Blew Shaker 1000 subs. Help and advice needed. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-12-2015, 12:17 PM   #1

Region: Tennessee
Blew Shaker 1000 subs. Help and advice needed.

I have a '12 GT/CS with Shaker 1000 system.

Recently noticed my subs weren't hitting as hard as usual. Popped the trunk and found one sub was barely moving and the other was highly distorted. Almost like somebody blowing a raspberry on someone's stomach.

Took out the enclosure and pulled the subs to find this:

Blown Sub: Imgur Imgur Imgur
Distorted Sub: Imgur

The blown sub is fried around the paper cone area/voice coil? and the distorted sub looks perfectly fine. I have no idea how or why this happened. I've been listening at the same volume for a year now.

Does anyone now the RMS rating of the factory sub amp? I would love to drop two new 10s in the enclosure I already have and plug it into the existing amp. Just not that excited about wiring a new amp.

The after market amp I am looking is a Boss Audio from Amazon for $50.
Max Power @ 2 Ohms: 1100 Watts
RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 250 Watts
With two Kicker 10C104 from Crutchfield.
power handling: 50-150 watts RMS
peak power handling: 300 watts

Can anyone give me any advice on the rating for the stock Shaker 1000 sub amp,
cons of using the factory enclosure/amp. Feedback on the replacements. Any ideas why I killed two speakers at the same time. Anything really. Any help is appreciated.
jbreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2015, 07:23 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I'll give you a tip with car audio. Do not go cheap. A 50$ amp will never put out rated power. Now you don't need to go overly expensive to do this just do yourself a favor and don't go that cheap. Your factory amp honestly put out more power than that boss will.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:47 AM   #3

Thanks Prima. Do you know what the factory amp puts out? Or have a suggestion for a better amp for two 10s?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2015, 10:45 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
I understand a budget but let me tell you this, Boss is total garbage. Spend a little more for a Kicker amp. Kicker makes some really good entry level stuff.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:51 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

If recommend kicker as decent entry level stuff. However I think that Nvx subs are by far better. I would run two Nvx 10" subs off a kicker amp. Or if your feeling hairy run an 8" jl w3. That with a good amp will blow your mind for an 8 lol I built a box for one and was absolutely blow away. Nothing but pure sound quality and it would thump with 80% of the 12s out there. Everyone of my friends thought it was either 4-10s or 2-12s.

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

I do not know the factory amp power ratting. Off hand. A ford dealer should know.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:22 AM   #6

Thanks Prima and Stangman. So far, I am definitely going against the Boss amp. I'll be getting a Kicker. The Boss has a ton of 5 star ratings on Amazon, which is why I even considered it. It's actually the #1 seller on there for amps but I'll trust the Stang guys.

Do i NEED an AudioControl LC2i? Cheaping out is a waste for audio so I'll definitely get what I need, but I can't tell if this is necessary.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:29 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

If your replacing your factory amp you will need a line out converter to rca. You use that to tap into front or rear speakers for your new sub. I would recommend taping into the rear as there easiest. You could go straight from the existing amp and to the new amp to save some cash but that is not a good idea because your then sending am amplified signal through another amp then to your new subs. Bad idea imo.

It's a good bit of work to do but it's easy and defiantly worth it.

Might be an easier way to do this I'm not sure I would have to see a wire diagram for your specific car. I have the shaker 500 that's since then been gutted and replaced with all aftermarket setup.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:36 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I take it this will be your first attempt at car audio?

Old 05-13-2015, 11:47 AM   #9

Pretty much I had a 96 GT that had subs and amp in them but it was installed before and I just changed out the amp once. I like this car toooo much to just dive into changing anything without confidently knowing what I am doing. I don't want to hurt it!
Old 05-13-2015, 11:49 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Understandable if you wanted to you could buy the parts and take a quick trip to Michigan and I'll do it for you lol. Otherwise I can only walk you through it.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:51 AM   #11

Apparently this didn't post the first time I tried bc of a link.

Aren't the Shaker 500 and 1000 wired exactly the same aside from the sub amp in the trunk?

I found a decent write up on wiring the amp but the LC2i is a bit more challenging to me seeing as how I'm tapping into existing wires. Your advice is helping a ton though, I think I can do this now.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:56 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I do believe there the same minus the subs but I'm not sure if there's another amp to power the subs. I never cared to look into this because I ripped mine out anyways if there isn't another amp I can walk you through it easily )

Old 05-13-2015, 12:00 PM   #13

I know there is another amp for the sub in the trunk. When i removed them they were plugged directly into it. I thought I was by passing the factory amp completely though.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:04 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I do believe there the same minus the subs but I'm not sure if there's another amp to power the subs. I never cared to look into this because I ripped mine out anyways if there isn't another amp I can walk you through it easily )

Old 05-13-2015, 12:07 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

You guys having site issues? Some double posts.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:09 PM   #16

Is there a reason any post I put up with a link doesn't post?
Old 05-13-2015, 01:03 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbreon View Post
Is there a reason any post I put up with a link doesn't post?
What do you mean? I see the link you put up. I clicked on it and it worked.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:24 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Old 05-13-2015, 01:24 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I don't see any links...
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:28 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Hhhhmmm, that's weird I do. It doesn't have a post number though. Let me try something.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:29 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Can you guys see this link...

If I'm not mistaken, aren't the Shaker 500 and 1000 wired exactly the same aside from the subwoofer amp in the trunk? I've found a decent write up on wiring the amp, so I'm confident I can do that. The LC2i just seems a bit complicated tapping into existing wires and all. Your advice is helping a ton, I think I can do this!

The write up is here: 2012 Mustang Shaker 500 Add A Sub Install - www.Evilcartman.com
Old 05-13-2015, 01:33 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Yep can see it now.
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:18 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Blew Shaker 1000 subs. Help and advice needed.

I put a 600 amp boss on my 14gt I know they are over rated amps and are not even close to pushing those 600 watts but for what I'm using them I can't complain. I used it to power the 2 subs on the premium door panels.

Mlp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:27 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I have the two 8" speakers in the doors and 4 5x7 kicker coaxial speakers ran off a four channel amp. Also have a Nvx vcw 12" in a custom built ported box powered by an alpine amp.

Over all it's a great system for under 800$.

Obviously cud have went better but I wanted to go as loud as I could on the factory 8" with out blowing them just to prove the quality of that speaker. Everyone on here says there garbage we'll stick a quality amp on them and turn it up lol. These thing are seeing 140w rms daily of clean power each and they handle it flawlessly. The 5x7s are seeing 150wrms and are only rated for 90 I believe. The Nvx is only seeing 500w because I just use a sub for filler bass 90% of the time. I don't listen to rap everyday so when I'm not it's turned down a good bit.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:05 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Can you guys see this link...

If I'm not mistaken, aren't the Shaker 500 and 1000 wired exactly the same aside from the subwoofer amp in the trunk? I've found a decent write up on wiring the amp, so I'm confident I can do that. The LC2i just seems a bit complicated tapping into existing wires and all. Your advice is helping a ton, I think I can do this!

The write up is here: 2012 Mustang Shaker 500 Add A Sub Install - www.Evilcartman.com

I don't know if its bc I'm a new member, but I can't post anything with a link. And it took my first post a day to be visible bc the imgur links it had.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:30 PM   #26
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20prima10 View Post
I have the two 8" speakers in the doors and 4 5x7 kicker coaxial speakers ran off a four channel amp. Also have a Nvx vcw 12" in a custom built ported box powered by an alpine amp.

Over all it's a great system for under 800$.

Obviously cud have went better but I wanted to go as loud as I could on the factory 8" with out blowing them just to prove the quality of that speaker. Everyone on here says there garbage we'll stick a quality amp on them and turn it up lol. These thing are seeing 140w rms daily of clean power each and they handle it flawlessly. The 5x7s are seeing 150wrms and are only rated for 90 I believe. The Nvx is only seeing 500w because I just use a sub for filler bass 90% of the time. I don't listen to rap everyday so when I'm not it's turned down a good bit.

Care to share how you wired the amp for the door subs?

I added the Kicker 10" VSS to the trunk and it tapped into the passenger kick panel. I want to get the Kicker Shelby door subs and amp them, but want to keep factory wiring where I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:42 PM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
Care to share how you wired the amp for the door subs?

I added the Kicker 10" VSS to the trunk and it tapped into the passenger kick panel. I want to get the Kicker Shelby door subs and amp them, but want to keep factory wiring where I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will be hard to keep the wiring. I believe the sub amp is under the dash on the drivers side. Its the sliver box closest to the door. You will need to find out which wire is which and then run them to the trunk. Trust me its not worth it. I did the Kicker subs and amp and it wasn't that great. You really cant feed them much power for two reasons...one, they seem to distort pretty easy, they don't have much excursion. Two, everything in and on the door will rattle. I had mine in for 2-3 weeks and then I pulled them out, I could stand it.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:50 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I just ran a new wire to the 6 speakers inside the car from my new amp. I pulled power from the factory radio for My rca converter that way the amp is seeing un amplified signals.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video