Audio Gurus Come Forth!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-31-2004, 10:56 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Audio Gurus Come Forth!!!

Hey guys! Just installed the Alpine and speakers(specs are below) and at a moderate to high volume I get crackling from all speakers..it is not the speakers blown i know that much..i have messed with custom eq's and everytime i switch one, the cracklinggets at a different volume. the crackling sounds like a cd skipping almost but even with the tuner on. I am beginning to wonder if i have the eq's at quadrants the speakers can't produce or the unit can't. the speakers have crossovers set at 18db/octave if that helps. lastly, will it help if i tone down the tweeters by putting the wires to the -3db setting on the crossovers. help please!!!

Ted

2000 Ford Mustang GT Convertible Silver w/ Black Leather and Mach 460 Automatic
Performance:Magnaflow Exhaust, Transgo Shift Kit,Modified Air Box Looks: Grille delete, 17x9 polished 95 Cobra R's, New GT Hood Scoop, Billet Shift knob, Custom Shift Boots
Sound: Alpine CDA-9835, Infinity Reference Comp.

Power Tour 2005 Here I Come!
Funky4.6VERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2004, 08:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to steedav6builder
how did you connect the wires on the speakers, i.e. crimp connectors or soldier. sounds like an interference problem.
steedav6builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 09:41 PM   #3
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to Dom
It's interference.

Check all your connections, check for loose grounds, and make sure your speaker wires aren't near any power wires.
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2004, 08:50 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks!

I will check all of them tonight. Are speaker wires that are close to power wires always the culprit with a crackling sound. I ran power wire down the driver side and with that wire, my left rear speaker wire...should i route the power wire a different way or is it just wires in the dash that you guys would think would be screwed up. That alpine has a **** load of wires and only so much room to put them in the back of it, should bundle them differently? Let me know if I can track this down futher.
Thanks
Ted

Performance:Magnaflow Exhaust, Transgo Shift Kit,Modified Air Box Looks: Grille delete, 17x9 polished 95 Cobra R's, New GT Hood Scoop, Billet Shift knob, Custom Shift Boots

Old 08-02-2004, 12:47 PM   #5
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky4.6VERT
Thanks!

I will check all of them tonight. Are speaker wires that are close to power wires always the culprit with a crackling sound. I ran power wire down the driver side and with that wire, my left rear speaker wire...should i route the power wire a different way or is it just wires in the dash that you guys would think would be screwed up. That alpine has a **** load of wires and only so much room to put them in the back of it, should bundle them differently? Let me know if I can track this down futher.
Thanks
Ted
So you ran new wire from your cd player to the speakers correct? Why do you have a power wire running to the back of your car? Subs?

Make sure that you got the speaker wires hooked up right on the speakers. Switching them around and putting negative on postiive and positive on negative will cause the problem you describe as well.

Power wire causing interference could be the problem but I doubt it. I have never ran into that kind of problem before.

Just go back and double check that you have everything correct

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 01:07 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Brent,
Yes I plan to run subs in the near future.
I am 99.9% positive that all speakers are hooked up correctly, I always double check and plus the wire I use has different shape/texture betwwen + & -.
The only thing I can think of is taht alpine has a modulator for the high voltage preouts. i do not have preouts in yet but it said to put that away from other wires. I have limited room so it is jumbled up with the rest of them. I think i will go in with some wire ties and clean up the back of the unit and see if that helps.
If anyone can think of anything else, let me know!

Old 08-02-2004, 01:43 PM   #7
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
Brent, you probably have always used shielded cables and wires. Did you 4.6vert? If you didn't then interference could easily be your problem.

I don't even know why they sell unshielded wires.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 02:03 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE]

?????

The speaker cable i used throughout is all pheonix gold silver series wire

Old 08-04-2004, 07:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

All fixed!!!! Thanks to all that made suggestions!

Ted

Old 08-04-2004, 08:17 PM   #10
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky4.6VERT
All fixed!!!! Thanks to all that made suggestions!

Ted
So what was the problem?

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 08:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I don't exactly know. First I pulled the reciever and made sure everything was good back there. I found afew wires that would have become a problem and fixed them. Tried it-noise still there. So i pulled the front speakers, tweeters and all, redid connections. noise still there but occurred at higher volume than before. Irritated, I pulled the back speakers and redid them. While I was doing this I set all four crossovers to the -3 db setting for all of the tweeters. tried it again...voila! noise is gone. i can't pinpoint it yet but redoing alot of it fixed it so my guess is their was some wires that needed attention. I also reran the power wire to the middle of the car to avoid it being by the other cables.

Old 08-05-2004, 04:13 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

yeah if it was the power wire causing interference, iwould be a whining noise, alot of the time if you run 4 gauge or higher you can get that noise it comes from the alternator. ****ty wires will do it good wires are shielded enough
This is America, where every vote counts, unless it's a vote for a Democrat.
thirstymate is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video