Raxiom Gen2 Navigation/Bluetooth on a Base Model GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-16-2016, 02:14 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Raxiom Gen2 Navigation/Bluetooth on a Base Model GT

Just wanted to share my experience with the unit thus far.
I have a base model 2014 GT (non-sync). I bought the Gen2 unit and installed it. The fit and finish of the unit are great, gives the factory look which is what I was after. Install wasn't too bad, and took me about 4-5 hours. That includes running wires and installing the backup camera, mic, and sat antenna.

After a couple of days using the unit, I started noticing some glitches. The navigation would freeze (happened 4 times on a 2 hr trip), the back button on the nav screen took 3-4 presses before it would respond, and the weather button on the main screen would not update the weather. It showed the weather for the day I installed the unit, but would not update.

I got in touch with Alex from AM, and he advised me to call the Rossen tech line for help. I called Rossen with my concerns. I first told them about the weather app issue. Their response was, the weather function does not work, and I shouldn't have received a unit with that function. They agreed that the other two issues were a problem, and gave me an authorization number to get a replacement from AM.

I got back in touch with Alex, gave him the number, and told him about my conversation with Rossen. Alex had me another unit shipped out, and I received it 3 days later.

I swapped out the units, and noticed that the new one had a couple of differences. First, there is no weather button which is fine with me, as it didn't work anyway and is just not needed. I also noticed that some of the buttons on screen are a little bigger, and seem to respond better when pressed. I used the nav on a 4 hr trip over the weekend, and had no issues with it at all. Everything is working as it should at this point. Evidently, this one is a newer version than the previous.

I do like the maps app on my iPhone better, and I had planned on connecting my phone to the unit via hdmi and using it to navigate sometimes. I hooked it up, and can mirror my phone screen onto the unit, but the problem is that it won't let you use it while the car is in motion (safety feature). I would love to find a bypass for this if anyone has any ideas.

I am very happy with the new unit, and the customer service from AM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
crroy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2016, 05:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Bummer about the weather not working and the unit not being able to mirror the phone while in motion.

If you want to remove that ugly extra antenna and have a factory satellite antenna on your trunk, you know who to contact. 😉

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
May not be the most ideal solution (and I don't even know if it works for sure with the Raxiom unit), but could you pull the handbrake up enough for the car to detect that it is on but not enough that it is actually applying any pressure on the brakes?

That's how we bypass the 'disabled-while-in-motion' features in my girlfriend's car when we need to use something on the move.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2016, 05:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Go to a local and fairly cool Auto Audio installer and they can wire it for you to use while in motion. It is illegal though to do this. I had an installer do it on my old KIA and they used a fuse capped on the end of the radio to do so.
parkerbickel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
Bummer about the weather not working and the unit not being able to mirror the phone while in motion.

If you want to remove that ugly extra antenna and have a factory satellite antenna on your trunk, you know who to contact.

Thanks, but I have it mounted to the windshield just above the rear view mirror. It gets good signal there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiESeven View Post
May not be the most ideal solution (and I don't even know if it works for sure with the Raxiom unit), but could you pull the handbrake up enough for the car to detect that it is on but not enough that it is actually applying any pressure on the brakes?

That's how we bypass the 'disabled-while-in-motion' features in my girlfriend's car when we need to use something on the move.
I thought about that, and may try it until I can find a permanent solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbickel View Post
Go to a local and fairly cool Auto Audio installer and they can wire it for you to use while in motion. It is illegal though to do this. I had an installer do it on my old KIA and they used a fuse capped on the end of the radio to do so.
Thanks, I'll see if I can find one around here that knows what to do and is willing.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:48 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I purchased the first gen about a year and a half ago. Like you, I received a defective unit the first time. The gps lost signal continually and the screen would go black for extended periods of time. After I received the replacement unit, I haven't had a problem. I have had the new one about a year and haven't lost gps signal once. It seems like they have a large number of defective units, but if you get a good one they are really good.
cwlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I tried the E-brake trick this morning and it works. I'd still like to find a more permanent solution though.

I have heard several stories of people getting malfunctioning units and returning for good ones. They must have someone at Rossen that doesn't know there job, and the rest of the crew makes good units. They need to get rid of THAT guy lol!

Chris
Old 05-20-2016, 11:23 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Does this unit have the Bluetooth feature where you can stream music through your phone? That's the main reason I'd get one if it does but I remember the older ones didn't have it

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
13coyotevahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:40 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13coyotevahan View Post
Does this unit have the Bluetooth feature where you can stream music through your phone? That's the main reason I'd get one if it does but I remember the older ones didn't have it

I have the first Gen and I am able to use Bluetooth to stream music from my phone or make calls. If you have sync, then you can still do everything you could do before installing this unit. If you don't have sync, then I am not sure if you will be able to.
cwlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:19 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I don't have sync

Wish I did

Old 05-21-2016, 07:26 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, that is what the gen2 changed. It has Bluetooth and Navigation, whereas the gen1 would not give you Bluetooth if you didn't have sync. I don't have sync, but now I have Bluetooth (music streaming and hands free calling) and navigation.

Chris
Old 05-21-2016, 03:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Sweeeeeet thanks man!!

Old 06-08-2016, 03:07 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Update: It's been almost a month, and the unit is working great. I have had no freezing with the GPS, and all of the buttons/functions work flawlessly. There is one thing I find annoying though. When I'm streaming music from my phone, it displays a box on the screen telling me to make sure my device is in Bluetooth mode or something like that. I wish it would display the home screen with the clock or something else. It's petty, I know, but annoying.

I also moved the Bluetooth mic up into my map light housing and cut a few slots in it. Looks factory, and it hides the mic nicely.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:00 PM   #14
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by crroy71 View Post
Update: It's been almost a month, and the unit is working great. I have had no freezing with the GPS, and all of the buttons/functions work flawlessly. There is one thing I find annoying though. When I'm streaming music from my phone, it displays a box on the screen telling me to make sure my device is in Bluetooth mode or something like that. I wish it would display the home screen with the clock or something else. It's petty, I know, but annoying.

I also moved the Bluetooth mic up into my map light housing and cut a few slots in it. Looks factory, and it hides the mic nicely.

Is your firmware up to date on the factory radio? I seem to remember this issue when I would stream Bluetooth but there was an update last year and now song info from my phone is displayed, whether it's Pandora or music locally on the phone.

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:02 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I don't have Sync.

Chris

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video