Front door speakers not receiving audio - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-04-2015, 08:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Front door speakers not receiving audio

Hi all,

I recently tried switching out my amp for something a little more powerful since I was underpowering my current speakers. I unhooked the battery, switched out the fuse, and took the wires from my current amp to the new one (P600x4). During the gain leveling I noticed that the front channels weren't delivering any audio to the amp (speakers weren't hooked up yet). I left the gain low and hooked the rest back up. As expected, only the rear speakers produced music, but the front driver side speaker buzzed softly (passenger was silent). Altering the gain altered the volume of the buzzing.

I took a good, spare speaker and just hooked it up directly to the head unit (factory nav) output using my Metra harness (72-5600) for both the driver and passenger side. It produced the same results as the amp did. I also just hooked the amp directly to my phone using an RCA->3.5mm and each speaker worked perfectly fine, so it obviously isn't the amp doing it.

For some reason it appears that my front speakers no longer function (the subs still work without issue, I have never touched those). I would simply pull the sound from the rears and push it to the fronts, but then Sync would only play through the driver sub, which isn't exactly workable. Does anyone have any clue what could be going on? Is there a fuse specifically for the front door speakers?

Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2015, 11:21 AM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
w/o insulting and having limited knowledge. Have you checked the F/R balance levels?
Old 08-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

No worries, it's a perfectly legitimate question. I should have mentioned that I ensured that the balance was correct. I even did it all forward and to each individual speaker to see if that did anything, but there was no change.

Thanks for the help though.
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2015, 12:57 PM   #4
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
if some of the connectors are automotive style plugs check those carefully I had an intermittant problem with a system back in the day where it would cut out. It ended up being when I put the connectors together one of the pins would push it's mating pin in some. When you pulled it apart they would get back in position., If needed remove the connectors and hard wire it.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:41 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for your help. I checked the connections and they didn't seem to be loose or anything. Since I was pretty distraught I contacted 4D Tech to check on some information/potential pricing as I was afraid I fried the head unit. They said it was more likely the factory amp probably shorted out. I cut the front passenger wires and ran a cable directly to my line out converter and to my amp. Audio worked perfectly. Guess they were right. Went ahead and ordered a new amp on ebay so I don't need to cut most of the factory wires and run new cables. Figure it's probably better to replace it than hope the rest of the channels don't die and have to replace it anyway down the road. If the new amp doesn't work worst case scenario I just run a bunch of cables and bypass the factory amp altogether for the non-subs. No idea what might have happened, but oh well.

Thanks again!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video