newbie - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > New Member Introductions & Greetings

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-20-2009, 06:28 PM   #1

was up mustang evolution. my name is jason. i live in brooklyn new york. im 18years old and im guyanese. my car is a 98 honda prelude. im going to sell it but i cant decide if i should stick with imports or get a mustang. i dont want you guys to think i joined this site to start a war between the 2. and i know you cant make up my mind for me but it will be nice to get some feedback from mustang drivers. what im looking for is a mean street car. im not going for a 800 hp street car. i just want some where between 350-400 hp. so with that said should i stick with imports or get a stang.

p.s for the imports im talking about 240sx,mk3 supra,fc rx7
dragon stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2009, 08:15 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Re: newbie

I don't give any money to foreign countries so i would never buy an import. A v8 sounds a million times better than any import ever thought of sounding. If you buy a cobra you'll be pretty clost to 350hp a few mods and you'll be happy.
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:52 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by upton7 View Post
I don't give any money to foreign countries so i would never buy an import. A v8 sounds a million times better than any import ever thought of sounding. If you buy a cobra you'll be pretty clost to 350hp a few mods and you'll be happy.
I'm sure there are plenty of parts on your stang from out of country.. Buy a Toyota and support my job! haha

Honestly though.. until recently I haven't been without a stang in some form since 2001 (but then got another haha)

I just enjoy .. .the v8 rumble, shifter bolted directly to the trans, RWD and ability to slide sideways on demand

They are so easy to modify, too.. want to stop hard and corner fast? You can do that easy.. Want to go fast in a straight line? Easy..

and having bottom end torque is a great feeling.. no need to rev to the moon to get moving normally..

Just my .02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I'm pretty sure my engine was made in america tho (which is the most important and expensive part of the vehicle
Old 05-20-2009, 10:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to Horse Send a message via Yahoo to Horse

Engine yes... All the electronics ON the engine... Nope, not a chance. Sad but true.
4.2L , CAI, BBK 65MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, SSM ported intakes, FLEX 1/2" spacer, RPM big valve heads, Comp roller rockers and cam, ASP-underdrive pulley, GT rear swaybar, & Quad Shocks, Full MM Coilover conversion, 17" Grey Torque Thrust wheels, FMS Aluminum driveshaft 8.8 rear w/ 3.73 gears, Tri-Ax Shorthrow shifter & SPEC stage II clutch w/ aluminum flywheel
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:47 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

if you dont want to send money to foreign countries, better throw away everything you own, play with balsa wood planes and eat nothing but bread. its ridiculous how such a vast majority of things we own are foreign.

anyways, to answer the original posters question, my answer is pretty simple. get a GT. if not, get an import. the GT is an amazing feeling car and if you are coming from imports, you will never look back. a v6 is ok, but i dont think id recommend it over an import. sure, you have the look and feel of the american muscle car, but the fact is, its not a v8, and even heavily modded v6ers will admit that they love their car, but its not the full mustang experience.

get a v8, you will fall in love with torque.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:23 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiarumas View Post
if you dont want to send money to foreign countries, better throw away everything you own, play with balsa wood planes and eat nothing but bread. its ridiculous how such a vast majority of things we own are foreign.

anyways, to answer the original posters question, my answer is pretty simple. get a GT. if not, get an import. the GT is an amazing feeling car and if you are coming from imports, you will never look back. a v6 is ok, but i dont think id recommend it over an import. sure, you have the look and feel of the american muscle car, but the fact is, its not a v8, and even heavily modded v6ers will admit that they love their car, but its not the full mustang experience.

get a v8, you will fall in love with torque.
Well Said

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:04 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

the difference in the mustang v8 and smaller displacment import engines is they make much more hp/tq lower in the rpm range and that in itself makes it more fun to drive and enjoy

it may not to past 6k rpms but its a great ride with cheap mods that can make the car anything you want
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

I recommend you look into a 2003/2004 Mach 1.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:15 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

welcome :thumbs2:

What are you willing to spend? Your budget will decide what you can buy. GT's are a dime a dozen, so you can find them for cheap, we're talking under 10k with 40k miles. You'll start with 220-230 rwhp and could add a power adder to easily boost power/torque to 350+ hp for a few grand more. Just make sure to buy a 5spd, NO autos

Mach 1's and n/a cobras are more expensive than GT's, but you are starting with 305/320 hp at the crank. They come with the 4V 4.6L v8. Many people have taken these and turned them into 500+ hp monsters. They are a great platform to mod.

The 03/04 cobras (terminators) are just plain sick. They were rated at 390 crank from the factory, but I think that is an understatement. These are the most expensive yet, ($19,000-$29,000+) but well worth the money. You can take a stock cobra, add exhaust, pulley, CAI, and a tune and you'll have a lightly modded 400+rwhp ***-whoopin machine.

IMO, I would go for the mustang, I think you'll come to love the torque, the sound, the raw feel of an american V8. The 99-04's are the best to choose from, more models, more options, a vast array of aftermarket parts, and they aren't as refined as the s-197's.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:13 PM   #11

im 18 so i cant afford a terminator or a mach 1. it will either be a fox or a 4.6 gt. is there anybody here thats had imports and domestics that can chime in?
Old 05-21-2009, 05:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon stang View Post
im 18 so i cant afford a terminator or a mach 1. it will either be a fox or a 4.6 gt. is there anybody here thats had imports and domestics that can chime in?
Look for a good shape 99-04 GT Coupe. What do you need an import guy to chime in on? Its straight forward. Buy it! You will learn as long as you do the research necessary on everything before you do it.

These cars don't have regular problems OR MAINSTREAM ISSUES. Most problems are self inflicted by driver/owner or an unexperienced mechanic. Check the usual things. Any fluid leaks. Maint History. Test Drive for noises. No rubber piles under the rear fenders. Signs of a good buyer. 100% must do Carfax or you are not smart.

Edit: The only problem I know of that is common are the plastic intakes cracking when being over tightened or somebody tries to install the thermostat housing incorrectly. Parts and After market is plentiful everywhere. Some good places to shop are Stangnet.com SVTperformance.com and Corral.net for mods that are lightly used or even new. Stuff like exhaust, wheels, and intakes are stuff that you can pick up cheap used for a bargain.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:22 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

I would go with a 99+ 4.6 2v then. People selling fox bodies seem to think they're gold so they expect top dollar for one in ****ty condition. You can get a 99+ GT in decent condition with 40k to 60k miles for under 9k.

Plus you can mod a 2v and have a nice 300hp dd that still gets 20+ mpg.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:11 PM   #14

what i meant was is there anybody on this board that used to be an import guy that is now a muscle car guy that can chime in.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:16 PM   #15
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

The thing anyone that's gone from import to mustang will tell you is that it's all about torque. With the import, you may make 300 hp, but you'll only have 15 ft/lbs of torque. With the mustang, you'll be over 300 tq depending on what model you get. It's a night and day difference.

We have a few people on here who did go import to domestic. There really is no comparison in fun when you want to get up and move. The torque of the domestic V8 is going to bring a smile to your face everytime.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:18 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
The thing anyone that's gone from import to mustang will tell you is that it's all about torque. With the import, you may make 300 hp, but you'll only have 15 ft/lbs of torque. With the mustang, you'll be over 300 tq depending on what model you get. It's a night and day difference.

We have a few people on here who did go import to domestic. There really is no comparison in fun when you want to get up and move. The torque of the domestic V8 is going to bring a smile to your face everytime.
+1,000,000,000

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > New Member Introductions & Greetings