Leaking, standing water on both front floor boards - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > New Member Introductions & Greetings

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-28-2006, 11:30 AM   #1

Question Leaking, standing water on both front floor boards

Hey there, we are new to the site, recently acquired a beatiful 01 GT Ragtop. Love the car, ......but, during this rainy Memorial Day weekend, we discovered the top, seals, or drains, (if such a thing) are leaking, clogged, any or all of the above. The car is in excellent shape, rubber seals appear to be good. Unfortunately, due to too much stuff in the garage, our baby, has NOT made it in the garage yet.

So, I had an idea this morning, to check for a message board on Stangs, to see if we might learn a thing or 2 about this current issue, as well as much more about our new baby, from other happy, Stang owners.

We are located in the RAINY Pacific NW, Kent, WA area, this is an awesome area, when the sun is shining, we chose a convertible over a road bike to enjoy this and many more summers cruising in style feeling the sunshine and wind cooling us.

I greatly appreciate any advice on this subject, and look forward to getting to learn and know more about our pride and joy, as well as getting to know others that own mustangs, and hopefully find a club or group near us to join and share our joy of mustangs,as well as get out and have fun together.

I hope you all are enjoying this holiday weekend!
Roz01GTRagtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2006, 01:55 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
Re: Leaking, standing water on both front floor boards

Hard to say for sure, but I would bet its from your A/C rather than your top.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 02:21 PM   #3
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick0636
Hard to say for sure, but I would bet its from your A/C rather than your top.
That would likely cause it on the passenger side since the blowers over there, so I dont see that being the problem. When does it get a bunch of water in it? Just after it rains or what? How much water is there?

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2006, 04:49 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

If it is both front floor floorboards are wet you have either a leaking windshield, AC/ heater core is leaking or there is a problem with the top not sealing properly.

Here are some ideas. Take a water hose and spray only at the base of the windshield really good. DO NOT SPRAY THE TOP. Check to see if it is wet.

Turn on the A/C. look under the dash and pull the carpet back where the carpet stops under the dash. If no water appears especially on the passenger side then that is not the problem.

Take a water hose and spray the top really well and have someone in the car and try to find the leaks.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:41 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

To have standing water in the floorboards would have to be a very bad, and likely very noticeable, leak in the weatherstripping.

Take Brother Corey's (i.e. Danger Dude's) advice. Also, take a close look and see if it looks more like coolant than water. Better yet, take a good smell of it and see if it smells like coolant.

The heater core seems like a much more likely cause of that than a leak to me. My old '91 convertible leaked pretty bad, but it never got bad enough to see standing water in the floorboards. I could accidentally leave the top down in the rain, and it still didn't have standing water.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:44 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302
To have standing water in the floorboards would have to be a very bad, and likely very noticeable, leak in the weatherstripping.

Take Brother Corey's (i.e. Danger Dude's) advice. Also, take a close look and see if it looks more like coolant than water. Better yet, take a good smell of it and see if it smells like coolant.

The heater core seems like a much more likely cause of that than a leak to me. My old '91 convertible leaked pretty bad, but it never got bad enough to see standing water in the floorboards. I could accidentally leave the top down in the rain, and it still didn't have standing water.

Very good advice if it smells like coolant it is definately the heater core
Old 06-10-2006, 01:33 AM   #7
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

Youd think itd be pretty obvious if it was coolant though... plus the green/orange color would be present if it was actually standing there. I know coolant will hurt the nose if it sits in a car while the suns out. That **** would just bake in there and smell aweful.

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 01:14 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimStang
Youd think itd be pretty obvious if it was coolant though... plus the green/orange color would be present if it was actually standing there. I know coolant will hurt the nose if it sits in a car while the suns out. That **** would just bake in there and smell aweful.
Unless nobody as put antifreeze in it for a while and just added water because the heater core was leaking and they were trying to sell it!!!
Old 06-10-2006, 02:34 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude
Unless nobody as put antifreeze in it for a while and just added water because the heater core was leaking and they were trying to sell it!!!
Very good point Brother Corey.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 07:56 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

yeah i'd agree, what he decribes matches my experience with a busted heater core to the T... except I did have green coolant, and I could never seem to get my windows to defrost (happened in winter)

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > New Member Introductions & Greetings