New owner in Katy, TX - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > New Member Introductions & Greetings

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-29-2009, 08:32 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
New owner in Katy, TX

Hi all Benjamin here.

So I finally got my first Mustang! Its an '03 v6 convertible. I really don't know alot about cars I know a little more than the basics but have so much to learn.

I know its not a gt or cobra so I don't care to hear how yours will always be able to beat mine.... But I am really interested in the mods I can do to gain horse power and gas millage. I don't know what the best order to add mods is what I should do first. It already has the stablizing bars welded on underneath other than that I have no idea. I know I need to put some good breaks on it the ones right now are leaving alot of dust and I know that can't be good seeing as how I drive the car very normaly not running around stommping on the gas slamming on the breaks. I am sure cold air intake is a good add, and maybe a programmer? I am not loaded with money I will do projects one at a time.

Tell you what thou it feels better than I thought it would to be driving my own mustang... oh yeah I am 32 years old and this is only the second mustang I even sat in the seat of, that was by choice.

Look forward to learing and upgrading.

Thanks,
Benjamin
Bgover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2009, 08:55 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: New owner in Katy, TX

welcome, I have owned two v6 mustangs ( a 97 and an 01) and both were great cars.

The good news is the Mustang aftermarket is HUGE for all mustangs, not just the GT and Cobras so you have TONS of choices out there.

I would personally get an exhaust system first as you gain a little power, good sound, and looks so... you get some of everything. You can buy a take off GT catback and have it fit (cut off your Y pipe and a little fab work or an adaptor makes it work), you can buy a customer catback for a GT and have its connection made (same as take off catback), or you could have a full custom exhaust system made (stainless steel 2.25 pipe ONLY) but its all up to you. I suppose you could also just buy a bolt on V6 dual exhaust system, its not exactly true dual exhaust but its not bad either.

After that You can either do a cold air intake or under drive pulleys. I personally would lower the car 1.5 inches and then save up for some nice wheels and tires (generally cheap for mustangs).

Everyone has an opinion about what mods to do first but exhaust, cai, under drive pulleys, rear end gear upgrade/tlok unit, lowering, grill delete, window tint, and such are what mods say first.

Also note bolt on mods dont do much, they do help but not very much. Most give low hp/tq gains of around 5-7 each so dont expect much.

You mentioned a programmer, they do work good and add really good power but you must get a real tune, not an off the shelf tune. By this I mean you need to get the tuner from a dyno tune shop thats made for your car, there are many of these people out there. Try VMP Tuning as they seem to do good work and have good knowledge of V6 mustangs. If you have an auto transmission this will also make a bigger difference as they can alter the shifting and such of it and that helps out very much.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:11 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Hey thanks I was wondering about the exhaust I figured that going to a true dual exhaust would be best but wasn't sure about that.

on a side note I bought this car on friday may 22 and had a lady cross 4 lanes of traffic and dent and scrartch the driverside rear quarted panel my bumber and tire and wheel. Her insurance is paying me 1300 and I talk to a recomended body shop that says they can fix and paint it for like 600 I told them to hold of on the wheel cause I was thinking about buying new wheel all the way around anyway(down the road).

Guess i need to look into lowering the car 1.5" I thought that was done by changing wheels and tires. didn't know you lowerd the car another way.

I posted a pic.

Oh and yes its atomatic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	me and my stang.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	20691  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

I was in freeport wensday night

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks...

About an hour away... well 1 1/2 if you drive the speed limit...
Is it a much slower response time depending on the forum you write in?
Old 05-29-2009, 01:52 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

a tip for body work on the car, make sure the shop KNOWS what they are doing and its warrantied... dont pay a cheap price and get a horrible job done just fyi
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks, I figured that out by talking around a bit. I have verified and checked around. The 2 places I talked to both waranty thier work and have really good reputations around the area for good fair priced work. Its not real bad damage and a couple hundred was to fix the wheel and tire that got scraped up and I am looking at some 17's tonight so wont need to pay to fix that rim.... The estimator was real cool told me what needed to be done and told me I should be able to get it done cheaper than what they where going to give me. And I already have the money in my hand! Wish someone would answer my brake question in the v6 forum!
Old 05-29-2009, 06:58 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via MSN to 19Delta

Welcome to the site! I hope you enjoy it here. Here's a list of mods you can do to your sixer to beef it up a little:

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/t5654/
19Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

welcome :thumbs2:

I think the majority of the people on here own or have owned v6 mustangs, so I wouldn't worry about any problems there. Besides, they are great cars, regardless of missing two cylinders. I love mine, hell, I can't even part with it to buy another mustang. And I really want another mustang to play with.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:20 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina

WELCOME AND ENJOY YOUR CAR DO THE MODS THAT MAKE YOU FEEL THAT ITS REALLY YOURS AND ONE OF A KIND THATS THE FUN PART!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana2:
2007STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:22 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

do you race it ever?
dalltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:59 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks everyone I am excited...Yeah its a V6 but its mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalltx View Post
do you race it ever?
I have had it for just over a week its going through the stages of becoming my Mustang as I add the mods. I have not raced it. I do not think its any where near ready to even race if I was going too. Its acceleration from stop is pretty slow I think.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:10 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgover View Post

I know its not a gt or cobra so I don't care to hear how yours will always be able to beat mine....
We're all mustang enthusiasts, and car enthusiasts in general, unless you drive a honda we won't pick on you

Welcome to the site!
Old 05-30-2009, 11:50 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Send a message via MSN to bloodyspirit058

Quote:
I know its not a gt or cobra so I don't care to hear how yours will always be able to beat mine....
i'm not sure what your car weighs in at, but with 193 hp (i'm pretty sure this is what it puts out...) is not to far from my 215 on my gt (5.0L) so with your auto tuned up, a simple chip could set you faster than the 94/95 gt's... lol (thats what it looks like to me ne way, plus my shifting is a little slow in this car, i blame the tranny and shifter)

welcome, i'm sure you'll love it here.

1994 GT, stock gears, stock shifter, stock engine, stock rims (or knock offs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti2gsxr
There was a case of the stuff stacked at the end of an aisle. Definately not cold or in the cooler. Also it was over $7 for the two bottles.
bloodyspirit058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:59 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

welcome!

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:40 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the welcomes.

I think with a little tweeking and a chip it will be a prettyy fast car but it will be a process for me i am working on getting the basics down so far I have added 17's new brakes(ceramic) front and the back ones as soon as my order gets in. new battery. The cost add up fast especially the tires and wheels. I need to get the radio look at electronics is not my thing and the previous owner seems to have done a good job on messing it up when they pulled there other stuff out. then I think dual exhaust full body stabalizers CIA, and go from there that will probably take me a couple months to accomplish. Plus I am new to the mustang world and car world in general I can do the basic mechanic stuff but I want to learn the rest.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:13 AM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Welcome to M.E.

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:57 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodyspirit058 View Post
i'm not sure what your car weighs in at,
So I hear this alot how do you do this?

yeah I think a good shifter would probably make a big difference seems to have trouble getting out of first quickly if you put the pedal down.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:09 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

well i looked up the weight of the 03... all i could find was for a gt coupe, so i really don't know, i know a buddy's 02 gt weights about 3200 (had it on a truck scale, his was 3200 and mine was 3420 and both of us with 1/2 tank of fuel, and the curb wieght of my car is like 3405 so i think it was off a tiny bit, but not to much)

the curb weight might be somewhere on the door sticker, its not the same as the gross weight though, i first glanced at that and thought my car weighed 4400 somethin lbs...

Quote:
There was a case of the stuff stacked at the end of an aisle. Definately not cold or in the cooler. Also it was over $7 for the two bottles.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:20 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It already has the stablizing bars welded on underneath other than that I have no idea.
More than likely are Full Length Sub-frame Connectors.

Quote:
i need to look into lowering the car 1.5" I thought that was done by changing wheels and tires. didn't know you lowerd the car another way.
Yea in order to lower the car you will need lowering springs. There are different brands available such as Eibach, H&R, Steeda, and etc. In order to correctly lower the vehicle so as you don't have irregular tire wear, you will need to look into getting Caster/Camber Plates that install on top of the strut and allow for extra adjustments than stock plates. Then Finally you are going to need to get a Bump Steer kit for the front tie rod ends. I recommend Maximum Motorsports for both C/C plates and Bump Steer.
Estimates for Maximum Motorsports parts can be found here.

Something that won't hurt is to change the Shocks and Struts when doing the swap and you can look into the same company or others such as Bilsteins, Tokicos, or Konis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodyspirit058 View Post
i'm not sure what your car weighs in at, but with 193 hp (i'm pretty sure this is what it puts out...) is not to far from my 215 on my gt (5.0L) so with your auto tuned up, a simple chip could set you faster than the 94/95 gt's... lol (thats what it looks like to me ne way, plus my shifting is a little slow in this car, i blame the tranny and shifter)

welcome, i'm sure you'll love it here.
You have to take into consideration that Torque is going to make a major effect in the category of acceleration also. 5.0 near 300ft lbs. and 3.8L @ 210ft lbs.

Welcome!
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:10 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

Welcome
Old 06-03-2009, 05:47 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to modular2valve Send a message via Yahoo to modular2valve

welcome to the site.

96 GT- Who knows what's in it.
modular2valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:27 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

Welcome, you'll get great advice from the owners on here
Blkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:35 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

welcome
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:59 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
You have to take into consideration that Torque is going to make a major effect in the category of acceleration also. 5.0 near 300ft lbs. and 3.8L @ 210ft lbs.
forgot about that... course i don't really get to race it that often, only against turbo diesels on the street and against the clock during autox...

Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > New Member Introductions & Greetings