What to do about my paint? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-28-2004, 10:46 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Send a message via AIM to 232SCstang
What to do about my paint?

I got my 98 Mustang as you can see in my pic, and last night I was just strollin around in my garage checkin her out and I started noticing more and more scratches and dings and paintchips on her. Especially on the hood and doors. The dents look like tiny rocks got kicked up and im sure they are easily fixable. But overall, my paint looks like it is starting to swirl. To fix the swirling, would I have to get the car refinished, or could I take it to a detailer and have them do a supergood buff job? The hood and doors definitely need to be repainted, and the right rear quarter does too. Along with my spoiler. If anyone has some cheap ideas that look like brand new, please tell me. I want my pony to look good again! :burnout:

1990 Isuzu Pickup
2.3L 5 speed

1990 Acura Integra
1.8 5 speed

All vehicles in color of text k:
232SCstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2004, 11:57 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to LuvMyGT
You'll get what you pay for, especially when it concerns painting. You'll be better off finding a place that's reliable rather than cheap. Having your doors and hood repainted will set you back a good chunk of cash so just be prepared, there is no cheap way out unless you're talking about getting a crappy MAACO job. My advice is to go ahead and purchase one of those "paint restoring" waxes from an auto store. See how that works for you. If the damage is beyond a quick fix, start saving money for a new paint job or a new car. To really do it properly, you should get your entire car stripped to metal and repainted to make sure all paint matches and bonds perfectly. This will run you approx. $4500. So, you decide. $4500 for a new paint job on an aging car, or $4500 for a down payment on a new one. It took less money than that to make my decision.
LuvMyGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 09:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Well there is a body shop owned by my friend down the block and to do the paint and fix the few minor rock dents, he said about $2,000 if I give him cash for it. And he does very nice work. He paints all the classic cars around here. Ive seen his paintjobs from 10 years ago that still look new. The only thing about my car is I have paintcode E9, its the three stage paintjob and thats harder to mix and whatnot so I hear. I would get a different mustang, but for some reason I just fell in love with the one I have. I love the way it looks, and drives, just everything. Plus im the original owner on the car. It was given to me as a present in high school (well I had to pay half). I do a lot of highway driving on her so that could explain why it has so many paint chips. And another question, do you know where I can get an exact duplicate of that mustang banner on the lower side portion of my car?

1990 Isuzu Pickup
2.3L 5 speed

1990 Acura Integra
1.8 5 speed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2004, 03:49 PM   #4
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to Dom
You can either get a decal shop to make it or buy it from Ford.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:03 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

How much would that cost from ford?

1990 Isuzu Pickup
2.3L 5 speed

1990 Acura Integra
1.8 5 speed

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video