Powered Subwoofer Enclosures - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-11-2016, 08:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Powered Subwoofer Enclosures

Curious if anyone has any experience with a powered subwoofer enclosure. Prefer non-bass tube type setups. I'd like a little bit a bass since even after replacing the speakers and head unit, there is little bass. I've read some reviews on some of them and they sometimes fail after a while.

If I can't find something I'm happy with, I'll end up with a box with probably a single 10" sub and possibly a 5 channel amp to power all the speakers. Just looking for a lower cost and less time demanding option since I like to listen to the engine and will even more after I get my axle back's I plan to purchase soon.
wmschoonover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2016, 05:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Pretty happy with my Kicker sub and enclosure. Custom designed to fit into the right rear corner of the trunk for the S197 coupe at least. Shop around for the best price...

Kicker VSS™ SubStage™ SMUS05 Custom-fit powered subwoofer for 2005-up Ford Mustang coupe at Crutchfield.com
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:37 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Have you had it long? Any changes in performance etc? What kind of bass are you getting (decent or actual deep bass)?

Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2016, 01:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmschoonover View Post
Have you had it long? Any changes in performance etc? What kind of bass are you getting (decent or actual deep bass)?

Thanx
I've had it for about a year and half I think, maybe closer to two years. No changes in performance other than the initial break in if you will. My experiences with speakers is that their sound improves, particularly subs, as their suspension loosens up after the first several hours (I dunno 50 - 100 hrs?) of use.
The bass is well defined tight, crisp and thumping, not that booming rolling distorted sloppy sound that vibrates everything in your car. I like to feel it thump me in the chest, not reverberate in my ears. I'm very pleased with it but speakers are a very individual subjective thing.

I also like that it does not sacrifice any really usable trunk space.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:55 PM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
it looked nice till I saw the price......I'll spend real $ on home stereo but not a car

although as ya mentioned the amount of real space it uses is great
Old 04-13-2016, 04:50 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
it looked nice till I saw the price.....
Yeah it's actually cheaper on that site than others but for $699 I'm more likely to purchase a 5 channel amp, a sheet of MDF, carpet, an amp wiring kit, and a sub or two and get the same or better results.

I already have a Kenwood DNX692 and Kicker 40CS684 6x8's all around so I might as well as finish the project but not sure I want to power the front and rear all the time.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Most enclosed powered subs aren't worth it unless you're looking for just a little bit of extra bass in a quieter car. Most of us have louder exhaust and a powered sub isn't gonna cut it (or it will be way too expensive).
Much better to go for a quality sub, box, and amp separately for that kind of money.
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I like that the Kicker sub tucks nicely out of the way in the corner of the trunk, that's worth something to me as I need to fit my mother's wheel chair in there occasionally. I've had no problem hearing it above my Borlas. It provides a substantial boost over OEM but now my problem is that it rattles the hell out of the center rear view mirror....
Old 05-10-2016, 02:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJBertrand View Post
I like that the Kicker sub tucks nicely out of the way in the corner of the trunk, that's worth something to me as I need to fit my mother's wheel chair in there occasionally. I've had no problem hearing it above my Borlas. It provides a substantial boost over OEM but now my problem is that it rattles the hell out of the center rear view mirror....
The rear view rattle can usually be cured by cramming a rubber gasket or hairtie or similar into the space between the mounting arm and the windshield.
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video