Thoughts on Pioneer 8100 Nex/backup camera ? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-28-2016, 10:32 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Thoughts on Pioneer 8100 Nex/backup camera ?

I am going to be buying a Pioneer 8100 Nex so I can have an in dash navigation system and and upgraded radio. I will be getting the install things to keep synch and steering wheel controls and Sirius radio (basically free - get a rebate for it and 3 free months to add to my subscription LOL. Seriously - anybody have opinions on the Pioneer? Keeping the synch ? Does anyone have a picture of the finished install I am having a hard time visualizing it. I am buying all I need from Crutchfield. I found a good installer who is very reasonable as it is more than my husband or I could do especially the backup camera. Also looking for opinions on one that would be good day or night and sleek - not poking out from above the license plate. I did see they had one that is built into a thin license plate holder about 150 dollars...just not sure. I have a similar thread in the 2014 sub forum. Looking for opinions and if at all possible a picture or image of what it will look like installed.

TIA
Both Vert and Coupe 6 speed Corsa Sport Axleback GT500 Quad Exhaust, comfort package
GTGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2016, 06:21 AM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
they sell spoilers with b/up cameras in them....it's expensive since they need painting. just a suggestion from someone looking to buy a used race red spoiler
Old 02-29-2016, 03:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I kinda pushed the idea of a new spoiler with the factory backup camera out of the picture thinking of the dollar signs. As it is I'm looking at about $2000 - the Pioneer is on sale for a 1000. Then you need a kit to keep the steering wheel controls, the back-up camera, the Sirius tuner (which turns out to be free - you buy it for 70 and get a 70 dollar rebate and 3 free months of service. A splicer to use the existing GPS antenna with the unit and of course the install kit. And trying to figure out how it will all look. And what I lose if anything with not keeping Synch which the only part I use is the free part to synch my phone.
Both Vert and Coupe 6 speed Corsa Sport Axleback GT500 Quad Exhaust, comfort package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2016, 04:13 PM   #4
Staff

Regular
Staff

stand alone GPS and just install a stand alone b/up camera...idk how you are for directions but if you only use GPS 1x per month you can deal with it on the dash/window.

I admit to being cheap (frugal)
Old 03-02-2016, 10:44 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well ordered the Pioneer 8100 Nex (on sale as well as all the needed assembly parts because the new 8200 are just starting to come out). Couldn't justify the cost of going with the 8200. Above my budget. Got the Scosche FD1441 B Dash Kit - the head unit is at the bottom - which I didn't really like but I wanted to keep climate control buttons just in case the Pioneer goes out for some reason and it has all the climate control. BRRRR or HOTTTTTT. So above the head unit will be touch screen climate control and buttons on the side of it. Above that, the factory radio screen will be which I will keep for time and temp etc. Got a piece of acrylic tinted plastic to replace the stupid one that came with the car that is scratched and smudged permanently. Apparently a problem with Ford. Thought about tempered glass but it was too hard to find someone to do it and when I did to expensive to get a small piece to use. 50-100. The piece I bought was like 24 bucks shipped and I talked to a guy who also had bought it last fall and he said, fits perfect and looks brand new.
Got all the assembly pieces needed. Dropped Synch - wasn't using it except for the bluetooth on the phone and that will be taken care of by the Pioneer. Got the kit to keep all the use of the steering column buttons. Got the Sirius XM tuner (comes free - pay 70.00 - get a 70 rebate and 3 free months of service to add to my subscription. Got anti-glare screen for the Head Unit - needed with a convertible. Got all the wiring for splitting the existing GPS antenna so I don't have to have an extra. The only thing that will be mounted will be the external speaker and will be hidden behind the rear view mirror. I think I am going to like the looks of it all when it is done.

Also got Optic KVC9101R back-up camera - you can erase the lines and reset them using the head unit.to the distances you want. Finally will be able to see where I am when I am backing up and won't be afraid of running over a child.

Found a great installer (very reasonably priced and knows his stuff) not too far from home. Great reputation - 1 man company. (Even Amazon recommends him - fully vetted) Says he can probably get it all done in a day unless we have to seal the plastic piece in the original radio slot. Some people said there was enough sealant after taking it off that nothing more was needed. Some used sealer and let it sit for 24 hours. So it will depend on what the installer finds. So very exciting - all though I have been told by my husband that he has been generous to this point but NOW I AM FINISHED! No more changes. LOL - I really wasn't wanting anything else so.....we shall see. He still will decide if he wants the backup camera after he see's how mine works and perhaps switch his stock exhaust to my Corsa GT500 Quad Sport Axlebacks - which I can hardly wait to hear again. His GT/CS came with the Ford Navigation system. Be interesting to see the differences.

Sorry Strange Mud about not giving up the Spoiler to get the stock back-up camera.....

I still have my Garmin - but there is just no room in the front cockpit of these GT's for anything and to hang my phone from the charger and use Google Maps - and try to shift around corners and phone is flying around......just doesn't work for me. But I am also known as someone who isn't afraid to spend some money to do something up nice. Some guys are into the engine - I am more into the sound - radio and exhaust LOL.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:40 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

get this harness http://www.crutchfield.com/S-u346HkR...ce-Module.html you retain steering wheel controls, and Sync, although if you have an Android or iphone, youll never need or use Sync
Old 03-08-2016, 09:20 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I have an Android Phone so decided not to retain Synch. Everything getting installed this upcoming Saturday. Very excited and praying no problems with any of the equipment. Hard to believe she will be out of hibernation in a day or so. Supposed to get up to 60 something today and back in the 50's for the next week. I will have to call Sirius and start it back up for Saturday (it is on a hold status) so when he installs the tuner for it - we can check it out. . Will send before and after shots. Will also show the backup camera too - supposed to be the size of a nickle and has infrared and pretty much all you need.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:34 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Im interested in seeing the camera, Im looking at adding one to my Mustang and the wife's Explorer. anxious to hear what you think about Android Auto, quite simply, it is amazing!
Old 03-15-2016, 07:32 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
One thing I will advise you on since you have a vert. . . If your car is loud, it may be hard to hear the nav voice and alerts. I have the appradio 4 in my car and I can barely hear any of the functions I bought the unit for. lol. Otherwise pretty cool unit. I do not find that the Appradio stuff really had any worth with the HDMI adapter over just the normal sync cable and carplay functions. I think Android Auto is pretty similar
PMPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:58 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I do have a vert. I haven't had any problems with the alerts (she shouts - I am shutting her down (on you are speeding) The turn instructions are way loud too - I have to adjust the volume down on that as well. The mic is where the synch mic was up by the lights above the rearview mirror and my husband says he heres weird glugging noise when we are talking- like I am underwater - but only every now and again. Not sure what to do about that - get a better mic - or try to have it moved. One of the wiring harnesses for the steering column buttons was bad and we are replacing it - Bought a Scosche install kit and for some reason the climate controls are screwed up. The installer talked with them and he has to do a firmware reboot sort of thing to it and it should take care of the problem. So when the part comes tomorrow - we take her back and he'll put in the new wiring harness and the reboot and all should be good. I like the back-up camera. The Pioneer allowed us to erase the lines it came with and put in lines that make more sense. 1 foot and 3 foot. It is nice to see what is behind you and a wide view as well. Best thing I did and it doesn't look crappy on the back of the vehicle - you hardly notice it above the middle of the license plate.

My car is loud and my husband says it comes quite clear thru the phone mic when we talk -he can hear the rumble and the shifting. LOL. But so nice to be able to talk without an earpiece. My phone for whatever reason was having a hard problem synching using the Ford synch. This is much better. I haven't tried out the Android Auto yet - but he gave me a demo on his truck before we installed my equipment and it is pretty cool - to have the google maps as well and all the streaming music (all though you can do that thru bluetooth by just turning it on your phone and setting it to bluetooth. I also have Sirius - I have to switch it over to the new radio yet - waiting till all is finished . Installer did a great professional job and was only 300 dollars. Can't tell it didn't come from the factory the way it is. It sounds great with the Shaker sound system - and I've been warned not to play it too loud - it could easily blow out the speakers LOL.

I had turned the car off but hadn't gotten out yet, so you don't see the climate controls in the window in the middle - I replaced the nasty screen on top with a piece of acrylic pre-tinted plexiglass. It attracts dust but doesn't scratch or smudge like the other piece - it shows the outside temp and the direction and if I use the buttons on the steering wheel it will show the last one. After you have left the car and come back and start up - it shows temp, direction and DVD. But I am ok with that. I will let you know more after everything is working and I've had a chance to play with it. So far I am very happy with it. Will be ecstatic when all works. The reason I have the extra climate control buttons on the kit rather than just screen - if the pioneer should go bad for some reason I still have climate control - I thought that was a very nice idea on the part of the installer.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:03 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

So yours does maps through bluetooth? I have to tether my phone for maps on mine since Apple Car play only seems to work tethered. Well the audio would work, just not the map on the screen without tethered.
Yea my car is too damn loud for the directions. I gotta mess with it more when i get time. I know the mic pickup doesnt hear me either because the car is too loud. Im gonna try to move it and see if it picks up better in a diff location

Looks great though! I like these screens alot better than the matte screens!
PMPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:20 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMPerformance View Post
So yours does maps through bluetooth? I have to tether my phone for maps on mine since Apple Car play only seems to work tethered. Well the audio would work, just not the map on the screen without tethered.
Yea my car is too damn loud for the directions. I gotta mess with it more when i get time. I know the mic pickup doesnt hear me either because the car is too loud. Im gonna try to move it and see if it picks up better in a diff location

Looks great though! I like these screens alot better than the matte screens!
It comes with maps with the Pioneer 8100 - or you can use the google maps from your phone through Android Play. I don't see a problem with using the ones that come with the Pioneer - except to update them - it will cost - just like a garmin will. They are 3D and if you look at some U-Tube reviews of the navigation on the Pioneer 8100 Nex - it shows examples of both map systems. Yes you have to be tethered to the unit with your phone if you want to use google maps. I don't expect I will want to do that. But I can bluetooth all streaming music and phone messages (texts) - you can answer them, you can access your contacts - I'm not sure but I think you could email if you want by voice. Haven't checked that yet. So much to learn with this system - it offers alot. You can check for restaurants, gas stations, hotels - all sorts of things by voice or by touch screen. I have extra USB outputs in the console so I can connect my phone there and just lay it in the cup holder - the wires have a place to feed through so they are flopping around. It is pretty cool. But volume on warnings - I am turning off and doing visual only - I guess you can't turn down her screaming voice. But I am fairly sure I can turn down the volumn on the directions on the navigator voice. Otherwise she is very loud.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:23 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Ahh ok, I didnt realize that had maps built in. I think that is why I opted to save money and get the one that I did. I figured if I can just plug in my phone and use the carplay functions, I was cool with that.
I gotta play around with mine more to see what all i can do via bluetooth. I think the texting and siri stuff is only tethered on mine. I only really drove the car 2x since I installed it and havent messed with it much yet.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:36 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

very nice! I'm sure you'll be happy with it. what sort of issues are you having with the Scosche climate controls? I was initially having issues too, but turns out I didn't plug in the second usb update harness, solved all my issues

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2016, 12:23 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
very nice! I'm sure you'll be happy with it. what sort of issues are you having with the Scosche climate controls? I was initially having issues too, but turns out I didn't plug in the second usb update harness, solved all my issues

We can't get the air flow to work right consistantly - move it from defrost to front to feet. The circulate air within the car doesn't work at all (the button doesn't light up) and the same with the rear window defrost- isn't working at all and not lighting up. The fan can stick at one speed. Just glichy type stuff. According to Scosche they said he needs to do a firmware update and that should solve the problem - I don't know if that means the second usb harness. And we are getting a new harness that will make 3 buttons on the steering wheel work. PAC RP4-FD11 Wiring Interface is the part that needs replacing.
I may mention to our installer about the second USB Update Harness needs to be plugged in properly....
Old 03-15-2016, 03:48 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I made the mistake of only plugging in the factory hvac harness, I left out the usb firmware harness, it caused all sorts of issues, if I tried using either defrost button, it locked up the Scosche climate controls

Old 03-16-2016, 10:24 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I made the mistake of only plugging in the factory hvac harness, I left out the usb firmware harness, it caused all sorts of issues, if I tried using either defrost button, it locked up the Scosche climate controls

I printed out what you said Scott in case the installer missed it. I find it hard to believe he is very good - but everyone is human and can make a mistake. Thanks for sharing
Old 03-17-2016, 12:23 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I told that to my installer and sure enough that and a firmware update was the problem - the climate works great now. Only problem is still the synch buttons on the steering wheel won't work. He has tried another part tried resisters etc - got the buttons to work but not the other 5 that were working. He has an idea he is going to try tonight. Otherwise I may have to either buy something to maintain the synch buttons (will not leave the car in a position where they don't work in case of resale) or we will put it back to stock - here's praying that (going back to stock) is not the final decision!
Old 03-17-2016, 03:55 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

thats great!!!! glad you got it resolved, what did you use to retain your steering wheel controls?
Old 03-18-2016, 08:28 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

He used a Pac harnass - I'm not sure how he did it but he finally got all of it to work without buying the wiring to keep the synch. PAC RP4-FD11 05-Up Ford/Linc/Merc interface/SWI. I believe he rewired it himself and programmed the buttons that wouldn't work. Now it all works and I am a very happy camper. I had to tell him if he couldn't get the buttons to work - I wanted him to take everything out and put it to stock. I didn't want any original equipment not to work. Probably got him thinking a bit harder on a solution -but he is quite smart - I didn't understand half of what he told me he was doing LOL. Why I hired an installer. He did increase his installation price because of it - but if we would have had to buy synch controls that would have cost more than what he increased his bill by. He is a good guy. We can't pick it up today - to many plans after work. But get her back tomorrow morning. Can hardly wait - especially seeing as I figured out how to shut down that rude woman shouting at me everytime I went 1 mile over the limit that I was speeding. Now it will show an image in the corner and I can set it for up to 130 percent over the limit before it shows. Or turn it off completely. I think about 112 percent on highways and 120 percent in town should work. Thanks for your help Scott. Not having that one usb firmware plugged in was the problem with the climate controls. I have gotten a lot of good advice on this forum. This place rocks! I also bet he never takes on another Mustang again without increasing his hourly rate LOL.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:04 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

glad he got it figured it out, you will love the 8100, and android auto if you plan on using it

Old 03-18-2016, 10:43 AM   #22
Staff

Regular
Staff

30% over the limit or 130% over the limit?

props to your guy, if you like it after one month go back and say thx....most folks don't come back to give you props. He'll remember you.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:54 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
30% over the limit or 130% over the limit?

props to your guy, if you like it after one month go back and say thx....most folks don't come back to give you props. He'll remember you.
30 percent over the limit - but it is strange you set it at 130% I think LOL - I will have to experiment. I will redo the math to keep it within the in excess limit of 15 miles over. Don't want double points - I had one ticket in my driving career and it was in excess - I didn't go to court (should have - as they usually drop half the points) In Wisconsin it takes 5 years to get it cleared from your record. I have until November of this year - then I can look around at other insurance rates. i will remember that to go back and thank him. He has had such a headache with this and has done a beautiful job. He deserves thanks!
Old 03-18-2016, 01:12 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
glad he got it figured it out, you will love the 8100, and android auto if you plan on using it

Yeah when I pick it up tomorrow I will hook it up and get the Android Auto synched in to my phone. I am excited about all the different things I will be able to do. Still have to get my Sirius set back up too. I will wait till I get it home so in case there are any problems I am there in the car.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:02 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTGirl View Post
Yeah when I pick it up tomorrow I will hook it up and get the Android Auto synched in to my phone. I am excited about all the different things I will be able to do. Still have to get my Sirius set back up too. I will wait till I get it home so in case there are any problems I am there in the car.
did you get the Sirius tuner? it's part # svx300

Old 03-21-2016, 08:33 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I did! - it's free. You pay 69.99 and get a Visa Card for 70 bucks. The sound of the stereo is amazing too. I figured out how to get the lady that literally shouted at you that you were speeding to shut up - now I just get an image (if I am paying attention) and found the volume controls for the turn by turn instructions and turned them down -they about broke your eardrums. I can answer the phone from my steering control but to make a phone call I do have to hit a button on the head unit - after that it is all hands free. I can mute the radio from the steering wheel as well. He did a great job. Tried the heated seats this morning - its is 28 right now and they worked great as did the heat. The manual is over 200 pages of information - unreal. I am a happy camper. Love the look - just wish the head unit was higher is all - but I can live with it down where it is.

Before and after shots

So much to learn - this unit is amazing what it can do and I haven't even started with Android Play yet.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:05 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

awesome! looks amazing

Old 03-21-2016, 10:02 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

He did a great install job. Looks factory. We are happy! Your mix between 2 sets with the headunit up higher would be the better install but.....this ain't bad at all. So much is voice controlled that being lower like that doesn't really bother us - unless we are looking at the map....but you get used to that too.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:08 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I will have to post a picture with the back-up camera engaged to and a shot from the rear of the car- it doesn't look bad at all.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:09 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

yeah, Id really like to see the camera, curious on the size and mounting location. Im glad you like the setup, I love love love my Nex unit and Android Auto is amazing! wait until you try it. Im trying to get my wife to pickup a 4100Nex for her Explorer to use with her iphone, but lol she's too frugal
Old 03-21-2016, 12:07 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yeah, Id really like to see the camera, curious on the size and mounting location. Im glad you like the setup, I love love love my Nex unit and Android Auto is amazing! wait until you try it. Im trying to get my wife to pickup a 4100Nex for her Explorer to use with her iphone, but lol she's too frugal
I have Amazon streaming on my phone - and it popped up when I hooked the phone to Android Play - does it not support Amazon? I did see though that it supports Audible - which is great because I have a ton of audible books and cool to listen to when driving if you get tired of music. LOL.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:19 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

You are able to change the distance of the lines if you want. I changed mine to 1 foot and 3 feet. The little bit of red at the very bottom is the bumper.

How it looks from the back of the car.

What I got was a Optix RVC910IR Rear View Camera with IR

Item #074RV910IR - bought from Crutchfield 79.99 Like the idea of infra red for night. I haven't tried it yet but I am sure it will come in handy. I think, not sure but think I can turn the reverse view on even when driving to see what is behind you. I have to check into that as well. I am so happy now. I don't need upgrades to speed or performance - I have the sound I like and the stereo/navigation/blue tooth and back-up camera I've wanted. I'm good to go.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:17 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

it should support amazon streaming music, but I've never tried honestly. wow that looks nice, it's pretty small too, I may look into that one

Old 03-29-2016, 03:53 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Yeah great radio. I really like mine. If you haven't discovered that it is tilt-able take note that you wanna make sure it clears your gear shift. When you start the car it will tilt and crash into it if it's too far.

Also if you haven't already on youtube there's vids on how you can turn off the annoying warning and it lets you work the nav and passengers can enjoy DVD's while driving. Other wise the parking brake has to be on...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0907.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	198983  
2014 MCOA, V6 PREMIUM, PERFORMANCE PACKAGE, COMFORT PACKAGE, SECURITY PACKAGE, DEEP IMPACT BLUE WITH SILVER CUSTOM COBRA STYLE STRIPES, AIRAID TUBE, TINTED 35%, PIONEER 8000 NEX, REAR CAMERA, BORLA TOUR AXLE BACK, K&N FILTER. JLT OIL CATCH CAN, CUSTOM MADE HOOD STRUTS, BBK SHORTY CERAMIC

heebe_geebe is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video