i have alot of questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > New Member Introductions & Greetings

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-03-2009, 01:07 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Send a message via Yahoo to Senorjizzy
Exclamation i have alot of questions

ok, im Dusty, im a 16 year old enthusiast, i love speed (i was saddened when i topped out at 115 in my mustang), i have a 1998 maroon 3.8L V6 mustang. at the moment it is all stock besides some audio upgrades, i have just been employed at a minimum wage job ha, and plan to mod my car. i know for sure that im getting a CAI, and maybe a BBK 56mm throttle body. i need help on pulleys though so please reply.
Senorjizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2009, 05:02 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy
Re: i have alot of questions

Welcome.

What questions do you have?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

welcome to the site, going 115 on a public road is grounds for a retardation test but when I was your age i did extremly stupid things like that as well.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

Welcome
Old 07-03-2009, 08:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

+1 on what Spec said, but in all honestly, we've all done it at one point, but I still wouldn't do it again.

CAI wouldn't be bad, along with exhaust. I wouldn't do the t/b, its not necessary until you're pushing some major power (supercharger/turbo).

The pulleys are pretty cheap for your year v6. ASP makes some decent ones...depending on the set you can get the crank and alternator pulley. BBK also makes some good ones, so you have some options.

The CAI, exhaust, and pulleys are reasonable mods given your income. These won't give you 50hp, but you will see some more power and a better exhaust note. That's a good place to start...

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:07 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Send a message via Yahoo to Senorjizzy

ok, well im glad that some one replied. i want to thank all of you. and i know that its retarded, but im 16 and invincible (so we all think) ha. but the whole CAI with exhaust, i know im getting the CAI for sure, the exaust though, i want it but all they have on AM are y pipes, i read in some of your other posts sonicpony03, that they dont really sound that great. may have read rong but thats just what ive read, and that u also recomend a gt bumper, ys tht? i figured it was for the dual exhaust look. also, how much power before the throttle body would u recommend? last but not least, pulleys... i understan how to install them, but does your car need to be tuned after that? i was thinking this morning that i should buy some gears, necessary?
Senorjizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:12 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

The y-pipe "bolt on" systems aren't bad, they still offer better sound over stock, and some performance...I always found the magnaflow y-pipe system to be too high pitched, the rest seemed okay, though exhaust really is a personal preference.

I always like the look of the GT bumper and dual tips, but some just angle the tips under the stock bumper. But you have the pre 99 body style, before they made cutouts in the bumper, so you should be able to use your stock bumper.

Most consider an upgrade in throttle bodies isn't necessary until you have a power adder. At that point you usually need more air flow along with larger injectors. The cost of the t/b isn't offset by any serious power gains with a stock engine, so personally I'd wait, and the largest mm t/b isn't always the best, keep that in mind as well.

You can install the exhaust, CAI, and pulleys on the car and not require a tune. However, once they are installed, a tune will make them more effective.

Gears are probably one of the best mods we can do. Common saying is 3.73's for manuals, 4.10's for autos...but if you're an auto and do a lot of highway driving, you might not want the taller gears, so it's based on your driving situation.
Along with gears, I'd get a tlok, it'll help with traction and allow 2 wheel burnouts

After installing the gears/tlok, you can get the speedo tooth gear to correct the speedometer. Luckily, you don't need a tuner to change the speedo, but the tooth gear might not be as accurate as a flash tune. I would still recommend a tuner after the bolt ons and gears though, it will wake your mustang up...really help if you're an auto.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > New Member Introductions & Greetings