Pulled the trigger - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-20-2016, 02:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Pulled the trigger

Just ordered;
Pioneer AVH-4200NEX DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_794ADSM...o-ADS-MRR.html

iDatalink Connec KIT-MUS1 Factory Integration Adapter (Factory Gray) Install a compatible Kenwood or Alpine receiver and retain factory LCD screen and touchscreen climate controls in select 2010-up Ford Mustang models at Crutchfield.com

Metra 40-CR10 Antenna Adapter Works with select 2001-up vehicles — Motorola plug to snap-lock female antenna jack at Crutchfield.com

Also forgot to add some installation supplies and crutchfield was kind enough to add them to my shipping order for free so I could get the 50% off discount and wouldn't have to make another order. I'm excited to upgrade this stereo. I went with the 4200nex because I have absolutely no need for the navigation. We only travel in my wife's Cadillac SRX when we go out of town now and that thing is fully loaded. If I did need it in my car I could always use my phone, not a big deal. Total order came out to $200 under budget at $989.96.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2016, 12:46 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Everything got delivered today. I already programmed the idatalink Maestro ADS-MRR Interface Module, so at least I got that out of the way. Spent about 30 min trying to figure out what buttons I wanted to do what. Lots of wires, looks like it's going to be fun. I have a whole day set aside just in case, lol. I already told the wife once I get started I don't want to be bothered until I'm done. Hopefully it only takes a few hours. It's supposed to be 105 tomorrow so that should make it extra fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2016, 12:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Woke up about 2:30 in the morning and decided to install everything since it was raining and cool out. I work nights so I'm usually up at that time anyway. Took a couple hours and most of the wires were duplicates, so it was pretty easy. Pretty much all of the wiring from the maestro was not needed since it came with the mus1. Sounds so much better and looks great. Up next I'm going to replace the rear speakers, already replaced the fronts.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Pulled the trigger

Oh the rear are fun lol.

I purchased those foam boom mat foam baffles for the rear 6 x 8's. Only $9.99 for the pair at crutchfield. Not sure if they make that much of a difference but I wasn't going to go back and try them later lol.

Figure it might help since it keeps you from using the entire trunk as an enclosure.

I'd definitely wait on that install unless you have a cool garage though since you will be in the back of the car for a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
wmschoonover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I have a garage, it's just not cool. I'll probably do it in a couple months when it cools down if I can wait. I can definitely notice the difference from the stock verses the kickers I put up front with the aftermarket stereo. It wasn't very noticeable with the stock head unit.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:59 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I'm running Kickers all around. Thinking about finally getter an amp and a single sub and powering them all. Really need more power to them.

Old 08-28-2016, 02:42 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Still messing with all the settings, didn't know you could change the background images with custom ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	204628  
Old 10-11-2016, 04:34 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Wow nice setup and like the updates with the install! I would like to do the same setup. How is everything working since its been little over a month? So you didn't land up using the idatalink Maestro ADS-MRR Interface Module? Does the controls on the steering wheel still work? Also how does the ac/heat work (instead of the turn knobs from factory it uses those plus/minus buttons?) Sorry for all the questions lol. If you can could you post up everything it takes to install? Not very good with wires but sure with a little studying I can figure it out!
5.0Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:05 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I love it! I really thought I would use the apple CarPlay more but I mainly use Bluetooth because I'm too lazy to plug in my iPhone(1st world problems). I did use the maestro module, if you see in the second post I programmed it and set up what the buttons would do. My setup you can hit the climate button and it will pop up on the touchscreen or you can use the ac to turn it off and on. The plus and minus will either turn the fan up or down. You can program your steering wheel controls to do whatever you want them to do as well.I will probably go back and reprogram a couple buttons since the ac buttons are kind of repetitive. When I programmed them I wanted to make sure I could get the ac on as quickly as possible since I live in Arizona and it can get pretty hot. It would have been helpful to know prior that the ac settings will resume where you left off as soon as you turn the car on so you don't have to wait for the stereo to boot up. The maestro is important if you want to retain steering wheel controls. The maestro and the mus1 come with the same set of wires, so one set of wires is not needed. However you still need both kits if you want to use this setup. You can download a PDF when you purchase the stereo but honestly it's pretty straight forward. You will basically just be matching up colors and securing them together. The hardest part is getting under the driver side and accessing the obd. You can plug it in, even though the instructions will tell you to splice into the wires. If you decide to plug it in you will be able to see the wires poking out under the dash so I decided to splice into it. Hope that's not too confusing and good luck with your install if you decide to move forward.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:16 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

^ Wow that's a long post.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:58 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Cool thanks bro! Is the process to program the maestro module pretty simple as well/do you just plug it into a computer or how does that work? It will prob be little while before I can actually get this started but atleast I feel more confident doing it myself now since was planning on taking it to shop to have it done. Looks like I shoul be able to do it myself and save some cash!
Old 10-11-2016, 09:29 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah you just plug into computer, register it and then program. Hardest part was deciding what I wanted my buttons to do.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:34 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

It also has gauges that you can customize.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3183.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	205590   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3182.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	205591  

Old 10-11-2016, 11:45 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I love how you can program all the buttons too.

I set mine like this
Push/Hold

Climate/Max A/C
Blower Down/Temp Down
Gauges/Tire Info
Blower Up/Temp Up
Defroster/Max Heat

That way I can control the A/C and heat, temperature and blower level while the radio is booting up.

Old 10-12-2016, 12:26 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmschoonover View Post
I love how you can program all the buttons too.

I set mine like this
Push/Hold

Climate/Max A/C
Blower Down/Temp Down
Gauges/Tire Info
Blower Up/Temp Up
Defroster/Max Heat

That way I can control the A/C and heat, temperature and blower level while the radio is booting up.

That is bad *** for sure. Man I thought wheels was gonna be my next mod. But I drive 50 miles a day and having a more functional entertaining radio like this might make the trip everyday even more enjoyable then it already is! Plus I like the GT or Mustang logo on it too!
Old 10-12-2016, 03:43 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

You can put any wallpaper you want on there. I think the screen resolution is 800x480. The first photos I posted were the wrong resolution, changed them and it looks much better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video