Interior Paint - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-12-2004, 07:11 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to KyleUSAF Send a message via MSN to KyleUSAF
Interior Paint

I am interested in making my interior a black and blue two tone. Would the best way to do this be to take out each piece i want to paint, prime it, paint it with a can of blue paint from 50resto.com, and put some kind of finish on it or what. Or is there a completely different way of doing this. I would want plastic and dash (foam type stuff on the dash) to be painted...would they use different kinds of paint?

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshadow
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
KyleUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2004, 07:18 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Falcon Send a message via MSN to Falcon Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon
take the pieces off and sand them good, clean them good, paint is your choice krylon fusion or something ive heard people use as paint, when i helped paint the interior on my bros maro we used some other type i cant remember but there are several that work good.. heres a how to on it: http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/...eriorpaint.htm
Full Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust, Stainless Longtubes/Off Road Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, HP Tuners, Super Sucker Ram Air Kit, BMR Tunnel Brace/Driveshaft Safety Loop, Hotchkis Panhard Bar, Hypertech 160 Thermostat, CF Whisper Air Lid, Corvette FRCs, K&N, !AIR, !EGR
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 07:27 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

nice, thanks

Quote:
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2004, 09:29 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
the KEY is in the prep work... sand them down SMOOTH very smooth and clean off with some alcohol (spelling WTF?) and cottom swabs keep lint off, its very hard to do but if you can paint in an enclosed area like a grage that you clean up to get dust out with 2 fans at least, one blowing air in though a filter and one sucking air out this will definatly help. do very very very very light coats until you get like 3 - 4 coats on then just step up the amount a little... putting on to much causes runs and then it time to start ALL OVER. dont touch the part even if you think its try KNOW its try. start spraying the part off to the side then drag the paint across the part, never start spraying directly over a part.

let EACH coat set a full 15 min before you do another one, and do the first few coats as i said VERY light to get a good base going.

its best to use 550 gritt paper on spray painted items any less and you may see scratches i would start with a lower gritt and work my way up to 550 in 3 stages~ do like 200 - 400 - 550 or something...
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 06:43 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

thanks for the advice,

Quote:
STEP FOUR: PREPPING YOUR PIECES FOR PAINTThere are a couple of different methods to prepping your pieces. One method is to wet-sand all of the pieces to a smooth finish, cleaning and then painting. I actually have found wet-sanding the pieces to be more trouble than what it's actually worth. The look garnered from wet-sanding contrasts the textured look of the dash. I actually prefer, and recommend, the non-sanded method. Not only will it keep the slightly textured look of the dash but it will save you massive amounts of time.

Our first order of business is to thoroughly clean each piece. To do this, get your rubbing alcohol and cloth ready. I use rubbing alcohol because it's not only a good cleaning agent but it also evaporates much quicker, again saving drying time
This is from that how-to link a couple of posts above...is the sanding necessary or will a thorough cleaning do the job...I don't see anything in the how-to link about primer or spraying anything onto the piece before painting...is that right? Thanks

Quote:
Old 09-13-2004, 06:47 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

hmm...should i paint my white stangs interior white or blue. Already have blue floormats and pedals and neons, but blue and white would look good too...any suggestions?

Quote:
Old 09-13-2004, 07:02 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Falcon Send a message via MSN to Falcon Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon
ive always like cars interior the same as exterior color, but its up to you, as far as sanding the paint will stick better when sanded, sanding will give the painted parts a smoother texture, without sanding you wont have that smoothness like stated in the how to link, instead will have the textured look, but its up to you, personally id choose to sand it real nice to be sure the paint is gonna stick nice and not turn out lookin like crap. Its all up to you

Derek
Full Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust, Stainless Longtubes/Off Road Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, HP Tuners, Super Sucker Ram Air Kit, BMR Tunnel Brace/Driveshaft Safety Loop, Hotchkis Panhard Bar, Hypertech 160 Thermostat, CF Whisper Air Lid, Corvette FRCs, K&N, !AIR, !EGR
Old 09-13-2004, 07:24 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

yea, i think the triple tone on the inside would look pretty nice...with blue floor mats etc., white on dash and doors, and the normal black on the dash
wonder what color racing seats i should eventually get...hmm, definately either blue or white

Quote:
Old 09-13-2004, 07:28 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

remember you dont wanna go too wild and overdue it, if you go to wild it will look horrible, i know summit racing sells some nice cheap racing seats that look like leather but are cheaper i think they only come in like black and grey tho.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:33 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

http://store.summitracing.com/ click interior and accessories, then seats and accessories, then scroll down to summit sport seats, click the product number under where it says product list in blue to see a picture and you can zoom in i think they are 209 bucks a piece, Im either gonna get those or some gt seats in the future.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video