what brands of subs and speakers to look at. I used to be into audio but that was years ago and brands have changed so much. Who makes a good sq sub? Right now I'm looking at jl audio.

I also would like to retain the factory head unit. Ive had a hard time searching on this. Does the shaker and base system use the same harness to add on an amp? I also want a mustang specific enclosure to tuck the sub away in the corner? Any recommendations?
Billgluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2015, 09:21 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I installed a JL audio 10" in a small box with an Alpine mono 500w amp, and I'm really happy with it. If you're keeping the factory head unit, make sure your amp accepts high-level inputs which allows you to tap into the rear speakers to ge the signal. Also, if you get the small box (~1 cubic foot) and install it in the right-rear of the trunk, you can tap into the antenna wire to get your switched power. I screwed the amp right to the back of the box. That way all you have to do is run a battery cable and a ground and you're good to go without needing to remove the factory deck. Here's a good write up and a pic of my setup (excuse the potato quality pic and ghetto strap-gonna mount it to a board one of these days).

How To: Add a sub and amp to a 2013 - MustangForums.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150401_065507.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	763.9 KB
ID:	178828  
BigCiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I do plan to go with that style box and I've got a jl w6 on my front porch right now that just came in. I think I'll end up going with a jl amp as well. Now I just need to figure out what door speakers to run and what to power them with.

Btw, I found that thread last night. Thanks. It helped me understand how to hook the amp up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2015, 09:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Got the jl w6, just ordered the jl 500 watt mono amp and everything needed to install. Also ordered the corner mount box earlier.

Anyone have any experience with the lower end jl 5x7?
Old 04-06-2015, 09:00 PM   #5

Region: North Carolina
So I bought the ipad mini dash mount that is magnetic off of another user. Then I purchased an AudioControl DQ-61 to flatten out the head unit eq and give me amp preamps plus EQ control. That connects into a JBL 5/700 v2 that powers a Rockford P2 12 and 4 infinity kappa 5x7s. Damn my stuff sounds great.
ReSQMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I bet. I ended up ordering these for the doors..

C2-570x - Car Audio - Evolution® - C2 - Coaxial Systems - JL Audio

Still waiting on everything. I've got my box and sub but that's it. Oh and an amp for the door speakers but I've had it for a while. Hopefully it will arrive in time to install it all this weekend.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
upgraded sound is going to sound much better than stock
Gumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:47 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I ran with 4-5x7 kicker speakers
Relocated the two rear speakers out of the deck and added a Nvx 12 in a custom ported box to my car.
Powered by alpine and kicker amps.
The sound quality is great the way I have it adjusted and incredibly loud.
The bass is not over the top for rock or country but will thumb to rap when I want it to. Overall I love the system. Only thing I wud do next time is go louder. 😀

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1428943515.700258.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	179902

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

That looks nice^^^

I got my w6 and 500 watt amp hooked up but the amp didn't come with a bass knob so I've got it turned way down at the amp. Otherwise I can't hear the door speakers(haven't swapped and amp'd them yet). This reminds me, need to order bass knob...
Old 04-15-2015, 04:38 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you. Just keep in mind with the door speakers on the car you will have to tap into the fronts inside the car not inside the door. Unless you drill some holes. 😀 I opted for no additional holes.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:35 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm, not sure what you mean. Esplain your self lol

My plan was to simply tap into a rear speaker just like I did for the sub then run speaker wire to the doors through the rubber passages that go from body to door.

---------- Post added at 07:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 AM ----------

Hmm, not sure what you mean. Esplain your self lol

My plan was to simply tap into a rear speaker just like I did for the sub then run speaker wire to the doors through the rubber passages that go from body to door.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:31 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

You can tap into the rear. But when you run the wire from amp to the speaker is what I'm talking about. I have the premium so it may be different but due to how mine is wired I had to tie in inside the car

Old 04-15-2015, 08:55 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I should have taken picture when I had mine apart. But it will made sense to you once you start looking at yours. Due to the wire Harness I couldn't run wires through the door

Old 04-15-2015, 09:03 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I should have taken picture when I had mine apart. But it will made sense to you once you start looking at yours. Due to the wire Harness I couldn't run wires through the door

Old 04-15-2015, 09:09 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

There's a harness that plugs into the door Harness at the door jam. Once you pull the kick panel on either side of the car you will see what I mean. I could have taken the harness apart and ran a wire through it that way but there's no need. The factory wires are good enough size to power what I am running. I amped the factory 8s and they are actually very impressive for factory speakers. I have those on one channel by them self and then I have the other 4 speakers wired on two other channels. I replaced all four speakers with kicker speakers and relocated the rear speakers. I can take pictures of the relocation if you'd like.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:44 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I know what you mean now. I looked at that the other day and figured it would be difficult to run through the door.

Did you tap in behind the head unit or were you able to get to the wires as they went towards the door? Like under the dash maybe.

I don't plan on using but the two door speakers but I am curious as to where to relocated them to
Old 04-15-2015, 11:22 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I'll get a picture up tomorrow. I won't be home tonight to snap a pic. And I tapped into the wires a few inches away from where the harness clips in. It was hard due to location but I didn't want to tear the dash apart. If your going through the effort to replace the door speakers then I would recommend amping the 8"s as well. I was going to replace and amp mine but decided to amp the first to blow them up. Ya know see what they could handle. And they surprised the hell out of me. So for now I'm running them until they blow. Then I will upgrade them.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:21 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

No 8s in mine. I've got the base system. Only 4 5x7s

I'm really ready to have the jls in the door but Ive got about 50 things goin on at once. Hopefully I can be to that this weekend.

---------- Post added at 12:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

No 8s in mine. I've got the base system. Only 4 5x7s

I'm really ready to have the jls in the door but Ive got about 50 things goin on at once. Hopefully I can be to that this weekend.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:53 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Good luck to you. If you have any questions feel free to pm me

Old 04-16-2015, 08:08 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Here is the picture of the rear location. I'm going to change it a little bit that way it's just a smooth piece of fabric instead of seeing the speaker outline. That was an after thought and I never have rear passengers so I havnt really had the motivation do fix it. Not that this pic is online I will fix it lol. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1429189716.593105.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	180130

Old 04-24-2015, 07:44 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

That's actually a pretty good spot.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:12 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks. Easiest spot

Old 04-27-2015, 04:32 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20prima10 View Post
Here is the picture of the rear location. I'm going to change it a little bit that way it's just a smooth piece of fabric instead of seeing the speaker outline. That was an after thought and I never have rear passengers so I havnt really had the motivation do fix it. Not that this pic is online I will fix it lol. Attachment 180130

Obviously it sounds better with the aftermarket speakers but does the relocation of thr rears make that much difference for you up front?
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:02 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Yes it was night and day. The way the rear deck lid is designed and covered hardly any sound transfers from it. The sound that you do hear sounds terrible.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video