Interior Mods - Suggestions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-12-2004, 12:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Interior Mods - Suggestions

When I first visited this forum I found a few threads with reliable, organized lists to improve performance on the V6. There were a few disagreements but for the most part it was very easy to follow and so far very effective.

I've improved the exterior of my Mustang, I am in the process of making it perform better... I would also like to touch up the interior. I realize the interior is much more subjective to personal taste than engine components, but I would appreciate any and all opinions on a few ideas:

1) If you have modified your interior and had to do it all over again, would you plan it differently?

2) What order would you begin improving? Dash, pedals, door locks ?

3) What do you think of dash kits (e.g. carbon fiber, brushed aluminum, etc.)? There are 13 pc, 15 pc, 22 pc... what brands are reliable?

4) What brands did you try for anything? Are there any that just sucked (chrome peeled off, pedals didn't fit well, etc.)?

5) Where did you find the best values?

I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions as I think of them but I'm trying to put a plan together for the interior. Nothing extravagant, but I would like to simply improve the driving experience for the driver and the passengers. If any of you have pics that would be great too.

I appreciate all your help so far.

http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...ine=1089064571
Digger
1999 3.8V6 Convertible in Progress.
Performance: CAI, Magnaflow Dual Catback from ExtremeEffects.com, UDP from VMP (25% ASP), 17x9 Wheels and 275/40 Tires from CrossroadzDirect.com, SCT Tuner from VMP
Exterior: 232 Rear Emblem fromAutobadges.com, Mach 1 Grille Delete, Mach 1 Hood Decal, Rear Bumper Letter Decals, 3 Horse Door Decal, Shorty Antenna (Definite 15 Front Wheel HP!)
Interior: Billet A/C Knobs/Billet Pedals/Billet AOD Knob with O/D Switch (MGW)/Billet Locks/Billet E-brake Handle/Billet Turn Signal cover
Coming up: 4.10 gears from MidwestMustang.com and T-Lok from Gene Evans Ford/Tranny Cooler
digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2004, 02:54 PM   #2
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
moving to interiors

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 04:50 PM   #3

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to 01mineralgrey6
I don't know what i would do if i did it all over again.. but what i have done, is the bullit pedals, and shifter trim ring, and carbon fiber overlays...
I have pics of the overlays, and the trim ring, but not of the pedals, I got the overlays from http://www.nycdashes.com/cart/customer/home.php?cat=174
I happy with them,you can also get them at http://crossroadzdirect.com/ if i re did these i would have gone with the molded kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2004, 10:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Mineral... One thing I noticed (or maybe I'm not noticing the right things) is that, when I've found the molded overlays, they don't seem to have as many pieces. Have you had any problems with the yours or do the molded just look better?
I did find the Bullitt Pedals... and I agree with you... I like them the best. Where did you get the trim ring?

Your interior is excellent. Thanks very much.

Digger
Performance: CAI, Magnaflow Dual Catback from ExtremeEffects.com, UDP from VMP (25% ASP), 17x9 Wheels and 275/40 Tires from CrossroadzDirect.com, SCT Tuner from VMP
Exterior: 232 Rear Emblem fromAutobadges.com, Mach 1 Grille Delete, Mach 1 Hood Decal, Rear Bumper Letter Decals, 3 Horse Door Decal, Shorty Antenna (Definite 15 Front Wheel HP!)
Interior: Billet A/C Knobs/Billet Pedals/Billet AOD Knob with O/D Switch (MGW)/Billet Locks/Billet E-brake Handle/Billet Turn Signal cover
Coming up: 4.10 gears from MidwestMustang.com and T-Lok from Gene Evans Ford/Tranny Cooler
Old 06-12-2004, 11:40 PM   #5

Thanks I havent had any problems with the overlays, I ordered the full 18 pc kit.About the molded ones, I just think that the molded ones look cleaner. I got the trim ring off of ebay for about $20. Im more than happy to help
Old 06-13-2004, 09:34 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Send a message via AIM to NorwegianMustang Send a message via MSN to NorwegianMustang Send a message via Yahoo to NorwegianMustang
Here is my internals
http://ml.truckmoxie.com/gallery/V6Mustang/86513.jpg
http://ml.truckmoxie.com/gallery/V6Mustang/86514.jpg
http://ml.truckmoxie.com/gallery/V6Mustang/85431.jpg
http://ml.truckmoxie.com/gallery/V6Mustang/86512.jpg
Old 06-13-2004, 10:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Very, very nice Norwegian! The two-tone effect is outstanding... especially the view of the passenger door open. The flow from the tint of the windows down through the dash and the top of the doors is an excellent idea. I have a tan interior as well, but working with a red car versus the black I'm not quite sure that it would look as good on mine as it does on yours. Plus, Louisiana has some funky laws on tinting -- they pulled over a friend of mine in his SUV and warned him about the tint being too dark (It's a stock Suburban, he's 40, with children and it is a FACTORY TINT!!! What a bunch of idiots.)

Regardless, I'm certainly saving your pics to review during my plan. It really is an impressive car. Thanks so much.

Digger
Old 06-13-2004, 10:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to NorwegianMustang Send a message via MSN to NorwegianMustang Send a message via Yahoo to NorwegianMustang
My tint is illegal over here though. If I get pulled over, I got to remove it and pay a $450 fine.
But I usually drive topless
Old 06-13-2004, 10:43 PM   #9
I liek gramer
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
i love ur interior norway guy. it rocks!
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 05:19 PM   #10

Is it painted?? Looks good!
Old 06-14-2004, 05:46 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys, I spray painted them myself.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:03 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Kessler Send a message via AIM to Kessler Send a message via MSN to Kessler Send a message via Yahoo to Kessler
Eh mineralgrey, I have one of those nice red, white, and blue name tags as well...
Old 06-15-2004, 05:21 PM   #13

oh yeah, but do you have a tread depth gauge too??lol Ill be there one more year( been 2 already) untill i finish up my law enforcement acadamy
Old 06-17-2004, 02:00 AM   #14

Not to brag, but if you're looking to upgrade interior, those stock vinyl shift boots have to go. We sell genuine Italian leather replacements at a very decent price with lots of colors to choose from.

YOu can find out more by looking here: http://www.mustang-forums.com/forums...6624#post76624

Thank you,
Maciek
RedlineGoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 03:27 PM   #15
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to Dom
At Paper Flames Racing, they do the hand-laid carbon fiber over your core pieces (I.E. A/C Vent Bezel, Door Cup Panel, Taillight Bezel, ect.) and they are very expensive.

I'm doing mine in carbon fiber accessories. I already have the carbon fiber parking brake handle. Next up will be the carbon fiber FR500 shift knob and a carbon fiber instrument panel overlay. And that will be it for the carbon fiber.

I've learned that it is best not to overdo anything. Like ordering everything from the UPR catalog and installing it. It takes attention from the interior away and lends it to the billet accessories.

However, with Tony's black interior, all that carbon fiber accessories pays off.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:27 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry about the delay in answering... I owe at least two of you an answer.

To Redline -- I do like your boots very much. I am interested in the two tone that you showed in another thread... as soon as I figure out the colors.

To Dom -- you are exactly right. It's easy to go overboard.

Now, a question to the general public... I need some opinions. I ordered a "brushed aluminum" dash kit and it was decent quality. However, I have one of those crappy tan interiors :arg: ! I held up the first piece to the interior and it just looked horrible.

I'm thinking about painting the trim as suggested on mustangworld.com, but I don't have any ideas as far as colors go. Please offer some suggestions on colors that would match and actually look decent (and ripping out the entire interior is not one!). I would like a color that would work with the tan and ugly brown dash as well as the billet accents.

I appreciate your anticipated suggestions.

Digger
Old 06-22-2004, 09:37 PM   #17
Regular

I like my Tan Interior

It looks better with Black though.

I'm not color coordinated so I cant help you there lol

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 09:42 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

No offense meant Brent... that's why I don't want to change mine. My frustration comes from not knowing what to accent it with... the tan stays clean easy and isn't as hot as black here in New Orleans.

I have no color coordination at all. I'm thinking of doing the paint thing, but that's a one shot deal. If I get some good suggestions I can paint some cardboard cut-outs first and see how it goes. I'd rather waste $50 in paint and have something decent at the end instead of the alternate.

I appreciate your posting so quickly... and, Brent, I'm sorry about the comment on the tan... it's only the frustration. I think I have some left over after installing the billet pedals.

Digger
Old 06-22-2004, 09:54 PM   #19
Regular

lol its cool I didnt like tan before I got my car either. Its grown on me though.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 10:20 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang
tan sucks to clean. thats the hardest cars we have at work to clean. haha once they get dirty they are done for. i love my black, but i dont know man, if you have tan... not much u can do..
Old 06-22-2004, 10:44 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Y'know, I'm normally a very good tipper at the car wash because I know how much they have to sweat. Yet they all still groan when I show up. Now I know... the tan interior!

Digger
Old 06-22-2004, 11:20 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64
paint the trim red to match your exterior. tipping good at the car wash is good (i work at a car wash)
Old 06-22-2004, 11:26 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Ok... here's a question... I notice that it's fairly simple to remove all the trim. I know it's possible, but how hard is it to remove the dashboard itself? I was considering gloss black, but I would have to do the dashboard and the trim.

Digger
Old 06-23-2004, 09:55 AM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
I don't have complete interior pics. Camera batteries died, gotta get more! but here are some that show most of it. Basically now I have most of the Steeda billet aluminum pieces with a few UPR pieces and a couple of the pieces from Ga at MGW. I have almost everything you can get for a convertable that I know of now, I have the cruise buttons from UPR and their tilt handle, the MGW shift handle and the console cup bezel, the Bullitt shift bezel, the other pieces I think are Steeda, door window switches, locks, pbrake handle, A/C switches, etc, etc, and door entry plates.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 08:21 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Hey Rick!

Sorry I didn't get a chance to post sooner... you and I have a lot of same tastes. I did order the AOD knob and O/D switch from MGW... what a fantastic company. They shipped nearly immediately, provided everything except a pair of scissors to do the job and the instructions were fantastic. I finished the entire installation, start to finish, in 12 minutes. They were so thorough -- well, I feel like I'm advertising for them but they certainly deserve it.

Also installed a Mach 1 grille delete. That was an absolute PITA! Getting the new one in wasn't too tough -- they were Ford parts -- but getting the old honeycomb out on the 99 -- mamma mia! There's the little clips on the underside of the lip of the front bumper that were really tough. Really all you need is a 7mm small socket, some mechanix gloves so you don't rip the heck out of your knuckles when you peel the lip back -- and a WHOLE lot of patience. Nonetheless, that's in now too.

Anyways... thanks for the pics. Beautiful car Rick.

Have a great night.

Digger
Old 06-30-2004, 09:04 PM   #26
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

If you wanna paint your interior, there is a trick to it. Or even doing the billet acc. with the tan interior.

I would suggest two-toning the interior and then only painting or adding billet acc. to the black in the interior.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:48 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Hey Dom...

I've read a number of articles on painting the interior and I certainly am going with the Krylon. What other suggestions and advice can you offer? I'd appreciate it.

Digger
Old 07-02-2004, 02:14 AM   #28
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

The trick to painting your interior and making it look really good is not painting every piece you can unbolt.

Pick just a few pieces to do. When I get my ground effects kit, I am also going to have them paint the door cup panel, shifter trim bezel, and center console trim.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:48 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Dom -- again we are in agreement. I was looking at painting the door bezels, the two airconditioner vent bezels, the center trim and the shift bezel.

Digger

Digger
Old 07-02-2004, 10:17 PM   #30
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

See, your interior is gonna look awesome.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:36 PM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
Digger, yours looks really good too! Before I got the GT I had a 94 V6 convertable, same colors as yours.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 10:44 PM   #32
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

I've heard stories about his 94. I think you had parking troubles right?
Old 07-03-2004, 10:28 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I am hoping that very thing. I finished the UDP today... that was fun! I have to finish the rear end yet and then the interior comes. I'll probably lean on you for a little bit Dom if you don't mind. I don't want overkill but MAN to I like Billet!

Anyways, keep me up to date on yours too. We think along the same lines. I'd like to continue that.

Have a great 4th.

Digger
Old 07-03-2004, 10:31 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Rick... that is indeed a beautiful car. I'm a ragtop man... gotta have the air! I really love the deep gloss you have on the finish too. I'm reading more on the threads for detailing. I like the Meguiar's (?) products but I'm learning there's a lot more out there.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment. I appreciate it.

Digger
Old 07-06-2004, 10:03 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Well, here's mine if it'll help you out some....

CaptHowdy5150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video