Need advice with speaker setup - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-29-2015, 10:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Need advice with speaker setup

Guys I am looking to upgrade my sound system in the next 2 weeks and wanted some insights from the group.

1. Pioneer speakers or Alpine for the doors and rear deck?

2. I Am not looking for trunk rattling base so should I add a small subwoofer or is the speaker upgrade sufficient for better SQ.

3. If I go the subwoofer route I know I will need an Amp my dilemma is which one and if I don't get the subwoofer should i still get and amp? Will it improve SQ

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Apas717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2015, 09:22 AM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I installed Focals (entry level) in my base model 2012 and it made a big improvement., however since the Stang has 5x7 (6x8) the bass is somewhat lacking. A spkr level input powered sub makes a huge differance but I haven't done that yet. The base model does NOT have pre-outs so you would have to get a spkr level input amp...unless you are adding a sub I wouldn't. The OEM's are some of the worse speakers I've heard in years. Updating all 4 is an afternoon and $150-300 well spent.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:59 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
You can always get a Line output converter to rca and run a normal amp to the sub. Up to you though.

Upgrade the 4 6x8 speakers and would help sound quality to amp those aswell. Don't have to go crazy if your not looking for more volume. Just keep in mind these factory head units distort at half volume on up so you can adjust your amp to the volume and sound you want with your head unit at half volume and them never go higher in the head unit.

Running distortion to any speaker will quickly ruin it.

As for a sub if you listen to rock or country and just want a little bump for the bass drum you can find a lot of decent 8" woofers or even a decent 10" that would keep you happy. Jl audio makes an amazing 8" woofer. Probably way more than you want though. I've had it in a few custom boxes I've designed and it will out slam most 12"subs if properly tuned and in proper box.

Sorry for side tracked there

But IMO you should replace the door speakers with Nvx speakers. There cheap and very good quality. Add a decent 4 channel amp to them. The. Add a smaller 8-10" woofer and mono block amp to power them. This will give you very good sound quality and a lot of tune ability.

20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2015, 09:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20prima10 View Post
You can always get a Line output converter to rca and run a normal amp to the sub. Up to you though.

Upgrade the 4 6x8 speakers and would help sound quality to amp those aswell. Don't have to go crazy if your not looking for more volume. Just keep in mind these factory head units distort at half volume on up so you can adjust your amp to the volume and sound you want with your head unit at half volume and them never go higher in the head unit.

Running distortion to any speaker will quickly ruin it.

As for a sub if you listen to rock or country and just want a little bump for the bass drum you can find a lot of decent 8" woofers or even a decent 10" that would keep you happy. Jl audio makes an amazing 8" woofer. Probably way more than you want though. I've had it in a few custom boxes I've designed and it will out slam most 12"subs if properly tuned and in proper box.

Sorry for side tracked there

But IMO you should replace the door speakers with Nvx speakers. There cheap and very good quality. Add a decent 4 channel amp to them. The. Add a smaller 8-10" woofer and mono block amp to power them. This will give you very good sound quality and a lot of tune ability.

Thanks for the info.

With my being ignorant on audio can you explain the difference between a 4way and mono amp? Am I not able to but just one amp that does it all so that I don't have to run wires for both

2013 Race Red 3.7 Mustang Coupe
Old 07-30-2015, 09:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I installed Focals (entry level) in my base model 2012 and it made a big improvement., however since the Stang has 5x7 (6x8) the bass is somewhat lacking. A spkr level input powered sub makes a huge differance but I haven't done that yet. The base model does NOT have pre-outs so you would have to get a spkr level input amp...unless you are adding a sub I wouldn't. The OEM's are some of the worse speakers I've heard in years. Updating all 4 is an afternoon and $150-300 well spent.

I had a local shop quote me $700 for 4 new speakers a 10 inch sub and a amp. Too much?

Old 07-30-2015, 10:02 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

What do you guys think of this setup? Will I get the sound upgrade am looking for. Is it worth the money?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1438311734.372391.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	188379Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1438311753.310968.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	188380

Old 07-31-2015, 04:54 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

You wouldn't need to run wires for both. You can run one power wire to a distribution block close to the amps. The. Run two wires from the dist block. One to each amp. And run individual grounds to each amp. These need to be less than 3' long.

Now onto amps

4 channel amps will allow you to fine tune and adjust your door and rear deck speakers to your tasting. A two channel amp will work for this if you don't have the factory 8"speakers. I used a 4 channel in my car because I have the 8"s on two channels and the other 4 speakers on the other two channels.
Keep in mind there will be one adjustment for two channels and two adjustments for four channels.

So basically in a four channel amp you can power 2 different size speakers and tune each different type of speaker separately.

Not you could run all your doors on the first two channels and run the sub on the last. However.

Most of the 2/4 channel amps don't have the proper adjustments to run a sub and speakers. Nor do they have the power. Because generally it's a 1:2 power ratio you'll need to have equal output.
By this I mean if your running 200 watts total to all speakers in the car. Your subwoofer will need atleast 400 to be comparable and sound correct with the speakers.

With that being said I personally would recommend using a 2/4 channel amp and then a monoblock amp aswell.

Instal is actually very simple to do l of this. Time consuming yes. But I could easily tell you how to do all of this.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:04 AM   #8
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apas717 View Post
I had a local shop quote me $700 for 4 new speakers a 10 inch sub and a amp. Too much?

it depends on the value of spkrs and amp...also on the quality of the install. idk but gut tells me if both matl and install are good it's a fair price. I'd guess matl is valued at $400-500 so that would be 2-3 hrs of professional labor. It's not too hard to install yourself if you enjoy that kind of stuff so you have to decide how you want to spend your $/time.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:54 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I would assume these are lower quality speakers and sub. As a decent 10" will run you 200 or more. And 4 good speakers will generally run you 100+ a pair. Each amp will run you 180/300

Old 07-31-2015, 06:05 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The alpine amp is great. I've ran it before. The type r speakers are way over priced. You can get Nvx v series for I believe 89.99 a set and they sound a lot better and have better built quality than those type r speakers.

I would avoid the pioneer products. I've had friends bring me pioneer products and they never adjust properly and there subs will blow very easily if you don't tune the correctly.

Honestly for what you want kicker makes several amps that will be in your budget and still produce clean power for you.

For a 10" sub you can get a Nvx. Sound qubed alpine type r etc you can run any sub but every sub will perform differently. For what you are looking for I would recommend the Nvx vcw 10 in a smaller ported box. This will produce clean punchy bass and still give you a decent low end thump.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:08 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20prima10 View Post
The alpine amp is great. I've ran it before. The type r speakers are way over priced. You can get Nvx v series for I believe 89.99 a set and they sound a lot better and have better built quality than those type r speakers.

I would avoid the pioneer products. I've had friends bring me pioneer products and they never adjust properly and there subs will blow very easily if you don't tune the correctly.

Honestly for what you want kicker makes several amps that will be in your budget and still produce clean power for you.

For a 10" sub you can get a Nvx. Sound qubed alpine type r etc you can run any sub but every sub will perform differently. For what you are looking for I would recommend the Nvx vcw 10 in a smaller ported box. This will produce clean punchy bass and still give you a decent low end thump.

Went to a local shop today and they offered to install two 10's with Alpine amp and Polk front and rear speakers for 650? Is it a good deal?

Old 08-01-2015, 07:18 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

All depends on the 10"s the amp and what speakers they use man.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video