Scosche Flash for "Mustang" Instead of "DVD" - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-02-2015, 10:43 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Scosche Flash for "Mustang" Instead of "DVD"

I just installed the Scosche FD1441AB IM MY 2013 V6. All the pictures I have seen show the word "Mustang" in the top portion but mine shows "DVD". Is there a way to fix this? I called Scosche and was told "to check forums. Any ideas?
Stevegrady64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2015, 11:45 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Could always find an engineer or a hacker and pay them a lot of money to have this done I would imagine. But I doubt anyone has really done through the troubles of completely reprogramming this into the head unit. Just send it back if your that displeased with the unit and leave a poor review.

I've heard that the climate control doesn't work when it's to hot or to cold in the car. Seems to me that's when u need it to work the most

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:28 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
I think its just the way it is. Ive never heard of a fix for this. All the pics of these Ive seen installed all just show DVD.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2015, 12:37 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
First post on this forum. I thought I would share my current status with you.

I was disappointed with the same thing when I swapped my radio out last Christmas. Two weeks ago I started working on a small project to push the data I want on the screen. I went ahead and ordered enough parts to build 3 of these. I just got my prototype PCBs in yesterday and got one completed. It is currently running through hour 6 of continuous testing in my office. The next time I go to the shop where my car is currently, I am going to log the data that goes to FDIM (that screen) to make sure all the info I programmed into the micro controller is correct so I can finalize my program.

Once that's set, I plan to offer up the PCB design and parts list to anyone that wants it. The only downside is that the micro controller (a Teensy) I am using runs about $18 and the parts are about $6 - obviously cheaper if bought in bulk. All in all by the time it is purchased and assembled, it is close to $30 in parts + an hour of time. I also think I may need to rethink the voltage reg as it is having to take 14.4V down to 3.3V which makes some heat. Version 2 I want to add in BLE and memory so I can modify the text with my phone. The way the board is currently designed, you have to disconnect 12V, connect USB and recompile the code to make an edit if you wanted to.

Anyway, if you have questions, I'd be glad to answer. I am hoping to have this complete within the next month.

This could also be used to drive things on the HS-CAN like a shift light, and other items on the MS-CAN like door locks. I just haven't logged the data bus enough yet to know what all is there. I also don't know if Ford changes the PIDs between models and years. This could also be taken outside of the auto world too, and used to drive things like instrument clusters for racing simulators, or anything that operates on CAN.

The attached pics show it finished and then running. Right now I am just running it at 14.4V. Every time it pics up data on the ID of the FDIM the light flashes orange - so I know it's running. I'm saturating it with about 20 messages a minute - way higher than the FDIM should ever see. Once I finalize, all of that will get turned off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0234.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	393.6 KB
ID:	190538   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0236.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	398.3 KB
ID:	190539  

MetroRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroRedneck View Post
First post on this forum. I thought I would share my current status with you.

I was disappointed with the same thing when I swapped my radio out last Christmas. Two weeks ago I started working on a small project to push the data I want on the screen. I went ahead and ordered enough parts to build 3 of these. I just got my prototype PCBs in yesterday and got one completed. It is currently running through hour 6 of continuous testing in my office. The next time I go to the shop where my car is currently, I am going to log the data that goes to FDIM (that screen) to make sure all the info I programmed into the micro controller is correct so I can finalize my program.

Once that's set, I plan to offer up the PCB design and parts list to anyone that wants it. The only downside is that the micro controller (a Teensy) I am using runs about $18 and the parts are about $6 - obviously cheaper if bought in bulk. All in all by the time it is purchased and assembled, it is close to $30 in parts + an hour of time. I also think I may need to rethink the voltage reg as it is having to take 14.4V down to 3.3V which makes some heat. Version 2 I want to add in BLE and memory so I can modify the text with my phone. The way the board is currently designed, you have to disconnect 12V, connect USB and recompile the code to make an edit if you wanted to.

Anyway, if you have questions, I'd be glad to answer. I am hoping to have this complete within the next month.

This could also be used to drive things on the HS-CAN like a shift light, and other items on the MS-CAN like door locks. I just haven't logged the data bus enough yet to know what all is there. I also don't know if Ford changes the PIDs between models and years. This could also be taken outside of the auto world too, and used to drive things like instrument clusters for racing simulators, or anything that operates on CAN.

The attached pics show it finished and then running. Right now I am just running it at 14.4V. Every time it pics up data on the ID of the FDIM the light flashes orange - so I know it's running. I'm saturating it with about 20 messages a minute - way higher than the FDIM should ever see. Once I finalize, all of that will get turned off.
That is great! Please post to this thread when you have it ready!!
Old 09-03-2015, 04:32 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Interesting...
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:06 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Got my power steering fixed and data logged the MCAN with the car off. IN order to complete I am going to need to datalog a car with the factory radio still installed. I was able to find the PID and frame sequences to write to the main display, but there are many PIDs with no data being written on the bus. A factory radio I am hoping will send some data to the upper portion of the screen so I can grab it as well. It will take some time, and maybe more effort than I am willing to throw in to uncover all the PIDs. Again I am only interested in one very small part of the data that is here and once I have that, I am likely not going to keep looking.

The main display text on the FDIM is modified by sending a frame to the MCAN with a PID Id of "337". I am at this point unsure if that PID is the same for all areas of the screen (like temperature and the source selection). The main text is sent in a set of 7 frames as follows:

Code:
PID: 337
Frame Length: 8 - typical
10 2B 20 20 20 20 20 20
21 56 6F 6C 75 6D 0 65
22 20 55 70 20 20 20 20
23 20 20 20 20 20 20 20
24 20 20 20 20 20 20 20
25 20 20 20 20 20 20 20
26 20 20 0 0 0 0 0
This was a volume up command. Converted to char this reads:
Code:
+      
!Volume
" Up    
#       
$       
%       
&
If you strip out the sequencing and the DLE command, it easily translates to Volume Up. Volume Down, Track Up, Track Down, Source, etc all follow the same framing format. So to print a new message to the screen, it becomes simple enough to format appropriately and send back to the bus. I need to see what happens when a long message is sent.

0x20 bytes are spaces, so it looks like a long string can be shoved in there.
0x10 is a DLE, so it simply clears the buffer or similar action for the new frame set
0x2B is present in all commands so it is likely just a check
The trailing 4 empty bytes are present on all commands, so again, probably just a check - still not sure.
Another thing that is odd is the 15th byte is always empty. Still not sure why.

Oddly, I did not see any additional commands being sent at the same time when using the steering wheel controls, so actual volume up may be part of a different system.

Unfortunately I ran out of time and was unable to finish testing. I should be able to resume testing this Friday or Saturday.

If anyone had PIDs for Ford that I could reference, it would be so much easier.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Made a little more progress on this. Have my car back at my house so I was able to data log it a little and work on my frame writes to the MCAN. Once I figured out all the PIDs required to write to the bus, it was easy to take control of the two lines on the screen. There are 52 available character slots, and with some looping longer text could be made to scroll. I still can't find the "DVD" text or the byte that holds it in my setup. I need to look at a factory car so I can make that area toggle to something else and back to DVD to figure this out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0247.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	191439  
Old 09-22-2015, 09:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Subbing

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Old 09-23-2015, 01:48 PM   #10
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Redneck Rocks!
Old 09-23-2015, 06:43 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Made a little more progress on this. Have my car back at my house so I was able to data log it a little and work on my frame writes to the MCAN. Once I figured out all the PIDs required to write to the bus, it was easy to take control of the two lines on the screen. There are 52 available character slots, and with some looping longer text could be made to scroll. I still can't find the "DVD" text or the byte that holds it in my setup. I need to look at a factory car so I can make that area toggle to something else and back to DVD to figure this out.
This is great progress! I need this.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:03 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

This is exciting!
Old 09-24-2015, 09:55 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I don't guess anyone living near Lafayette, LA would like to volunteer up a factory radio to test with - preferably with a car so I don't have to swap my radio?

I tried every byte I could find, or think to try last night with no luck. I am fairly certain I have the sequence that hits the bus to edit the text, but I cannot figure out what the proper byte values are for that part - one thing is certain on the data that is there now and that is that the ID of the selected source (DVD) is stored in a byte value. There are probably a dozen or so available - I've seen PHON, AM, FM1, etc in videos.

It is difficult without a test car because I found plenty of info on what frames and pids are called when a button is pushed, but that does not do much good. From what I can tell on the MCAN in my car, there is a full sequence for every command that must be executed - typically with a DLE or header followed by a sequenced payload. For the text to the screen a sequence of 8 frames must be sent. It looks like a sequence of 6 frames are sent to control the source display. Door unlock looks to be controlled by about 5 frames, though I could not get this to work either - but I didn't try real hard. I am more interested in blanking out the top left of that screen and working on the rest of the library to support other MCAN functions later.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:56 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Old 09-25-2015, 12:21 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Can you do this with the factory radio?

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Old 09-25-2015, 12:33 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

Mine doesn't say DVD. Mine actually doesn't say anything. Just gives me the compass and outside temp.

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1443202382.133234.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	191511
Old 09-25-2015, 12:33 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I am posting to follow this... but honestly it is like chineese, lmao... I just hope someone can figure it out for me when I switch to the Maistro
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:33 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
Can you do this with the factory radio?

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Yes. It should work the same, but you would want to maybe work on the timer in case you are scanning channels or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Mine doesn't say DVD. Mine actually doesn't say anything. Just gives me the compass and outside temp.

Attachment 191511
I've heard there are several versions. Most pictures I see have the "DVD" text. Maybe with yours the empty bytes get rendered correctly. I would like to log your car to find out. According to Scosche, "DVD" is the default text from 2010 - 2014 and they have no way to remove it with the current kits. Maybe you got a lucky firmware revision.

What year is your car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlingbeast5.0 View Post
I am posting to follow this... but honestly it is like chineese, lmao... I just hope someone can figure it out for me when I switch to the Maistro
With the Maestro, I don't think you need to mess with this. I'm pretty sure when you spend that much money, you get the benefits of QA. The pictures I see they are routing the correct information up to the screen just like the factory radio.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:38 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I've heard there are several versions. Most pictures I see have the "DVD" text. Maybe with yours the empty bytes get rendered correctly. I would like to log your car to find out. According to Scosche, "DVD" is the default text from 2010 - 2014 and they have no way to remove it with the current kits. Maybe you got a lucky firmware revision.

What year is your car?

My car is a 14. I got the kit on eBay about 10 months ago. It does work great. I was also disappointed when it didn't say mustang but after I read about the people who had the DVD problem I was grateful. Sadly I live in VA so it will be hard for you to probe on my car.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:18 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes. It should work the same, but you would want to maybe work on the timer in case you are scanning channels or something.
That timer thing wouldn't bother me at all. How much would you want for one? I have just the base radio/cd player. Where would one get the OBDII plug? How do you program what you want displayed?

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Old 09-25-2015, 02:34 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
That timer thing wouldn't bother me at all. How much would you want for one? I have just the base radio/cd player. Where would one get the OBDII plug? How do you program what you want displayed?

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
How about once I get it completed, I ship it to you and you pay me for the parts so I can make a replacement.

BTW you don't need an OBDII connector. You can tie directly into the MCAN behind the radio or the FDIM. Right now, you have to open a serial terminal and send in what you want it to read - including the spaces. It also needs to be wired so the 12+ can be removed when you plug in the USB cable because the voltage regulators on the Teensy are still connected and they will smoke if they get 3.3 direct and 5 volt on the other side. Because of a few things like that, I'd rather get it mature enough to send one out.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:29 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How about once I get it completed, I ship it to you and you pay me for the parts so I can make a replacement.

BTW you don't need an OBDII connector. You can tie directly into the MCAN behind the radio or the FDIM. Right now, you have to open a serial terminal and send in what you want it to read - including the spaces. It also needs to be wired so the 12+ can be removed when you plug in the USB cable because the voltage regulators on the Teensy are still connected and they will smoke if they get 3.3 direct and 5 volt on the other side. Because of a few things like that, I'd rather get it mature enough to send one out.
Whatever you wanna do. I would love to have one to customize my display. Just let me know what I would owe you and when you have it ready. I know you're still working on it and that's cool. I'm definitely willing to wait on this.

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Old 09-25-2015, 09:07 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I had a post about CAN decoding on the DIY sub-forum, but I didn't think anyone was interested.

The ID of interest for the radio mode is 3E8. The first byte controls what's displayed.

0x00 shows the date and time on the LCD's two character lines.
0x01 displays AM.
0x02 displays FM1.
0x03 displays FM2.
0x04 displays PHON.
0x05 displays SYNC.
0x06 displays DVD.
0x07 displays AUX.
0x08 displays CD.
0x09 and others appear to be blank.

This behavior should be the same whether you have the character LCD or the navigation LCD. It's also the same for the F-150's LCD.
UnsightlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:15 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

My Mustang doesn't have an LCD, so I purchased a 2012's LCD on eBay. My setup is a bit spartan, but I've been able to determine which messages control what on the LCD. Let me know if you need help decoding anything else.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lcd_setup.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	191530  
Old 09-25-2015, 10:17 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsightlyGuy View Post
I had a post about CAN decoding on the DIY sub-forum, but I didn't think anyone was interested.

The ID of interest for the radio mode is 3E8. The first byte controls what's displayed.

0x00 shows the date and time on the LCD's two character lines.
0x01 displays AM.
0x02 displays FM1.
0x03 displays FM2.
0x04 displays PHON.
0x05 displays SYNC.
0x06 displays DVD.
0x07 displays AUX.
0x08 displays CD.
0x09 and others appear to be blank.

This behavior should be the same whether you have the character LCD or the navigation LCD. It's also the same for the F-150's LCD.
Interesting. I don't have 38E anywhere in my logs.

Out of curiosity, how are you sending your text for the full text in the center? I am having to send frames to 0x336, 0x324, and then 6 frames to 0x337 with a sequence ID. What all have you decoded? I would like to compare notes. Maybe we can setup a google doc or something to share some info. I have also been unsuccessful sending a door unlock. I was this ----> <----- close to buying a FDIM too.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:49 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Just had success getting temp to display using your notes from the other thread. The primary controller is sending the temp from the sensor out every 2 seconds or so.

Edit**
Also had success in getting the Source data to swap - thanks for posting up your info. FYI I posted a few items from my log below. I don't know what the extra bytes in this are doing, but they are there when my key is on. Also the bus is sending 3E8 every 100 milliseconds or so - overriding is going to take constant monitoring.
0x 06 00 64 24 00 00 04 80
Extra bytes only when key is on.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:25 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

OK - I owe you a six pack. I was able to get the desired functionality using the information you provided. I only wish the factory bus wasn't sending the DVD signal by default every second. I do occasionally have one flash because the bus has other frames in the buffer, but all in all not bad!
Old 09-26-2015, 07:28 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Glad to help! I honestly forget what the other bytes indicate because I didn't write anything down.

I've attached what I've decoded for the temperature display. I never bothered to break out the bits for the units or to give it a proper write-up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lcd_temp.png
Views:	92
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	191539  
Old 09-26-2015, 01:39 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Are you still working on anything?

BTW I rewrote the timer so it works correctly and I have the source suppressed while the engine is running. While off, there is less data so it's harder to time. It flickers every 10 secs or so. I still don't understand why ford feels it so important to blast the current source every second.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:48 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Are you still working on anything?
No, not right now. It was too hot in July so I'll probably pick it up in a few weeks if I'm free.

If you're curious, this is the spreadsheet I was using to dump some of the messages.

This is a wiki I started on GitHub to dump decoded messages in. If you want to contribute, let me know.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:37 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
BTW I rewrote the timer so it works correctly and I have the source suppressed while the engine is running. While off, there is less data so it's harder to time. It flickers every 10 secs or so. I still don't understand why ford feels it so important to blast the current source every second.
Yeah, most of the the messages are broadcast in nature, so you can only hope to send them more frequently or devise a method of filtering them. How often are you sending the message out?
Old 09-27-2015, 09:31 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsightlyGuy View Post
Yeah, most of the the messages are broadcast in nature, so you can only hope to send them more frequently or devise a method of filtering them. How often are you sending the message out?
I wrote a filter which helped some. When the car is running it also helps, my guess is due to the increased traffic. I also added a filter so the mc is doing less work. Right now I am sending at 4 times the broadcast and every intercept. Should be 5 times a second. Hasn't caused any issues that I can tell.

I am redesigning my transceiver board to use an esp8266 so I can connect from a phone. Once that's working I'll call the hardware done.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:58 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

New board designed and wifi SOC ordered. Need to get these new PCBs cut and rev 1 will be done. Will support wireless updating of the text from a browser.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	boardWifi.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	191612  
Old 09-28-2015, 11:01 AM   #34
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
New board designed and wifi SOC ordered. Need to get these new PCBs cut and rev 1 will be done. Will support wireless updating of the text from a browser.

Now that's pimp daddy. I would buy one of these from you.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:20 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Now that's pimp daddy. I would buy one of these from you.
Exactly! I definitely want one!

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video