Need Feedback. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-12-2004, 03:31 AM   #1

Need Feedback.

Hey guys, i'm new to the site and the new owner of a 2000 Mustang GT Convertible. I just bought the car a little over 2 months ago and it has 62,000 miles on it and I got a great deal. I bought the car used and it doesn't seem to be as fast as I thought it would be? Is this and the following things normal? Thanks for any help and feedback.

1) Seems to be alot of rattling coming from the interior and just overall noisy.
2) Can hear opening/closing vent noise when running the heater/ac.
3) How long is the normal life of a manual trans. in these baby's?
4) Car came w/out Mach system and i'd like to upgrade the crappy factory system in there. Better off getting mach or something else to get better sound and bass?

Thanks guys.
chavez630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2004, 03:48 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
1. That sounds wrong, I'd check to see which things are making that rattling
2. When I turn on the AC/heater at first I can hear a vent noise turn on, but it does the job so why question it ya know?
3. Dunno, I've got an auto :p
4. You'll hear a lot of different things, I loved my Mach 460 speaker system. In my opinion though, since you just have it plain like I do I would start with a new setup and get something better than just going with a 460. You know, getting better equipment for a better price and all.

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 01:13 PM   #3
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to Dom
1) Seems to be alot of rattling coming from the interior and just overall noisy.
See if you can pinpoint the noise for me. Alot of stuff can be rattling.

2) Can hear opening/closing vent noise when running the heater/ac.
It does that with mine, I wouldn't worry to much about it.

3) How long is the normal life of a manual trans. in these baby's?
Treat her right and don't put massive ammounts of power through it, and it should last forever.

4) Car came w/out Mach system and i'd like to upgrade the crappy factory system in there. Better off getting mach or something else to get better sound and bass?
I believe your car is already wired for Mach 460, you could probally look on eBay for someone who has swapped out if you really want it. But, there are better system for less money out there.
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2004, 01:40 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I upgraded my stock singe disc to the mach system after going through several aftermarket systems. The only reason I went with stock mach system was because of the way it looks in my car and the in dash 6 disc changer. It's going to end up costing me more because of the extra things I'm having to buy for it
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 07:37 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
ebay that Mach 460... it's all over it. You can part together most of it, and if you have to, purchase the rest from the dealer.... some killer 6x8's in the back window would be c ool.... after market of course.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 04:01 AM   #6

Most of the rattle seems to be coming from the center console that holds stereo and the 5-Speed stick cover just below that. I was thinking about replacing those anyway with a dash kit; the polished metal look? Anyone familiar with these; cool or should I stay away?

So you guys would suggest going with the Mach deck instead of an aftermarket Pioneer? I also wanna replace all speakers and add a subwoofer for some mean bass. I noticed that Mach systems have 4 speakers in the rear and tweeters in the front. My convertible doesn't have any of that (2 speakers front and back only). Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:16 AM   #7
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez630
Most of the rattle seems to be coming from the center console that holds stereo and the 5-Speed stick cover just below that.
Do you know if you have a short throw shifter like a steeda triax or something? When you install one of those it introduces a lot of transmission noises. That could be the cause of the overall noise from that area. The rattle could also be caused by that depending on the actual sound of the rattle. I put a steeda triax in my old 2000 GT and the noise factor increased a lot. If you take the cover off and don't find anything really wrong, you could check out one of the gasket sets from one of the site sponsers or cobrabob.com and see if that cuts down on the noise a little bit. I have one of these sets in my cobra with a triax and it does make a difference. It is a bit louder than stock, but not as loud as a straight install. Just a thought at 4am anyhow.

To be fair, our sponser is here in case you haven't seen the banner.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:09 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
you have a mid 14 sec car especially if you have an auto which i dont think you do by the post. the trannys are good for 100k~ or more my friends t-5 (not same but not to far off....) has 140k and he is putting 300rwhp+ though it easy its all in how you take care of them, i would change the fluid... something most people neglect its very easy and only costs 8 bucks for fluid~ it probably wont help but you can see if there are any shavings and crap in there.... it may be some of the clutch if its hard to drive so it may be going.

they are not super fast like everyone makes them out to be they are quick but the convertable is the heaviest version so you pay for having it by slowing the car down a little.

try to locate rattles its part of a mustang... most can be fixed easy though.

you can upgrade for cheap and have a better system just get a head unit and 4 speakers maybe components on the front~ and if you want to step it up get an amp to push all of the 4 speakers you replace.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 01:18 PM   #9
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Most of the rattle seems to be coming from the center console that holds stereo and the 5-Speed stick cover just below that. I was thinking about replacing those anyway with a dash kit; the polished metal look? Anyone familiar with these; cool or should I stay away?
OK, those dash kits are overlays. They stick on with 3M tape and have been know to peel. I would look into the real pieces from either Roush or the Mach 1 style dash kits.

Quote:
So you guys would suggest going with the Mach deck instead of an aftermarket Pioneer? I also wanna replace all speakers and add a subwoofer for some mean bass. I noticed that Mach systems have 4 speakers in the rear and tweeters in the front. My convertible doesn't have any of that (2 speakers front and back only). Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.
The Mach 460 uses two speakers in the front door panel and two speakers in the rear interior quarter panels for convertibles. The 460 also introduces a crude component setup by adding two tweeters in the sail panels.

The aftermarket path will be cheaper in your case. The Mach 460 is for that little extra from the factory.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:31 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Yeh, like I said, the only reason I put the 460 system in was for the stock look. Everything else will be aftermarket. Already have Pioneer REV's in the doors and looking for some really good 6x9's for rear deck. And amp all those with 2 10's in trunk.
Our's:
Old 10-13-2004, 01:35 PM   #11
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
low, u do know our rear decks are sized for 6x8s, right?

6x9 can fit, but you'll have to saw a little.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 03:20 PM   #12
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

If you can get creative, I've seen people mount them under the deck.

5x7s or 6x8s fit. They are the same size somehow.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:08 PM   #13
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99
that's true too.

I bought some 6x9s when I first got my 97, but realized they were the wrong size pretty quick, lol.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 06:08 PM   #14
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

With a little metal fab, you could have made them fit.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:15 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Yes I know the rear speakers are 6x8/5x7. The only difference between these two speakers is the mounting points. If you look on ebay they make a converter to 6x9. I bought these on my old car and put 6x9's in the rear that were originally 4x10's. Quite simple to do. I might just take a dremel to the rear on my stang though to make it all flush so I won't have to cut any of my rear deck out. But to answer your question, yes I'm well aware that the rear and front speakers are both 6x8's.
Our's:
Old 10-16-2004, 02:02 AM   #16

Thanks for all the tips guys. Aren't there 4 speakers in the rear for the Mach system; and if so what size. And can someone tell me what the size of the front speakers are?
Old 10-16-2004, 02:06 AM   #17

Sorry, another quick question. Can someone give me tips for installation of front and rear speakers? I mean, i was looking at the setup and think I have to take off the door panel for front speakers and the rear panel for the rear speakers. Is this correct; and if so if there somewhere to get tips on this. I did a search and didn't come up with much. Maybe just have too wing it!
Old 10-16-2004, 07:45 PM   #18
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

The sizes for the stock system are 5x7 or 6x8 all around. 5x7 and 6x8 are the exact same size.

Quote:
Can someone give me tips for installation of front and rear speakers?
I can't tell you how to install the speakers in the back but the front ones will remove by removing the door cup panel with a screw driver, followed by the door handle bezel, remove the sail panel with a screwdriver, and then pull the body clip located inside of the door out and then lift up and out of the door panel.

From there you can unscrew the speaker and unclip the harness from it. Honestly, one you get going you can figure it out. Taking the door panel off is really easy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Audio & Video