Help with Alpine MRV M500 & S Type Sub Tuning - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-04-2016, 06:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Help with Alpine MRV M500 & S Type Sub Tuning

Whats the best setting for a base gt? This is my first amp and sub ever so im not experience with this, I currently have gain at 50%, frequency and bass gain at 25%.
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2016, 01:07 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
The best way to do it is set bass boost to 0, forever. Don't use bass boost.
Start with gain all the way down. Turn your stereo to where it starts to sound distorted, then back it off 2 or 3 clicks so it sounds clear again.
Then do the same with your sub amplifier.
After that you can fine tune with the remote sub knob if your setup came with one, or use the bass settings on your radio. Gain is not meant to be a volume control, it is meant to ensure your amplifier is receiving the correct signal.
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:37 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by noldevin View Post
The best way to do it is set bass boost to 0, forever. Don't use bass boost.
Start with gain all the way down. Turn your stereo to where it starts to sound distorted, then back it off 2 or 3 clicks so it sounds clear again.
Then do the same with your sub amplifier.
After that you can fine tune with the remote sub knob if your setup came with one, or use the bass settings on your radio. Gain is not meant to be a volume control, it is meant to ensure your amplifier is receiving the correct signal.
Havent messed around with gains yet, i have it at 1/4 or 25%, and i can turn my head unit all the way up without distort. Should i mess around and increase gain?
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2016, 07:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

You definitely shouldn't be able to turn the head up all the way without hearing distortion, maybe you're just less picky about sound quality. Nearly every ampifier has distortion near the top, as do most factory speakers.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:34 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You definitely shouldn't be able to turn the head up all the way without hearing distortion, maybe you're just less picky about sound quality. Nearly every ampifier has distortion near the top, as do most factory speakers.
How much gain would good for a 2013 mustang gt base model with upgraded pioneer door speakers only?
Old 05-18-2016, 05:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

It doesn't work that way, the only way to do it is like I said before.
I can pretty much guarantee the stock head is distorting at or before full volume, it's not THAT good... To re-clarify...

Turn gain and bass boost to 0.
Sit in the driver seat, turn radio up until the speakers (not the sub) distorts or clips, then back it off to JUST where it isn't distorted anymore. This is your "max" volume.
Then move to the amp, and increase the gain until the sub begins to distort (it will sound fuzzy, clipped, or unclear). Back it off until just when the distortion goes away. That is where your gain should be.

Then you can use the Bass setting in your radio or the remote volume knob for fine tuning or add a little bass boost if you need a little more. If your amp has a low pass filter (it should), you'll want to set it in the 50-90hz range, but you can play with that to your liking. Just don't run it with no filter.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It doesn't work that way, the only way to do it is like I said before.
I can pretty much guarantee the stock head is distorting at or before full volume, it's not THAT good... To re-clarify...

Turn gain and bass boost to 0.
Sit in the driver seat, turn radio up until the speakers (not the sub) distorts or clips, then back it off to JUST where it isn't distorted anymore. This is your "max" volume.
Then move to the amp, and increase the gain until the sub begins to distort (it will sound fuzzy, clipped, or unclear). Back it off until just when the distortion goes away. That is where your gain should be.

Then you can use the Bass setting in your radio or the remote volume knob for fine tuning or add a little bass boost if you need a little more. If your amp has a low pass filter (it should), you'll want to set it in the 50-90hz range, but you can play with that to your liking. Just don't run it with no filter.
Gain Settings
Method 2 step 3, are they saying use the audio file 1 khz clean in step 4 and play it until you hear clipping?
Old 05-18-2016, 06:23 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkawak View Post
Gain Settings
Method 2 step 3, are they saying use the audio file 1 khz clean in step 4 and play it until you hear clipping?
If you're an audiophile you'd probably use a tone file to set your stuff up, but I've had good results just setting it using a few songs that represent the range of music I normally listen to.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you're an audiophile you'd probably use a tone file to set your stuff up, but I've had good results just setting it using a few songs that represent the range of music I normally listen to.
but is that what the article is asking? to play that 1 khz and set the gain? what does "Put on a test tone near the center of your amp and speaker's bandwidth" mean?
Old 05-18-2016, 08:48 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkawak View Post
but is that what the article is asking? to play that 1 khz and set the gain? what does "Put on a test tone near the center of your amp and speaker's bandwidth" mean?
Your amp and speaker should each have an effective range spec, usually called "frequency response". The sub will have a smaller range so you'd use that one. They're saying use a solid tone near the middle of that range. You don't have to do it using tones though, like I said you can get decent results just using your music.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:51 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

thanks, ima try both tomorrow

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video