jensen vm9312hd and sub problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-19-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

jensen vm9312hd and sub problem

ok first the details.....jensen vm9312hd fully working with bypassed parking brakle switch, 2 12" pioneer premier subs, Lanzar MXA282 amp, and boss 8 fard capasitor, with non vented sub box.

ok now the problem is the subs will not work.....the amp get full power with no protect light on......the capasitor right now is not hooked up......the problem im facing i belive is the deck has 5 rca plug out puts for the sub(4 to speakers(red/white) 1 (blue) for sub) and the amp only has 2...... i was told to buy a y split cable andi did and connected it to the sub rca plug(blue) and still no sound of movement from subs....

Can any one help me with my problem i cannot afford to have someone install it and have installed many systems before this one no one can figure out.

Eddie
eddie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Re: jensen vm9312hd and sub problem

Try hooking the RCAs to the front speaker output on the back of the headunit. And run the black white into the amp. A good buddy of mine does stereo and sub installs. I had the same problem and that ended up being the solution.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Is there a setting in the head unit that turns on the sub pre out? What 1234 said should work too or at least give you some kind of assurance that the head unit pre outs aren't bad.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009, 01:39 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

how would i go by hooking the rca's to speaker wire? i have one of them boxes that you cnnectthe speaker wire into and then run the rca plugsto it and it still didnt dothe trick.....everything seems to point to a bad amp in my eyes
Old 01-19-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
Regular

He means to get two RCA cables and instead of hooking one up to the Sub pre-out hook two RCA cables into the FRONT or REAR pre-outs on the headunit and then run those to the amp to see if the sub works then. The FRONT and REAR Pre-outs will still work fine, just won't give you the control the headunit assigns to the sub pre out

Reddit
Old 01-19-2009, 02:22 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

since the deck has 5 outputs(+/- for front speakers and +/- for rear speakers and 1 for suboutput) how am suppost to hook the rca cable to both front and rear if
I only have 1 y cable or am i being forced to go buy another and try it all over again?

but even if that is so....how would a Y splitter be able to work if there are +/- outputs and it will rn them into one plug output?

Sorry for al lthe problems.....i like to do things my self and have no money and friends are useless when it comes to cars
Old 01-19-2009, 02:29 PM   #7
Regular

you need two rca cables. Put the two rca cables into the FRONT or REAR outputs and then plug those two RCA cables into the amp. If that doesn't work either the amp is bad or the headunits preouts are bad. My bet is amp.

You don't have to hook them up to the front and rear. Just pick one. It doesn't matter. Then run two rca cables from either the front or rear into the amp.

Reddit
Old 01-19-2009, 03:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

ok so ima need 2 y split cables and 2 rca cables.......since the amp only has 2 rca plugs
Old 01-19-2009, 04:07 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

No just 2 rca cables. Plug the white into the preout for the front speakers and the red into the negative. Then the red into the negative on the amo and the white into the positive on the amp. Then see if it works. You dont need a Y
Old 01-19-2009, 10:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

turns out the speakers hade to wired a diff way than i always did so i wired them wronge.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:26 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

I assume you figured out the problem, but just to make one correction in what was said earlier, An RCA cable (and the output from the head unit) is both + and - in the one male connector, they come in pairs for left and right channels, that is why the subwoofer connector just had the one (it was mono output instead of stereo) So yes, buying a Y-split and running the blue sub channel to the red and white channels on the amp is what you should be doing.

Also, next time you have to track down a problem in your subs, try using a multimeter to test the impedance at the +/- connection on your box. It will tell you right away if you have a faulty connection and as a bonus let you know if your speakers are wired correctly for your amp's specs.
ThaWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:27 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

ya i learned a volt meter can be a life saver.......but i have nother problem.....

i installed it all but when i connect the capasitor(8 fard with a supposid 4000watt power output amp)....and my head light/ all lights dim considerable still as if there is no capasitor
Old 01-21-2009, 09:42 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

When I ran a cap it didn't do anything for my lights dimming either. The truth is that big stereo systems are probably always going to do that regardless of what you do unless you really upgrade your alternator, especially when the engine is at idle. If I had to guess I'd say that the reason your lights dim is because your stereo is sucking up all of the 14.4 voltage that your alternator usually produces and causing the battery to help out at its 12 volts. Kind of like when your battery is dead but still has enough juice to light up your lights, and then when you hook up to the jumper cables all the lights get brighter because they are getting more juice from the other car than your car is making.

As far as I know the caps are mostly to help with your amps from running out of juice when they are really strained, but the 1 Farad cap I had was the size of a football and eventually exploded into metallic bits so I wouldn't say I'm really up to date on Caps and what they are capable of, just my 2c.
ThaWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:02 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

What year is your car? If it is a 93 or earlier you should immediately rip your alternator out and throw it in the trash. I believe they are only something like 80 amp alternators.

I have upgraded mine to a 130 amp 3G alternator, and I still have problems with lights dimming, etc. with just a 800 watt amp. The alternator is basically a 94+ Mustang alternator. So you may still have problems even with a later model car.

You could try a capacitor, but you will probably be wasting your time. The only way you will really fix it will be to upgrade to something more like a 200 amp alternator.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:08 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG

To get rid of dimming you need: bigger battery / more batteries / bigger alternator / bigger gauge wiring. Caps don't really do much of anything.
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:39 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via MSN to 19Delta

First of all, you need to at least upgrade the wires coming to and from your alternator. I would also suggest upgrading to a Optima Yellow Top battery. And I also agree, a capacitor doesn't really do much unless you're running multiple batteries and have at least a 5k watt amp. If you have any problems doing any of this, shoot me a PM and I'd be more than glad to help ya out.
19Delta is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video