Mustang Evolution Forum banner

A greeting from Kentucky with need of assistance

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  CodySchraad 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Geez, when you think you know just about all you need to know, your father goes out and buys a 1967 mustang and ask if you can help restore it. I am once again a child with need of lots of knowledge. Myself, I am 39 years old, am a current member of the KentuckyNational Guard and I am also a Verteran of O.I.F./O.E.F. I am married, for a great 16 years and have two wonderful boys that I would give my life for. Alright enough of the musshy stuff, I appoligize.

O.K. here's where I stand, we are working on the dash. None of the guages are working. I believe I got the voltage meter working, but that I think is where the problem lies. The plug that goes into the dash panel has some how got burnt around the yellow and red wire that I believe are the main wires feeding the voltage guage. This happened before we purchased the car and they cut these two wires off of the connection block and wired directly to the guage. Well the wirring was a bit loose and sloppy so I rewired this and the guage began to work. Wow are you all tired of my rambling yet? My father seems to think, due to everything he has seen in his manuals, that this yellow wire comes from the voltage regulator and might possibly have something to do with supplying power to the other guages. See I told you I was in some serious need of help. O.K. I will stop here and see what everyone thinks. I will be greatly appreciative of any help you all can provide. Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
Test the prongs for the gauges on the back of instument cluster with it plugged in, if you are getting a hot at all the gauges then look for a bad ground. If i remember there is a seperate hot & ground for the voltage meter and the other gauges have a different hot & ground. Also your gauge wires going to the motor work off ground if you didn't know that. I've seen several guy take a hot wire from the battery and put it to the gauge wires:disgust: what ever you do don't do that! you will burn up the dash:uhh: but i hope this helps wish i could be there helping in person, i could rewire an old stang in a coulple days. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.