Mustang Evolution Forum banner

15 year old?!

5K views 87 replies 31 participants last post by  ivoryowner 
#1 ·
A 15 year old wanting a Mustang?! Im from Houston, Texas, bron and raised, I love Mustangs and everything about them. First off let me say that I know more about Mustangs than alot of 15 year olds do and im always willing to listen to people to help me know more about them and become "part of the family". Anyways, im looking at anywhere from a 99-04 Mustang GT for my first car, please dont tell me im going to have my face re-arranged on a telephone pole and how a v2 engine is too much for me, ive heard it all. Not trying to be an ass or think im smarter/wiser about the subject because im sure most of you already have your Mustang and are on your way with mods so to speak.

Thanks for getting to know a little about me and I hope I can learn more about Mustangs and interact with you guys! :D

#53 ·
300 a month is either you have a BAD record or they are screwing you, I paid like 100 a month for mine back when I was 17-20ish~ now my cobra is like 70 a month full coverage with 250 deductible.

#56 ·
when I was 16 in 2005, I bought a 2006 mustang v6 with my own cash but then never realized that I had to pay 3600 for full coverage insurance every year, might want to check that before you buy a car. Now at 20 almost 21, I am paying close to half of that for an 07 GT. Insurance is a killer at young age

#58 ·
I think when I do decide on the Mustang im going to go with a v6 of some kind and get a feel for the Mustang in general and then as I get older, out of highschool get something nice that I can mod up and make it mine.

I will testdrive cars even before I make the purchase of the v6 Mustang, if I do.

#59 ·
I think when I do decide on the Mustang im going to go with a v6 of some kind and get a feel for the Mustang in general and then as I get older, out of highschool get something nice that I can mod up and make it mine.

I will testdrive cars even before I make the purchase of the v6 Mustang, if I do.
That's good sense. A GT is not something someone with 0 experience driving should have. Not because you won't be able to handle the power. Because the insurance company will piitb. Like they said.

#70 ·
Telephone pole...hell I highly doubt you even get a mustang gt. My first car was a 88 acura integra....then, 96 pontiac grand am, then 89 mustang lx with a 306. Now a bone stock 88 gt. My insurance is like way less than half of yours and we only pay $150 mo. That's with 3 drivers and 3 vehicles... I am from Texas too so that's not a good excuse.

#71 ·
I didn't wreck or get any tickets in my first car and I started driving on my own at 15 1/2. First ticket I was 18, first wreck I was 17 and in my 1st mustang. Tree head on at a T intersection. Then I pulled out into the side of a lincoln a few months later. A few tickets later and here I am.

Did alot of stupid stuff and met alot of nice cops...just be safe is all you can do.

#74 ·
When i was 15 i had a 1992 Toyota Paseo with a 65whp of fury that i thought was fast lol, then I had a 2001 sebring for the rest of high school.
I used to see all those kids back in high school that got camaro z28's, ss's, mustangs, etc. as their first car and saw them wrecked due to there lack of skill and lack of appreciation for how powerful there car was.

Just start off slow and progress to a v8 mustang, best advice i can give.

Now my Mustang is the slowest car ive owned in the last 2 years or so and insurance is a killer compared to my turbocharged nissan sentra se-r ,which i was only paying $50 a month and was waaaay faster haha.

#86 ·
I started with a 1997 Sebring JXI vert Red. It wasn't my original intention. He asked our dealer friend about a Mustang, our friend said, well I don't want Andy (me) having that much power, but I'll see what I find. About 2 weeks later the Sebring shows up, it was a trade in and only had 60K miles on it. In 05 the S197 came out and I knew I had to have one. The Sebring developed a bad seal and started having issues so I bought the mustang.

Insurance on the Mustang is around 80-90 dollars a month. I've had one at fault accident (sebring) no ticket.

#87 ·
Welcome to the site.

Don't worry, we've all been there. We all had v6 wanting GTs. But now in my mid 20s, I can safely say a v8 would have been too much for my 17 year old self. Especially with insurance rates and gas floating around 3/gallon.

I paid about 150/month insurance for my 99 v6. Now, I pay about 100/month for my 08, 150hp mazda3 haha. It all depends on area... and when everyone around you is driving Porsche, Aston Martins, and 7 series BMWs, I made the decision to go cheap on the car until 25. Then I'll consider something potentially expensive (on payments, insurance, and at the pump)... and with all that money I saved will allow me to buy even more car this time around.

#88 ·
All insurance premiums depend on several things....what size engine in your car, how old are you, what state do you live in, whether or not you're on your parent's policy, and males under 25 pay more than females of the same age. I have a new mustang, my husband has an '04 F-150, we pay $1400 per year for BOTH vehicles. Good luck to you getting your first Mustang, the most important thing is to be mature when you are driving it, just like herbstang and meteorachick said.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.