Any Old Guys new to Mustangs out there? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > New Member Introductions & Greetings

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-30-2010, 08:26 AM   #1

Any Old Guys new to Mustangs out there?

I have been a mechanical engineer for over thirty five years and have designed equipment that works at the sub-micron level to Space Shuttle and Ares rocket support. I have worked on cars as a teen and young adult under bad circumstances. I usually didn't have the tools or the place to work. I have worked on cars laying on my back on gravel in the cold, (Alabama and Michigan), and on my back in the rain (Florida). I love the engine, but, just being a mechanical engineer doesn't qualify you to be a good automotive engineer or mechanic. I learned what little I know from a Chilton Auto Manual and trial and error. I have twice as much experience in some areas as most folks, because I usually do things wrong the first time, then have to re-do it. That makes twice the experience.

I was injured in a rear end collision that left me with multiple ruptured discs and concussion. My life is a little slower these days and I am beginning to "smell the roses now". I have worked hard since I was age 15, working in a peach packing plant, then grocery store during high school. I have always worked and paid my way through school.
Now that I have a little free time, I am thinking I would like to fix the Mustang up.

It seems that most people posting on the forum are young and have good and fast cars. I was wondering if I am the only inexperienced old guy out here.
richardcrowson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2010, 08:53 AM   #2

Region: Maryland
Re: Any Old Guys new to Mustangs out there?

You're not the only old guy, for sure, but this one leaves the mechanics to the mechanic.

Grazes Across Concrete --

5/13/05
Stock 2000 3.8L V6, No Mod.
Age at Benchmark: 65,750 miles.
Laurel, MD to Arnold, PA: 252.4 miles.
Refill: 8.85 Gallons.
MPG: 28.52

-- No Complaints: She's One Sweet Ride.
commart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:21 AM   #3

Region: Texas

Not really sure what qualifies as old anymore but I'm not 20 or 30 either, I still do a few things myself but for the most part I leave it up to a pro.
MT2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2010, 02:39 PM   #4

I'm thinking over 55 is qualifies me as an old guy. I'll be 60 in 2013. I'm a little younger than my hair and older than my teeth. My mind is nearly age 12.
I've been told, that if I get any more addled, I can hide my own Easter eggs.

By the way, I took my avitar pix at night, I figure anyone living in florida can show a convertible picture in the sunlight.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

I'm 50 years young- working on my 10th Mustang. My first car was a '66 coupe in 1976, and my latest is an '07 Parnelli Jones. I had a long break away from Mustangs during the "raise kids" years, and when I came back to the herd I was WAY behind the times.

Somehow, having Mustangs has kept me feeling young. I did the best thing though- I joined a local club, as well as the online Mustang community like this one. There are always people in the clubs that are eager to help when another member needs assistance with their car. We've had engine-pulling parties, tuning days, late night roadside emergency rescues, you name it. And having a diverse age group keeps me up to speed with what the younger set is doing.
sinister07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

glad to see you old bastards still stang'n it!

I'm 48 & I was told by a 22yr old I was going through a mid-life crisis because I drove a stang
Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:12 PM   #7

Red face Re: Any Old Guys new to Mustangs out there?

Thanks for the reply. My back injuries after being totaled from behind have made it difficult to work on a car.
I did replaced the vent cowl today and also used a kit on the headlights. I am suffering now and had to take Loritab.
But, just looking at the final result makes me feel it was worth it.

Thanks for the reply. I have wanted a Mustang as long as you have had them, but, felt that I had to be frugal and buy less expensive family cars.

Now, I am thinking I will buy nothing but Mustangs from here on out.
I priced a 2010 Roush 427R today and realized that I will stay with my 1999 convertible for a long time to come. But, I will start to dream.
I bought my wife a 2004 Caddy SRX, so, next newer car will be mine. I will upgrade slowly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinister07 View Post
I'm 50 years young- working on my 10th Mustang. My first car was a '66 coupe in 1976, and my latest is an '07 Parnelli Jones. I had a long break away from Mustangs during the "raise kids" years, and when I came back to the herd I was WAY behind the times.

Somehow, having Mustangs has kept me feeling young. I did the best thing though- I joined a local club, as well as the online Mustang community like this one. There are always people in the clubs that are eager to help when another member needs assistance with their car. We've had engine-pulling parties, tuning days, late night roadside emergency rescues, you name it. And having a diverse age group keeps me up to speed with what the younger set is doing.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #8
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

Well I'm not that old (36) but I do understand the part about starting to smell the roses. I have been able to do that a little now and its seems like its only going to get better. As long as I'm young in the mind and have good friends around to share my hobbies with I'm good to go. Oh,and a full head of hair,lol.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:50 PM   #9

well now i dont think i am old but in 1966 i had a pony car 289 v8 3 speed, had to sell the car because uncle sam sent me to a place called Viet Nam....
today at 62 i have a 2006 v6 supercharger 5 speed rocket ship!!!! some things never change......
gt front sway bar and strut tower bracket,
8 auto meter electric guages
colorado pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:50 PM   #10

I recently bought a 2010 GT Prenium which is the first on I have owned since 1995. Had a couple of others prior to that. Love being back in the Mustang business. I am now considered to be a senion citizen. BTW would you be any kin to a Willie Crowson that lived and drove a truck in Alabama? I knew him well and really admired him.
FRONTIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:28 PM   #11

My grandfather was named William Alexander Crowson and lived in Clanton Alabama. He was called "Willie". In his earlier years he was a builder. In later years he was in Real Estate. A cousin that lived in Bessemer Alabama was also named William, His brother who lives in Wichita is named Richard Crowson. My son is named William Richard Crowson II, My brother is William Alexander II.
William, Richard, David and Alexander are family names that have been handed down since the 1750's in this country. I am named Richard David Crowson.
What part of Alabama were you thinking of? I am not sure if Willie in Bessemer drove a truck (I assume 18 Wheeler) or not.
My DAD died in 2004 at age 77, just to give you a relative age time frame.
The Crowsons have been around in Alabama, Texas, Florida and Tennessee for a long time. Cades Cove near Gattlingburg Tenn. was originally named Crowson's Cove after Aaron Crowson an ancestor of mine.
Thanks for the kind words in behalf of the Willie Crowsons
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRONTIER View Post
I recently bought a 2010 GT Prenium which is the first on I have owned since 1995. Had a couple of others prior to that. Love being back in the Mustang business. I am now considered to be a senion citizen. BTW would you be any kin to a Willie Crowson that lived and drove a truck in Alabama? I knew him well and really admired him.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:39 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

I'm not a "guy" do I still count? .. rofl .. I have always been a GM kinda gal and recently (very recently) got a mustang .. so far I love it .. and already have my wishlist full of things to do to it .. Even though I'm a "gal" I know my way around socket sets and doing things myself .. hahahaha ..
'09 Mustang - work in progress - Magnaflow exhaust, sequential tail lights, chrome kit inside, running pony center console cover, vent visors, 6" stripes, chin, CAI and tuning from American Muscle!! painted white louvers.
phantomfuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:04 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomfuzzie View Post
Even though I'm a "gal" I know my way around socket sets and doing things myself .. hahahaha ..
my kind of gal
Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:29 PM   #14

Sorry that I was not politically correct , Gals count as Guys also in this context.
Brother and Sisters in Arms, or, better yet, Brothers and Sisters in Cars...
It's very cool that you answered the blog.

Quote:
I'm not a "guy" do I still count? .. rofl .. I have always been a GM kinda gal and recently (very recently) got a mustang .. so far I love it .. and already have my wishlist full of things to do to it .. Even though I'm a "gal" I know my way around socket sets and doing things myself .. hahahaha ..
Old 06-01-2010, 08:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardcrowson1 View Post
My grandfather was named William Alexander Crowson and lived in Clanton Alabama. He was called "Willie". In his earlier years he was a builder. In later years he was in Real Estate. A cousin that lived in Bessemer Alabama was also named William, His brother who lives in Wichita is named Richard Crowson. My son is named William Richard Crowson II, My brother is William Alexander II.
William, Richard, David and Alexander are family names that have been handed down since the 1750's in this country. I am named Richard David Crowson.
What part of Alabama were you thinking of? I am not sure if Willie in Bessemer drove a truck (I assume 18 Wheeler) or not.
My DAD died in 2004 at age 77, just to give you a relative age time frame.
The Crowsons have been around in Alabama, Texas, Florida and Tennessee for a long time. Cades Cove near Gattlingburg Tenn. was originally named Crowson's Cove after Aaron Crowson an ancestor of mine.
Thanks for the kind words in behalf of the Willie Crowsons
It is the Willie in Bessemer. One of his sons was in Arizonia for a while and then maybe Washington State. Thanks for the reply.
FRONTIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:33 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sorry that I was not politically correct , Gals count as Guys also in this context.
Brother and Sisters in Arms, or, better yet, Brothers and Sisters in Cars...
It's very cool that you answered the blog.
giggle .. no biggie .. its not usual for gals to like to play with cars .. even more so to actually do the work themselves or at least what can be done .. which is surprisingly quite a lot. I don't weld, but can do lots of the other stuff .. hehe ..
'09 Mustang - work in progress - Magnaflow exhaust, sequential tail lights, chrome kit inside, running pony center console cover, vent visors, 6" stripes, chin, CAI and tuning from American Muscle!! painted white louvers.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:18 AM   #17

Quote:
giggle .. no biggie .. its not usual for gals to like to play with cars .. even more so to actually do the work themselves or at least what can be done .. which is surprisingly quite a lot. I don't weld, but can do lots of the other stuff .. hehe ..
I've got a a couple of welders, the flux core welder that Harbor Freight sells might be something you want to look into. It runs off 110V and about 10 Amps, normal garage current. It is easy to use, but, your nails might not survive.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:19 AM   #18

Cool,
he actually wrote a book about the Crowson Genealogy. He and I spoke about 15 years ago and I filled him in on our side of the family for his research.
Thanks for the kind words.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:54 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It is easy to use, but, your nails might not survive.
thats what they make manicures for!! giggle .. you go get them fixed when you destroy them playing cars!!
Old 06-02-2010, 10:30 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

I am experienced enough to know what I shouldnt do and what I should lol... I guess thats a pretty good level
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > New Member Introductions & Greetings