Speed Up Boot of Stereo - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-24-2016, 04:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Speed Up Boot of Stereo

I have a Kenwood DNX692 with the MUS1 setup and the boot time from key turn until radio function is about 25+ secs and even after just a few days with this system I've become a bit annoyed waiting since I would like to use the backup camera etc faster.

I also have a 2016 Ford Escape and the moment you open the doors it starts booting up the stereo so you can use all the features faster.

I was thinking about setting up a relay activated by the door switch or dome light and with possibly a capacitor (to prevent power off when turning key from ACC to Start) in line with the ACC power of the radio. Was curious if anyone else has attempted this and if so what's the best way to do it, so that I don't have to waste the time figuring it out myself.

Just have to decide which line to tap into for either the ground of 12V+ to activate the relay and what size capacitor is needed to temporarily keep the stereo from shutting off during the key turn.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.]
Thanx
wmschoonover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2016, 04:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know any of the tedious details you need, but I wouldn't tap it into the dome light. If you did, every time you just unlock your car to get something out your radio will then start booting up.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:45 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

At a stand still at the moment until I figure this out... yes you are right, the dome does come on when you unlock so that's not really a good option. I had never really paid attention to that, but then again I've only had my Mustang for a couple of weeks. If I did the door switch, then the moment you closed the door it would stop booting, unless I wired in a bunch of capacitors to keep it up and running until I turned the key.... not really a good idea though.

So I guess it's back to the drawing board at the moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2016, 07:27 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

either live with it, or replace it, there is no fix, I definitely do not recommend what youre thinking about trying. there is a setting when using the ADS harness to keep power going to the headunit while cranking, but thats only available if youre using the ADS harness
Old 03-28-2016, 07:37 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
That's how long it takes for that particular headunit to boot. If you don't like it, get another one or deal with it. What you are going to do will likely fry it.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:28 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I won't fry it, it's no different than starting the car with the key by using a relay. The relay will only power up when triggered which would be tapped into the same ACC wire that turns on the radio when you switch the key to ACC. It's like turning the key faster. The capacitor will just keep the power connection from being closed a fraction of a second when you turn it from ACC to START. The capacitor will be on the relay switch controlling side so it only keeps the switch open. Once the switch is unpowered then it will close that switch after a few secs when the capacitor runs out of power.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:53 AM   #7
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
how about a timed relay (delay off) picked up by dome light or unlock signal have the relay coil p/up by either of those and go directly to battery (fused) through contacts to radio.

http://www.amazon.com/Timer-Delay-Re.../dp/B00PD65UGA
Old 03-28-2016, 10:22 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

dude did you even read my post????? if you have the ADS Maestro there is a setting to keep power going to the radio while cranking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
there is a setting when using the ADS harness to keep power going to the headunit while cranking, but thats only available if youre using the ADS harness
Old 03-28-2016, 12:26 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I have the maestro but I didn't see an option for that when setting it up. Guess I'll have to look into that further, but that only fixes half the issue and doesn't start it up faster.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:32 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmschoonover View Post
I have the maestro but I didn't see an option for that when setting it up. Guess I'll have to look into that further, but that only fixes half the issue and doesn't start it up faster.
the setting should be in the Maestro settings on the headunit, and it's a sad fact of life that Kenwoods are known to boot up slow, it's my understanding that if you have one, the rear view camera will come on right away during boot

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2016, 01:45 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Sure hope the camera does... Have to install it next week with a bunch of other mods so I wouldn't know just yet. It just annoys me if I'm playing off the USB cause after the boot it has to scan the USB before starting again... Hence the desire for a faster boot.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:05 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks scott_0

Found the setting and got that turned on
Old 03-28-2016, 06:40 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmschoonover View Post
Thanks scott_0

Found the setting and got that turned on
hope it makes your experience better, but sadly, the Kenwood units are known to have a longer boot time, never bothered me when I had my dnx890hd, my Pioneer 8100nex boots up a bit faster

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2016, 08:04 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

As long as the camera can kick in while it's still booting I'll probably live with it, but it's definitely something I'll keep working on, cause the idea of having the USB playing by the time I shift the car in gear is something I'm really wanting.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video