Aftermarket Audio /brands pricing thoughts? Need help... Maistro system - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-29-2015, 01:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Aftermarket Audio /brands pricing thoughts? Need help... Maistro system

OK, I am pretty sure I am going to do the Maistro/dataling set up with a Kenwood or Alpine head unit. There are some threads here on that I have followed but any feedback on a good head unit with that set up appreciated.

I am pretty set on 2 10" JL Audio W3 in a box that will go accross the upper back trunk area.

REAL QUESTION:
Speakers. I havent bought squat in years. I used to have Orion Speakers with Fosgate Amps and thought sounded awesome. I have gone to a couple places and I wonder about some of the brands. All legit guys that work on really high end cars but I wonder if I need all that or because they install on Ferrari and Porsche all day and my car is customized they figure they got me hooked. Here are the Brands I have been given as routes to go:

Hertz - one guy says better than his DLS but for the money DLS way to go
DLS - See above
Dynaudio - expensive as hell
Focal - Other place said this good but Dynaudio better
JL ok if go C5 or Z

One guy wants $5,000 for Kenwood, Maistro datalink set up 2 10" JL W3 with Arc amps and DLS comonent 6.5" up front. DPS coaxial 6.5" back.

Other guy wants $6,000 or so same as above but Dynaudio speakers. Didn't even mention amp brand.

This all crazy or sounds right? Should I buy lots stuff I want off Ebay and have a smaller shop just install?
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2015, 04:32 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
My thoughts, that's a lot of money for a sound system. You could do it yourself a lot cheaper. Now if your having custom things done in the trunk it could get expensive. I guess it depends on what your going for and how much you want to pay. I would never spend that kind of money on car audio.
Cooolbreeez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 05:38 AM   #3
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I have the entry level Focals and once they broke in (took a long time) I like them....obviously you want to get a killer system but since cars will only ever sound decent due to the speaker placement/listening environment is it worth that much? Sometimes good enough is all you need.

do what you want but $5000-6000!!! only to have it drowned out by Pype Bombs.....no way. I spent that kind of money on my home system but never in a car.
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2015, 08:39 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Ya I am trinking you guys are right. My favorite music 40% of time is windows down exhaust. I do love a good system though. the problem is the Maistro system with head unit alone is probably 1400. I am probably going to go a little cheaper. nervous about doing myself though. Dont suppose anyone here good at car stereo and electronics or have an installer friend I can buy stuff online and pay to install down here in the south Florida area.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:47 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I like to listen to the engine sing... That much sound system would drown out that pretty music and the cost would severely hinder my Horse power budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Mike roush02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:08 AM   #6
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I like music and like good sound. idk what level your car is but the speakers in the base model stunk. I upgraded all 4 (afternoon job <$250) and it is OK. I would like to add a powered spkr level sub but meh......mayhap if I stumble across one cheap.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:46 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
My whole system is swapped. Kenwood dvd, Polk 660 power amp, punch 6x9 speakers

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Mike roush02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:54 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I added a single 10" sub to my base stereo and it made a huge difference. I just tapped into the rear speakers with a line out converter I purchased for a few bucks, ran my amp wire and was done in about an hour. Eventually I will switch out the door speakers, every body says that makes a huge difference. I do love to listen to the exhaust but I really enjoy listening to music in my car as well. Just not $6k kind of love.
Cooolbreeez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:17 AM   #9

Region: California
Why dont you shop at sonicelectronix.com?

Sent from my SM-G360P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Bullittone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:23 AM   #10

Get a alpine deck, some fosgate front and rear speaker components but ditch the passive crossovers , and get your self a 4ch amplifier and go active crossovers. Two channels powering the front rear tweeters, and the other two channels powering the front rear speakers, setting your crossovers hi and low separately. You will not regreat it.( mobile electronics certified technician 15+years)

Old 11-05-2015, 07:24 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullittone View Post
Why dont you shop at sonicelectronix.com?

checked there and Crutchfield. I guess I just need to decide the direction I want to go. All in or pretty good. lol. This comes after Vortech so time to decide lol
Old 11-05-2015, 07:26 AM   #12

Then get maybe a 12" subwoofer (300-400watts rms) and amplifier same wattage (rms) maybe you will spend around $500-$600 ?

Old 11-05-2015, 02:01 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullittone View Post
Then get maybe a 12" subwoofer (300-400watts rms) and amplifier same wattage (rms) maybe you will spend around $500-$600 ?

I could... but really the subs arent the big part. I mean they arent cheap but not too bad. I figure I am just going to go listen again. I listen to it all, country, metal rap and OS rock so I need full range clear when I want it.

May need to hit a car audio forum when time comes. I am thinking the DLS or Focal speakers or upper end JL. hell I dont know lol I just want a 650 rwhp car that looks sick and sounds perfect. Is it so much to ask!! need more cash I guess
Old 11-07-2015, 06:11 PM   #14

You dont need to spend much. Many people think that the more expensive speakers and amps give you the best sound quality, but its mainly just the brand there selling you. Think about it! Lets say you buy a $300k Ferrari when you can buy a $80k challenger hellcat but the hell cat gives you more power! .
You can buy $50 fosgatespeakers and still sound good as the $150 jlaudios or focal.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video