Sound System - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-12-2015, 03:20 AM   #1

Region: California
Sound System

Hey all, i recently bought a 2012 V6 and am not entirely thrilled with the stock stereo setup, whats the most effective way to spend my money fixing this? Would just some new speakers be a good use of money or is that a waste without a whole new setup?
Also if you have any suggestions for speaker, I'm looking to spend between $100-$200 so reccomendations would be appreciated!
NickA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2015, 05:39 AM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I replaced all 4 of my base model 2012's with Focals that I got from Crutchfields bargain bin. It helped a lot, bass is still weak and I would like a speaker level input sub but I'm good with it for now.

Infinity, Polk, Clarion are all decent spkrs
Old 10-12-2015, 09:18 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
One of the first things I did was have a 10" sub installed in the trunk. I have a level adjustment knob under the dash to turn the amp up or down. I have the bass going to the stock speakers turned all the way down, as it's no longer needed. It is a huge improvement and only cost me around $400 installed.

Jeremy
2012 Black PP V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2015, 10:05 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
New head unit will give you the best gains in sound quality. Good speakers can sound ****ty when they aren't getting clean signal from the head unit. You need a good head unit (aka "deck"/"radio")

As far as speakers go, I am not sure what the stock system is set up like in your car. I have coaxial alpine 6.5" SLS speakers in my car because the sound quality of them was superior to what I heard from other speakers in back-to-back comparison (in person). Component speakers with cross-overs are the best way to go for sound quality.

A component set up with a 6x9 woofer and a good tweeter is going to give you excellent bass and very clean mids & highs. They sound really good when you have an amplifier running them.

After that, subwoofers are the way to gain bass. Most people would be satisfied with 2 10" subwoofers running somewhere between 700-1200 peak wattage. As far as I'm concerned, Alpine Type R subs offer high-dollar sound quality, durability, and power but are not the most expensive. JL has very good sound quality, but not that much better than Apline despite costin 2.5x as much.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:43 AM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
OP, Panther has an older model and I'm not sure if he has heard the OEM spkrs in a 2011+. I don't claim to have golden ears but sound is important to me. I started with a spkr upgrade and it is now adequate. As I mentioned with 5x7/6x8 bass is weak but it it a big improvement over stock.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:21 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
either way you do it, either car, you will want to use a sub for bass. if you dont want the extra weight, grab a 8 inch sub of a decent brand name. Then you want to use a good head unit to cut off the bass from the speakers, that way they dont waste power trying to drive full range audio, and your mids and highs will sound much clearer.
for whatever reason, stock head units tend to push a much higher bass signal to the speakers than any after market head unit, but a lot of times the aftermarket head units will sound cleaner.

also, panther, which alpines do you have? I am thinking of upgrading my rears to components on of these days. im not gonna bother upgrading the doors again, unless speaker baffles improve the quality to be on par with how the rears sound.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:24 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I have a 2014 convertible and decided I wanted to keep the factory dash look. It's my understanding that the oem HU directs 75% to the fr speakers. I replaced them with Infinity Kappas. That really improved the over sound. I still lack bass. Putting a sub in the trunk isn't really an option. Still looking for suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 10-17-2015, 10:12 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by papivo View Post
I have a 2014 convertible and decided I wanted to keep the factory dash look. It's my understanding that the oem HU directs 75% to the fr speakers. I replaced them with Infinity Kappas. That really improved the over sound. I still lack bass. Putting a sub in the trunk isn't really an option. Still looking for suggestions.

How much bass are you seeking? I would suggest some amplified component speakers with 6x9 woofers, separate mids, and separate tweeters. The crossovers will deliver each component the parts of the frequency that they are designed to play. Sound quality will increase a lot.

Although, your stock H/U will probably not allow you to change amplifier settings, it would still be a big increase in bass and SQ.

I would pretty much just avoid the "shallow mount subs". I have yet to hear one that didn't immediately make me want to turn the entire stereo off
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:52 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
That's actually a great idea. I'll need to go with 5x7 but I know there are good components available. I can move the Kappas to the rear.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video