Rear View Camera - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-14-2015, 09:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Rear View Camera

Picking up a Raxiom head unit from another member here. I'm interested in installing a camera, but not the one that comes with the kit. I'm looking for one with a smaller footprint like the one pictured below. I would be installing it between the license plate lights on that lip, which would require drilling a hole. Is there anything in that space? I know there is a rear bumper, but surely it isn't right against the plastic cover, right?

Which wires have yall tapped into for power? Does anyone have a wiring diagram that shows which is for the reverse LED? Or I could tap into the antenna wire (I read that they are powered and used for amp turn on signals) which would just have the camera and transmitter on while the car was on regardless of gear?

Finally, does anyone have any experience with wireless transmitters? I'm not really looking forward to running a wire from the license plate to the front of the car. The wireless transmitters vary in price from $15 up to $100, but the ones from $15-$50 all look about the same. I know it's only about 10ft, but considering it wouldn't be a clean line of sight, I would expect some interference from a low quality unit.

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2015, 09:57 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Here are the wiring diagrams and connectors of the reverse lamps for the 2013. I am not sure of the current rating for the antenna enable circuit, but it may only be powered while the Audio Control Module is in AM/FM mode.

2013 Reverse Lamps Wiring Diagram
2013 Reverse Lamps Connectors
2013 Antenna Enable Circuit Testing

Also, I'm not sure if posting these diagrams is acceptable here, so if I'm breaking any rules, let me know so I can remove it.
UnsightlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

For the power, you may want to check if your car already has the harnesses/connectors for the video camera or the parking aid module in the trunk.

Video Camera Power Distribution
Video Camera Connector
Parking Aid Module Power Distribution
Parking Aid Module Connector

The video camera harness/connector will be underneath the trunk lid and the parking aid module harness/connector will be near the spare in the rear. In my 2014, I do not have the parking aid module, but I do have the harness and connector already installed. The diagrams do not indicate these as only being present in specific configurations, so they may be available for you to pull power from. If they are, the Smart Junction Box will only power them in start or run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2015, 11:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Hmm, I do already have the reverse parking aids.

I found this. It doesn't list the Mustang, but it looks similar in size/shape to the license plate lights. I'm wondering if it will snap in place, and at $17, might be worth a try.

Amazon.com : CCD Color Sony chip Car Back Up Rear View Reverse Parking Camera for FORD MONDEO/FIESTA/FOCUS HATCHBACK/S-Max/KUGA : Car Electronics

The other project with this unit is I'm wanting to connect the Raxiom GPS to the factory Sirius antenna. I'm getting mixed info on whether that will work or not. The Raxiom manual states that it will, and I think I've located a splitter and adapter that will plug right in between the antenna cable and back of the radio unit.

Thanks for the info! Gives me something to read on a late Friday night.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:45 PM   #5
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsightlyGuy View Post
Also, I'm not sure if posting these diagrams is acceptable here, so if I'm breaking any rules, let me know so I can remove it.
I'm pretty sure you qualify for the "most helpful user w/ under 5 posts" award!

Old 05-16-2015, 03:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I think that camera may be too large for the opening in the rear bumper cover. However, you should be able to drill or cut into it as you need to if you remove the bezel (DR3Z17A955AA) first. You could even use the bezel for mounting the camera. This video shows someone doing something similar:

Old 05-17-2015, 08:56 PM   #7
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Finally got to watch that video. It was very helpful in showing how to run the wiring and provides some ease about drilling into the bumper knowing there is a small plastic cover back there. Best of all, that cover is a $5 part! So now I need to narrow down which camera I want to use.

Seems like that is a part that Raxiom could make in-house to replace the whole plastic cover above the license plate instead of requiring you to drill and mount their camera.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, a camera integrated into a replacement bezel would be perfect.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:32 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I just installed a wireless camera kit yesterday. Did a lot of research before ordering one. The only way to go is digital.I ordered from Rear View Safety out of Brooklyn N.Y. The one I ordered was #RVS-091406. Picture is perfect. Easy install. Reception is good up to 70'. By the way the reverse light wire in the taillight harness is the blue one on a 13-14 Mustang.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:20 PM   #10
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

While I like the idea of digital, I haven't found a solution that I think will work.

I found this camera. CCD instead of a CMOS sensor and should install like I want.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:08 PM   #11
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

And now I found this one from Rosen (company who makes the Raxiom unit) that looks like it may plug and play just as the original with the kit does.

Car Show by Rosen DP-1096-1 (dp10961) Universal Waterproof

Old 06-06-2015, 02:54 PM   #12
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

So just ordered the Rosen unit listed in the previous post. Of course now I realize it says it's not a flipped image, so I'm curious what kind of picture I'll get and if I can turn the lines on or off. Might have to make that the next project.

Sent from my #racecar

Old 06-11-2015, 11:01 AM   #13
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Well, this camera works, but it is upside down as I feared. The lines don't move regardless of the camera orientation. It does plug into the Raxiom S-Video connection.

I'm going to keep searching for another camera made by Rosen before I decide to either return this one or crack it open to see if the lens can be rotated.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:27 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Keep us updated. I'm wanting to change out my camera also. I don't like the one that came with the Raxiom unit.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2014 Ruby Red V6 Premium, Pony Package, Magnaflow Street Axle-backs, MMD Hood Struts, SCT X4 with Steeda lifetime tunes, Boss 302 Strut tower brace, JLT Oil Separator, OEM extended range remote start, Raxiom Navigation.
dj2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:58 PM   #15
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Yeah, it would have been nice since it also uses the s-video connection for signal and power. I'm hoping to hear back that the camera has two models 1096 and 1096-1 and the -1 is the upside down image. That would be awesome if it was.

Sent from my #racecar

Old 06-11-2015, 08:35 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
Yeah, it would have been nice since it also uses the s-video connection for signal and power. I'm hoping to hear back that the camera has two models 1096 and 1096-1 and the -1 is the upside down image. That would be awesome if it was.

Sent from my #racecar
I looked for a replacement and gave up. There are tons of cameras that use the RCA type connection but not the S-video connection. I hope you hear good news about the other one.
2014 Ruby Red V6 Premium, Pony Package, Magnaflow Street Axle-backs, MMD Hood Struts, SCT X4 with Steeda lifetime tunes, Boss 302 Strut tower brace, JLT Oil Separator, OEM extended range remote start, Raxiom Navigation.
dj2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 12:38 PM   #17
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

So, took the camera apart today. It's basically 2 screws and gobs of black rtv sealant. The good news is that the lens is on a square board. The board is attached to the housing with a few drops of hot glue and the corners of the board rest against the back of the housing for a relatively tight fit. And then the lens is sealed to the housing with more rtv. If you flip the lens around everything fits back together like you would imagine with enough length for cables in the housing.

The bad: I can't remember if the view was flipped when I plugged in the first time. So while I will be able to get the camera oriented the right way, I'm not yet sure if the display will turn the correct direction when turning while reversing. That may not be a big deal and just something that can be lived with. (Example of the potential problem: person walking behind the car from drivers side direction to passenger side would appear as walking from passenger side to driver side on the display)

I will need to pick up some rtv this week to reassemble. I imagine I will be able to use a toothpick or small paint brush to get the right amounts around the lens.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1434217006.679274.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	184755

Sent from my #racecar

Old 06-13-2015, 01:42 PM   #18
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Had another hour before work. Went ahead and ran the cable from behind the Raxiom to under the cup holders and got it all buttoned back up. Tested the camera to ensure when I glue it back in I put the correct side up. Also tested the left-to-right and its correct (the original specs from the camera said "flip" was not changeable, but it already comes with a mirror image) so things on the rear passenger side of the car are also on the passenger side of the display.

There is no way to turn off the blue lines to my knowledge, and they are straight regardless of camera orientation.

The last thing I uncovered is I may have to remove my license plate frame as its thicker at the top and may interfere with where I am going to mount the camera.

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1434220969.201778.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	184760

Sent from my #racecar

Old 06-14-2015, 09:02 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2014 View Post
I looked for a replacement and gave up. There are tons of cameras that use the RCA type connection but not the S-video connection. I hope you hear good news about the other one.
Have you tried looking into an S-video to composite adapter? It should work, but with some degradation in video quality.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:26 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
Had another hour before work. Went ahead and ran the cable from behind the Raxiom to under the cup holders and got it all buttoned back up. Tested the camera to ensure when I glue it back in I put the correct side up. Also tested the left-to-right and its correct (the original specs from the camera said "flip" was not changeable, but it already comes with a mirror image) so things on the rear passenger side of the car are also on the passenger side of the display.

There is no way to turn off the blue lines to my knowledge, and they are straight regardless of camera orientation.

The last thing I uncovered is I may have to remove my license plate frame as its thicker at the top and may interfere with where I am going to mount the camera.

Attachment 184760

Sent from my #racecar
Do you happen to have any pictures of the camera's circuit board? Or any model numbers/text that might be printed on it? It may use an EEPROM for the line image, potentially allowing you to disable it. If it does and I can source the camera for around half the price, I am willing to try a few things.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:23 AM   #21
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Oh, wish I had seen this before this morning. Literally just getting back inside.

Everything works like it's supposed to. Flip the car in reverse and it comes on. I like the lines, I was more mentioning it for anyone else interested. I think it looks great, much cleaner than the one that comes with the Raxiom. Got it all siliconed up last night and it was ready this morning. Popped the plastic trim off and fit the camera to it. Drilled out a bit of the bumper to allow the nut fit flush. Ran the wire from the cup holder under the back seat and thru the trunk out the passenger tail light. Plugged it in and voila. Also, with the Raxiom you can turn the camera on at any time, even while driving forward.

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1434298884.127636.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	184855

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1434298904.244585.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	184856

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1434298924.128639.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	184857

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1434298954.510823.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	184858

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1434298966.647451.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	184859

Sent from my #racecar

Old 06-14-2015, 11:26 AM   #22
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsightlyGuy View Post
Have you tried looking into an S-video to composite adapter? It should work, but with some degradation in video quality.

That may require you to run power to come on with reverse. One of the perks of the Raxiom is all one cable for power and signal.

I'll be able to test out the night time video tonight after work. But I'm extremely happy with the quality of the daytime picture.

Sent from my #racecar

Old 06-14-2015, 11:38 AM   #23
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

And I did have to remove my license plate frame. Probably for the best, don't want to be driving around LSU territory with an Auburn frame on my car, lol. But I'll go hunting for a new one next weekend when I'm back in Bama.

Sent from my #racecar

Old 06-14-2015, 11:50 AM   #24
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1434300599.061941.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	184860

Sent from my #racecar

Old 06-14-2015, 10:07 PM   #25
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Yeah, night time vision is no bueno unless you're in a well lit area.

Dark alley

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1434337588.560364.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	184914

Lit parking lot

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1434337603.993239.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	184915

Sent from my #racecar

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video