Car audio help plz, no idea what im doing - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-19-2015, 11:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Car audio help plz, no idea what im doing

I have a base 13' gt, im thinking about adding my home speaker(just the speakers(100watt)) to my car
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wi6ek191v7...03936.jpg?dl=0
or a speaker system like this
Scosche Full Range Speaker System with Two 6.5" Woofers - Walmart.com.

I saw this tutorial but not very clear

Do unplug the rear factory speaker wires and plug the above speaker wires to it?
Will it fry my head unit? drain my battery?
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2015, 05:53 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Should not hurt the car but may harm the speakers. If your home speakers are designed to operate at higher rms power than the factory unit puts out you will eventually damage the speakers. All speakers woofers etc are designed to run at certain ranges set by the manufacturer to be a safe standard. Now typically you can go higher if you have clean power. I am able to almost double most speakers power because of the way I tune and the parts I use to get clean power to the speaker. On the flip side of you underpower a speaker it will work. However the cone is not going to be moving properly (as it was designed to) because it does not have enough power. Ex. Take one speaker with 60w capability and same size speaker with 120w capability. The higher will have a bigger magnet typically than the smaller one. This is due to the fact that if your running double the power it needs to have better control over itself. If your underpowering the same speakers the 60w will last longer in the long run because it's not going to fight the same power as hard and wear out as fast as the 120w speaker.

Just what I've learned over the years any more ? Let me know. But that's my recommendation.
Hope that all makes sense.
10+ years in car audio.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:58 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I just watched the video and I would not take wiring advice from that guy lol. Pretty bad job he did but hey. To each his own.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2015, 11:06 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I just watched the video and I would not take wiring advice from that guy lol. Pretty bad job he did but hey. To each his own.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:21 AM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
i can't see the video but suggest just swapping out all 4 spkrs with aftermarket. Plug and play w/o much effort. I suggest Crutchfield for great service and decent (not the best) prices.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:40 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I would not recommend crutch field based off my experience with them. Bad customer service for me. I use sonic electronics. Everyone has a favorite.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20prima10 View Post
Should not hurt the car but may harm the speakers. If your home speakers are designed to operate at higher rms power than the factory unit puts out you will eventually damage the speakers. All speakers woofers etc are designed to run at certain ranges set by the manufacturer to be a safe standard. Now typically you can go higher if you have clean power. I am able to almost double most speakers power because of the way I tune and the parts I use to get clean power to the speaker. On the flip side of you underpower a speaker it will work. However the cone is not going to be moving properly (as it was designed to) because it does not have enough power. Ex. Take one speaker with 60w capability and same size speaker with 120w capability. The higher will have a bigger magnet typically than the smaller one. This is due to the fact that if your running double the power it needs to have better control over itself. If your underpowering the same speakers the 60w will last longer in the long run because it's not going to fight the same power as hard and wear out as fast as the 120w speaker.

Just what I've learned over the years any more ? Let me know. But that's my recommendation.
Hope that all makes sense.
10+ years in car audio.

My speakers says 100 watt on the back sticker, is that too high or too low with my base head unit?
Old 04-20-2015, 12:38 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Stock head units are usually lucky to put out 100watts to each speaker. I personally would recommend swapping speakers for aftermarket and putting them on a 4 channel amp. You can do this for 400 or les and it will sound 100 times better than what you have rite now

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

Sorry I misspoke. There lucky to put out 40 watts to a speaker

Old 04-20-2015, 01:02 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Stock head units are usually lucky to put out 100watts to each speaker. I personally would recommend swapping speakers for aftermarket and putting them on a 4 channel amp. You can do this for 400 or les and it will sound 100 times better than what you have rite now

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

Sorry I misspoke. There lucky to put out 40 watts to a speaker

I have already swapped out door panel speakers with pioneer, but rear is too much of a hassle including changing head unit.

Is there other ways out there that i can do?
Old 04-20-2015, 01:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The rears r pretty easy. I did mine in about 45 min. I relocated mine too but I removed the old ones at the same time. That's always an option if your good with customization

Old 04-20-2015, 01:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The rears r pretty easy. I did mine in about 45 min. I relocated mine too but I removed the old ones at the same time. That's always an option if your good with customization

Doesnt rear speaker require prying wall panels off?
Old 04-20-2015, 01:13 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Ya but they pop right off. No tools required. . Takes about 45 seconds each side to pull them off. Prolly a few mins on your first one and then u will see how easy it is

Old 04-20-2015, 01:16 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ya but they pop right off. No tools required. . Takes about 45 seconds each side to pull them off. Prolly a few mins on your first one and then u will see how easy it is

I dont think changing rear speaker will do much unless i change out my head unit.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:30 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

It won't. That's y I relocated and amped all of my speakers. Replaces the four and kept the 8"stock but amped those too

Old 04-20-2015, 01:36 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

It won't. That's y I relocated and amped all of my speakers. Replaces the four and kept the 8"stock but amped those too

Do i need to replace my head unit if i use amp?
Old 04-20-2015, 01:36 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Old 04-20-2015, 01:38 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

No you can use the factory head unit with an amp. It would sound better with an aftermarket but most people won't notice the diffrence unless hearing them side by side. Plus if you have everything adjusted correctly you won't get any distortion either way. So there is no diffrence if done properly

Old 04-20-2015, 01:39 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No you can use the factory head unit with an amp. It would sound better with an aftermarket but most people won't notice the diffrence unless hearing them side by side. Plus if you have everything adjusted correctly you won't get any distortion either way. So there is no diffrence if done properly

Can you please tell me what kind of amp i should get and how to install it? i have never done anything with audio before
Old 04-20-2015, 01:52 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I'll send you a rite up today after work

Old 04-20-2015, 01:53 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I will send you a write up after work

Old 04-20-2015, 02:01 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I will send you a write up after work

thanks amigo, i was looking around how is this amp?
Clarion XC1410 Compact 4-channel amplifier 50 watts RMS x 4 at Crutchfield.com
Old 04-20-2015, 02:37 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I would not recommend that amp just because it does not make much adjustment. I'll look some up for you when i leave work.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:43 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

What speaker set up do you plan on running? Factory speakers? Do you have the factory 8" woofers? If you upgraded any speakers what ones and with what? Model numbers would be best so I can give u a few options for a solid amp to run with your set up. Car audio is like a girlfriend or wife. All components have to mesh together to keep a good relationship.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:54 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What speaker set up do you plan on running? Factory speakers? Do you have the factory 8" woofers? If you upgraded any speakers what ones and with what? Model numbers would be best so I can give u a few options for a solid amp to run with your set up. Car audio is like a girlfriend or wife. All components have to mesh together to keep a good relationship.

base model 4 speakers only, no woofers, the front two i have replaced it with pioneer ts-a874m Pioneer TS-A874M 5"x7"/6"x8" 3-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com
im sticking with factory rear speakers, so what kind of wife do you have in mind for me?
Old 04-20-2015, 06:02 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Honestly after seeing the specs. I would not add an amp. Those r rated at 40rms a piece. Your factory head unit will do that. Granted you could probably push them harder if you know how to adjust the amp perfectly and get pure clean power. If your new to car audio I would not recommend amping those speakers. I can give you some good options that will sound great and not break the bank if you want to swap speakers again and amp then to add volume.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:08 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Honestly after seeing the specs. I would not add an amp. Those r rated at 40rms a piece. Your factory head unit will do that. Granted you could probably push them harder if you know how to adjust the amp perfectly and get pure clean power. If your new to car audio I would not recommend amping those speakers. I can give you some good options that will sound great and not break the bank if you want to swap speakers again and amp then to add volume.

Sure, im all ears.
btw back to the earlier question regarding wiring my home speaker(100watt) to my rear speaker, will it still work? can my head unit supply up to 350watt for the pioneer? if so then my home speaker 100 watt should be no problem, no? will it distort music? and will it damage/fry my head unit or battery?
Old 04-20-2015, 07:37 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Won't harm your head unit or the car battery. However if you hook into only one speaker wire for it you will only receive about 40watts rms. if you hook into two you can get up to 80 rms but that could damage the amp because it will change the impedance that your amps will see.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:43 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...er-11KS68.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...nce-QRS57.html

Those r my recommendations. I've had both and for the price there both good options. There is cheaper out there but I know from experience that you can run almost double the rates power on the kickers and u can run 40% more on the cadence if you have clean power.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:58 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Kicker 11KS68 6" x 8" KS Series Coaxial Car Speakers

Cadence QRS57 360W 6"x8" QRS Series Coaxial Car Speakers

Those r my recommendations. I've had both and for the price there both good options. There is cheaper out there but I know from experience that you can run almost double the rates power on the kickers and u can run 40% more on the cadence if you have clean power.

btw why did you say amp is not needed in my situation? even tho my pioneer door speaker can push 40 watt rms i doubt my head unit is anywhere near that.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:33 AM   #30
Staff

Regular
Staff

speakers are normally damaged by underpower (distortion/clipping). Do what you want but I did all 4 in my base model with entry level Focals and once they broke in it was a big improvement. Bass is still somewhat weak and maybe in the future I'll add an amped line level input sub but for an afternoon and $200 to replace the OEM kazoos it was time/$ well spent.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:42 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Your head unit will probably push 25watts. Just a guess I have not looked into it. But these cars have factory amps that bump it up to around 30/40watts rms

Old 04-21-2015, 09:03 AM   #32
Staff

Regular
Staff

Quote:
Car audio is like a girlfriend or wife. All components have to mesh together to keep a good relationship.

If I could get my girlfriend and wife to "mesh" that would be really hot......

Prima, curiosity what happened with Crutchfield. If ya wanna PM I'm ok with that. I had them comp me an adaptor 2 years after the sale that had failed.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:10 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

A few years ago I bought an amp off them and it was bad from factory. One of the channels was blown. I was skeptical to instal it because it came in an opens box. I called and sent it out for return and they sent me another one as expected. This one came box opened once again and missing parts. Not that I use the wires or there connectors but still. I jumped online to make sure I wasn't buying used or open marked stuff and sure enough it said new. Called them and they refused to believe that I had gotten a second bad amp in a second opened box. After 7 weeks dealing with there customer support I was left amp less and no refund. Up unt that point I always had good luck with them. But I no longer shop there.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:13 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Back to basics here. If I was you. I would spend the extra money and replace all the speakers for a little bit better quality. Get some between 60-100 watts rms. run a line driver off your rear speakers to power the new speakers from the amp. And be done with it.

Instal would be around 3 hours if you know what your doing. If not expect 6-8 to be safe but it will be worth it.

It will sound much better. You could even get a small 8 or 10" woofer for the trunk off the same 4channel amp just to add some lower bass to make the bass drum stand out.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:54 PM   #35
Staff

Regular
Staff

P,

thx for the answer.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video