Hi everyone--Not an owner (yet) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > New Member Introductions & Greetings

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-31-2009, 02:36 AM   #1

Region: Wisconsin
Hi everyone--Not an owner (yet)

Hi everyone,

I poked around here for a while and decided to join.

I recently got the itch to buy a Mustang and have just begun my research. Part of my reason to join was to get some advice on what to look for, what year would be good, etc. I'll start here instead of sticking a post in the wrong spot.

This will sound dumb, but I don't really know what I want. I'm torn between focusing on a 'vert and a regular GT. (Meaning, V6 convertibles are more common and easier to find. But, c'mon, I know the story--in the back of my mind, I know that if I want a Mustang, I want an 8). The convertible would be more fun and suit the purpose of buying the Mustang to begin with (something to drive in the summer on the weekends, drive to work occasionally, etc).

So, theoretically, my budget is max $10k, insurance is a non-factor (for V6 vs V8...I'm 33) and I'm not really buying the car to have a "collector's car"--I want to drive it and enjoy it. I like: 04 Mach 1 or 99-04 convertibles. I am open to basically anything but a Mustang II. I really, really prefer an '05+, but it's outside the budget. (I've got the loan payment on the Fusion!).

If there's a better place for the question...let me know!
Brewfangrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2009, 08:25 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Hi everyone--Not an owner (yet)

Before you buy a convertible you need ask yourself if you are the type to just use your windows and no AC in the summer or if you are an AC freak and have dont ever use just your windows unless the weather is perfect. Same goes for winter time. If you dont like to use just the windows then a convertible is not for you.

I use mine all the time, and I wont lie... in the summer sitting still it gets HOT and you will sweat lol... just part of it. If you are that type of person then go for it, just FYI and also they will have more upkeep (not much worse but some). And they are not as safe at all in a roll over.

With that said for around 10k~ you could pick up a 99-04 body style GT or V6 convertible as you mentioned, thats probably going to be your best bet. You can search for a 99 Cobra if you wish but I dont see one in the 10k price range.

The 96-98 cobras are great cars (300hp/tq 4 valve 4.6L engine) and are generally around that. Cobras tend to be better taken care of (generally not always) compared to a GT or V6 as more enthusiasts own them.

If you plan to mod the car for speed then I would aim for a GT personally but if thats not your thing then either will be fine. The sound wont be as nice in the V6 but the 3.8L isnt to bad sound wise.

so in the end if it was me I would consider
1. 96-98 cobra
2. 99-04 gt
3. 99-04 V6 convertible

in that order
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2009, 09:02 AM   #3
Blogger
Blogger

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via MSN to rickf73 Send a message via Skype™ to rickf73

Welcome.

I just purchased my first convertible and I love it. Spector is right about the summer and sitting at a red light or stop and go traffic. Of course you can turn the AC up to max and get a little relief. My thought is that the Springs, Fall and our Winters will more than make up for it. I did drive a lot with my windows open before, besides I need to sweat.
Anyway there are a lot of good people here that will give you some great advice and are more that willing to answer any question you have.
rickf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:22 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to modular2valve Send a message via Yahoo to modular2valve

welcome.

96 GT- Who knows what's in it.
modular2valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Regarding the vert part, I'd consider what was in the above posts. I personally don't own a convertible but that advice sounds good to me

Regarding the v6 vs v8 part. If you do plan on modding the car a good amount (which you probably will since you'll get the itch) I'd go the GT/Cobra route.
The v6 is a great car and has potential, but you're getting a much better starting platform with the v8. Plus, you can't beat that v8 sound, it makes cruising that much better.

The lowest I've seen a Mach 1 in the Wisconsin area is around $12.5 with high miles, so they might be out of your price range. But as Spec said, 96-98 cobras can be had for under $10k.

I see that you're from Wisconsin, I did an autotrader search 100 miles out from the middle of the state and I found a nice 01 GT 5spd vert with 56k miles for $8,995. So they are out there. IMO, I'd go for the v8.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l 2.6 Pulley/Idler l Airaid l o/r X l 305 NT555R's l Recaros l

04 Azure Blue Mach 1 / 03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 14 Sterling Grey F150 FX4 402A 5.0 / 11 GT500 R.I.P.
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Here's the link to that 01 GT. It looks clean, if it does interest you, and you go look at it, keep in mind there's a nitrous rack in the trunk. Could've been beat on by a previous owner. The engine itself could be toast while the exterior looks fine.

Cars for Sale: 2001 Ford Mustang GT in Neenah, WI 54915: Convertible Details - 264843718 - AutoTrader.com

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l 2.6 Pulley/Idler l Airaid l o/r X l 305 NT555R's l Recaros l

04 Azure Blue Mach 1 / 03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 14 Sterling Grey F150 FX4 402A 5.0 / 11 GT500 R.I.P.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:49 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

never jump on the first car just to have one, take your time and the right one will come along. Also... I would advise against buying a black car unless you plan to wash it and keep it up VERY regularly lol they are a nightmare.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:49 PM   #9

Thanks for all the tips, everyone!

Spector pretty much told me what I probably already knew, I think--but it's good to hear from folks that know. I didn't really think about "think how you use your current car" and I realized I'm totally a windows up/AC on kind of guy. Being in WI, I appreciate rickf73 can use his convertible in the spring, fall or winter, but there's no such thing here.

As for not jumping in, great advice. I very, very much do not need this car. I just started getting the itch and may easily be a year away from purchase. But, I like to get ideas and I really like the idea of owning a car that has a "community". So, I can browse patiently for the right GT to come along.

Sonic, it's a good find---but you're right, I worry about the nitrous in the car. Not that there's anything wrong with doing it---but I have no way to know if this was a yahoo or a smart owner. Surprisingly, I did find a Dark Shadow Gray Mach 1 for $9995 with 62k on it or something. I do really worry about that here, though: A car averaging 12-15k a year means either: it came from somewhere else or someone drove everyday through 5 or 6 Wisconsin winters. That'd be a no. When I really ready to go, I figure an unlimited Carfax purchase will be money well spent.
Brewfangrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:17 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

All great advice there. Just wanted to let you know that i've seen 05-06 stangs for right at about 10k for a V6 since you said you would really like an 05+. But the Gts are usually around 12+ on craigslist.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:19 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I think the best thing you can do is have patience and wait for the car you want. Hell, within a year's time Mach 1's and GT's may depreciate even more and become more affordable.

Carfax's are nice, but they don't always reveal everything wrong with a car. If someone has an accident with the car and fixes it themselves or pays cash for a shop to do it (not involving insurance), it won't show up on the carfax. A carfax will provide some history of the car (like whether it was a rental), but not everything.

Your best bet is to educate yourself about these cars and have the knowledge to spot issues or problems that a carfax might miss.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:01 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Rick, I assume your loving the temperatures out here right now, as I just saw you cruising with the top down on Hwy 190 yesterday!
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:36 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

In my case I wanted and 03 cobra and nothing else would do (anything else would be just to settle and get something) so I saved for long time while in college to get one~ worked out good
Old 09-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #14
Blogger
Blogger

Send a message via MSN to rickf73 Send a message via Skype™ to rickf73

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
Rick, I assume your loving the temperatures out here right now, as I just saw you cruising with the top down on Hwy 190 yesterday!
Yea, it has been great. I can't wait till the fall for some real cruising. Turn the music up and the top down.
rickf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:23 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Greetings

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > New Member Introductions & Greetings