Shelby GT500 40th Anniversary Mods - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > New Member Introductions & Greetings

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #1

Shelby GT500 40th Anniversary Mods

Okay all you wizzards and unlimited knowledge base. I recently acquired a 07 GT500 with 1475 miles. I love this car and wanted to get one from the time they announced it. Unfortunately, while I was willing to pay the MSRP price, I was not willing to pay a 30K to 40K dealer add-on price. So I waited until the right deal came along. I am considering sending it to Shelby America to have the 40th Anniversary upgrade ket installed. The cost is 12K and for the most part you are getting a Shelby Serial Number and mostly cosmetic enhancements along with a few performance upgrades (i.e., suspension, cat back exhaust, etc.) This is not the Super Snake upgrade, however, the car does look a lot better with 20 inch wheels and carbon fiber replacement body parts. So my question is this: Is it worth it or am I really just getting the Shelby Serial Number? I know that for the most part vehicle appearance is a personal issue, however, 12K would go a long way to significantly increasing the performance of the car (i.e., supercharger upgrade, suspension, headers, brakes, etc.) Drive safe and thanks for your input - Jon
jonfullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2010, 12:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Shelby GT500 40th Anniversary Mods

Personally.... its a waste of money... honestly with 12k you can do so many amazing things to that car... vs blowing it on a few choice overpriced (by far) items from shelby directly. Shelby is also VERY slow in doing your car FYI.

If I had 12k to spend on your car I would spend 3,000-4,000 on custom wheels (see my wheels for example), lower the car (500 bucks), cosmetic exterior carbon fiber etc 1000 bucks, TVS/Whipple supercharger upgrade 4000 bucks, install and tune 2000 bucks...

end result much much more badass (600rwhp-800rwhp and looks awesome) than that crap shelby gives you.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

I think all anniversaries and dealer upgrades aren't worth it unless somehow these cars will be worth something 20 years from now
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
Blogger
Blogger

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via MSN to rickf73 Send a message via Skype™ to rickf73

Welcome to ME!!

I agree with Spec for the most part. If I had an 07 and the extra money, I might think about the 40th anniversary Super Snake. I have an 08 and don't have the extra bucks to just throw at it. It takes usually 6 months for the work from what I have been told and you have to get it there and back.
Most of the parts would be available for the conversion. I know several have Super Snaked their car for well under the Shelby cost and most people probably would not know the difference. Shelby is much higher on their products than other after market company's because of the name.
It is still a matter of if you want it done do it, but that money can go a long way on after market mods.

Spend a little time looking around for parts and prices first then do what you will be happy with. That is what it is all about.
rickf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

At the end of the day for 12k you can have a much more badass car performance and look wise than shelby can deliver, just let us know where you want to start and we will help you on the way to get there.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Welcome to the site & SpectorV is giving some good advice.
big show 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:17 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

i wouldnt drop the dime for the shelby brand wheels when for the money you can blow them out of the water with custom made ones.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:41 AM   #8

Hey folks, I appreciate all your input. I have been going back and forth on the upgrades for the cost and I am of the opinion that all I am really paying for is the Shelby Serial Number. So the real question is what is it worth at a personal level and at a resale level? You can clearly get better after market products to effect handling, performance and cosmetics without paying the prices that Shelby America is asking. I am one of those guys that had an opportunity to by an original GT500 in the late 60's and thought it a bit ugly with all the plastic wood vanier when it appeared there were clearly better cars back then. However, back then you didn't really think about cars appreciating in value - I never said I was the brightest star in the sky. When the new GT500 came out, I was at the age where I could throw a little money at it. However, Ford's relationship with Shelby related to GT500 is little more than a marketing ploy. The KR and the new GT350 begins to re-establish the tight relationship that Ford had with SA by shipping base vehicles to the Las Vegas factory and having SA do the performance upgrades and completing the vehicles before they go to the dealers. And oh yes, they are delivered as certified Shelby vehicles with a stamped Shelby serial number. Will they be worth something in the future, who knows. Fundamentally, the Mustang is about "fun." When someone asked me why I wanted 500 HP, my answer was simple "because I can." Beyond the 40th Anniversary Package, I want to upgrade the supercharger, do the brakes, add the air intake and put a tune on it that will dyno at 700+ HP. Why, again, because I can! So is the 40th package a good deal, probably not if the metric is value to cost? However, I want the Shelby Serial Number so the real metric is "emotion." I am going to be coming back to you folks for advice and recommendations. I still have lots of questions and this website is really a cool source of information. Thanks for all your input.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:10 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

in terms of "will it be worth it in the future" it depends on how many they make. They have already flooded the market with shelby cars so... just the GT500 in gerneal.. it wont be worth much of anything more than a semi rare car like the 03/04 cobra (which is more rare) would be.

Since it take shelby so freaking long to do such simple things to your car for the price you will probably be able to sell the car and break even as someone will want that package but they do not wish to wait for the time and hassle of having it done. Also expect another 1k or so on top for shipping or maybe more.

All in all I am pretty sure you wont lose all 12k invested in the kit but I do not see it appreciating in value and gaining you anything ANY time soon... there are simply to many of them.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:17 AM   #10
Blogger
Blogger

I don't think you can look at any of these cars as holding value. They are overpriced now and too many made to hold much value. There are a large number of cars that are not driven or driven very little that want to try to hold some kind of value.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:35 PM   #11

You are absolutley right. They have produced far too many of these vehicles for them to appreciate in value. Do you know how many years Ford plans on building the Shelby GT500? I had thought is was 3, however, with the 2011 model coming out, it begs the question. Given the large number being produced it is already making it difficult for dealers to ask a premium price and I am aware that some dealers will discount off of MSRP. Also, I am seeing a large number of these car sit on the lot for an extended time.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:42 PM   #12
Blogger
Blogger

I was told the '10 would be the last but that has proved to be wrong. I don't know how long the contract with Shelby is. It has been said Ford is working on a new Mustang for 2014 to compete in the world market.
I don't think any dealer can ask a premium price for them, just to many around. Although you don't see many on the streets.
Anything with the Shelby name on it is overpriced.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:31 PM   #13

I don't disagree with your comment and anything with Shelby on it is overpriced. On the other hand, you certainly have a great looking 08 and I am assuming it has Shelby on it somewhere???
Old 02-12-2010, 10:12 PM   #14
Blogger
Blogger

Yep, it does say Shelby and I know it was overpriced but it was a life long dream to own a GT500. I went into it knowing this and had no illusions of retaining value. I plan on driving it for a very long time. I have had it about 7 months and it now has 15k with no stopping in the near future. Like I said it is what you are happy with, that is what matters.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:13 AM   #15

I could not have said it better! It sounds like we have a lot in common with regard to our desire to have a Shelby. Not sure where you live but hopefully you have an opportunity to enjoy putting top down and just enjoying the ride. I bought my 07 from a friend, whose dad had bought it in October of 2006. Not sure why he bought it because when I brought it in August of 2010 it only had 1476 miles on it. Other than the drivers seat, the other seats still had the plastic wrap from the factory on them,. I mean this car looked like it had just come off the showroom floor. Not a nick, scratch or anything wrong with it. Hell, it still smelled new inside! While I test drove the car before buying it, on the drive home it felt a bit sluggish. So a couple days later I was going through and checking it out under the hood. I opened the airbox containing the air filter and it looked a bit funny so I pulled it out. Wow, was I surprised. This guys dad lived up in Northern California, in a somewhat of a rural area. He had kept the car garaged. I am guessing because it was never really driven a family of mice had decided that the airbox would be a great place to build the family home. It was completely full of grass, some stuff that looked like cotton and a few twigs, and while the mouse family had long since vacated their home (probably when the car was move to his sons house in San Diego) I was amazed that it was getting enough air to even run. Needless to say, when I replaced the air filter and cleaned out the airbox, the car ran a lot better. Have a great day!
Old 02-16-2010, 01:11 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

good story lol, let someone else take the depreciation and you get to enjoy a brand new car now

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > New Member Introductions & Greetings