new here - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > New Member Introductions & Greetings

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-31-2010, 07:04 PM   #1

Region: Tennessee
new here

Hey guys and gals. Names Robert. My wife owns a 2003 v6 with the pony package. We bought it from my cousin about 2 years ago for less than trade in value just to help him out. He was the original owner so weve got all the maintanance records which was good, but at a little over 100k the thing has just went all to crap so I decided to check out some forum to try to stay ahead of the curve since we really cant afford to buy her a new car. I'll be honest, I've always hated mustangs, and being a honda owner I really have to say the build quality is pure crap on this thing but my wife loves the car so I've decided to try to mod it a little for her in an attempt to hopefully give it enough power to get out of its own way,lol. All sarcasm aside, I do like the looks of the car though. Anyway, I got a whole slew of problems with it right now that I'm hoping I can get a little help with on here so I figured I'd register and post up to let everyone know who I was and why I was here.
Liltroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2010, 08:00 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Well what's going on. There are some really knowledgeable people in here so tell us what's going on
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:23 PM   #3

Re: new here

well, where to start,lol.
1.First off a got a really loud clunk coming from the front end while backing up, pretty sure its either control arm bushings or ball joint. gonna be checking that out tomorrow weather permitting.

2.Also, my cousin lost both remotes as well as all but one key so I bought remotes but the the car wont go into "programming mode" and the dealerwant $75 an hour to figure out why.

3.Battery light has been coming on and off for over a year and a half now but charging system is working fine so dont know what thats all about.
transmission seems delayed in shifting sometimes like it cant decide it wants to upshift or something.

4.Full throttle from a stop results in a huge bog then a less than exciting take off(Im assuming its just the weak v6) but I think with 190hp it should at least feel somewhat "peppy" and at least be able to keep up with my brothers bone stock, 130hp civic lx! Which by the way pulls away from this thing easily.

5. the car sometimes fells "jerky" while accelerating. I've given it a full tuneup, plugs wires, new coil pack,fuel filter, air filter,pcv valve, the works and it still does it . No CEL and my scanner doesnt pull any codes so dont know whats up with that.

There are plenty of other "little" things as well but I'll leave it there for now. Keep in mind that this vehicle was VERY well maintained by the dealer until I bought it(cousin is a rich kid) and was NEVER dogged on which is the reason for the whole build quality comment in my earlier post since this thing only has 118k on it. I have a two year automotive degree and was also a mechanic in the army so I'm pretty good at trouble shooting but I do need help from time to time and having usually only driven hondas, I'm really not used to having to deal with this many problems until well past the 200k mark...especially on a vehicle that has been so well taken care of. Like I said, wife really loves this car so I'd like to keep it alive and well as long as possible....or at least until I can afford to trade it in on something else.
Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2010, 08:29 PM   #4

well, where to start,lol.
1.First off a got a really loud clunk coming from the front end while backing up, pretty sure its either control arm bushings or ball joint. gonna be checking that out tomorrow weather permitting.

2.Also, my cousin lost both remotes as well as all but one key so I bought remotes but the the car wont go into "programming mode" and the dealerwant $75 an hour to figure out why.

3.Battery light has been coming on and off for over a year and a half now but charging system is working fine so dont know what thats all about.
transmission seems delayed in shifting sometimes like it cant decide it wants to upshift or something.

4.Full throttle from a stop results in a huge bog then a less than exciting take off(Im assuming its just the weak v6) but I think with 190hp it should at least feel somewhat "peppy" and at least be able to keep up with my brothers bone stock, 130hp civic lx! Which by the way pulls away from this thing easily.

5. the car sometimes fells "jerky" while accelerating. I've given it a full tuneup, plugs wires, new coil pack,fuel filter, air filter,pcv valve, the works and it still does it . No CEL and my scanner doesnt pull any codes so dont know whats up with that.

There are plenty of other "little" things as well but I'll leave it there for now. Keep in mind that this vehicle was VERY well maintained by the dealer until I bought it(cousin is a rich kid) and was NEVER dogged on which is the reason for the whole build quality comment in my earlier post since this thing only has 118k on it. I have a two year automotive degree and was also a mechanic in the army so I'm pretty good at trouble shooting but I do need help from time to time and having usually only driven hondas, I'm really not used to having to deal with this many problems until well past the 200k mark...especially on a vehicle that has been so well taken care of. Like I said, wife really loves this car so I'd like to keep it alive and well as long as possible....or at least until I can afford to trade it in on something else.
Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:57 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Welcome and happy new year!

Sorry to hear about all the issues, I'm not the most knowledgeable person, but it sounds like a couple of things, MAF sensor or a cracked/unplugged line, I know you said you replaced a lot of parts, so there are a lot of new variables under there. Have you done anything with the MAF sensor?
Nasty Bite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:47 AM   #6
A.K.A. Baby-D!

Region: Louisiana
Welcome! Sorry to hear that you are having poor luck with the mustang. There are plenty of very knowledgeable guys here that can help you out. Create a thread in the V6 mustang forum with your issues and I'm sure you will get some good replies. Good luck!
Previous:
2004 V6--my first pony
1988 GT--July 2010 MOTM
04TRV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #7

well, after inspecting the front end I found out the control arm bushings are completely shot along with the tie rod ends. ball joints look ok but since I'm gonna have everything torn apart I'm gonna go ahead and replace everything. Just bought new inner and outter tierods, ball joints, energy suspension poly control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, and endlinks. was gonna go ahead and get the poly rack and pinion bushings but non of the performance shops had them in stock so guess I'll wait on that. Looks like I'll be tearing the front end apart next weekend.Hopefully that'll take care of all the clunks and rattles in the front anyway.
Nasty Bite, I've been over all the vacuum lines, but if it was the maf sensor, wouldnt I be throwing a code?
Old 01-07-2011, 07:19 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Send a message via Yahoo to Loraco
Welcome!
Old 01-07-2011, 08:28 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

welcome, sounds like the car has not been taken care of very well. At 100k its about time to start doing a few things, you can do some here and there as its far cheaper to work on a mustang and you can do your own work when compared to a honda that when it does break its far more expensive to mess with.

I would highly consider a new fuel filter, easily do able by yourself in little time. They are about 15 bucks. They should be changed every 15k miles at least.

Change the trans fluid, I am sure it needs it

Change the coolant when you get a chance as well

Check the spark plugs, buy OEM ford and double check gap (cant remember what it should be off hand) and if you have any missing/hesitation that happens now and again it could be the coil packs as they have 100k on them probably. Plug wires if you are going to do the coil is not a bad idea, once again all OEM works fine.

Run some seafoam though the car in gas, oil, and vacuum lines to help clean her out. Then do some sort of injection cleaner as well on a half tank of gas to help amplify it.

Inspect the belt and you can have the alternator tested or battery to see if both are within tolerance.

The clunk is only in reverse? There isnt much in the suspension in the front of the car that would only make a clunk in reverse, it could be the driveshaft clunking as it goes into drive (RWD vs FWD)~ being an auto some auto (not just mustangs) can do this, but its best to get it double checked to ensure all is well.

The good news is anything that goes wrong almost always when it comes to the Mustang is cheap to fix, parts are everywhere, and you can work on the car yourself to save a ton and we can help with where to buy to how to do it.

tousleyfordparts.com for OEM new parts at great prices, also a pull a part junk yard can help for even cheaper part prices
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:07 PM   #10

As mentioned in my above posts, all these things have already been done in the last few months and the car has been EXTREMEMLY well taken care of, and maintanance was NEVER neglected...regular fluid changes, fuel filter has been replaced 6 times before I recently changed it according to maintanance records. and transmission fluid as well as rear end has been changed twice. I would understand these problems coming from a neglected vehicle but this one being so well taken care of is the reason for my dissapointment. As far as being cheaper and easier to work on than a honda....I've gotta tell you everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, I've replaced on this car so far has cost more and been a bigger pita to replace than on my honda right down to the tie rod ends and even the air filter! I've already checked prices on the alternater and thats about $25 dollars higher as well. Driveshaft is definately not the problem as the clunk is coming from the front end and doesnt not do it immediately after putting th car in gear but upon letting it roll back. I'm off work next weekend so weather permitting, I'm hoping to be able to get all these front end parts replaced but from what I've been reading on other forums the intermediate clunking front end is pretty common on these vehicles and causes have been traced back from everything from hood alignment, to skipped spotwelds from the assembly line causing firewalls to buckle and pop. I'm really hoping it doesnt turn out to be the latter as that would be a bit beyond my current skillset to fix.
Like I stated earlier, I really love the looks of this car and my wife always wanted a mustang so even though I've always been a camara guy, I bought it for her. I guess we just got a lemon.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:37 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

yea lemons are out there in any type of car, I have owned three mustangs and never had any issues out of any of them over the last 12 years other than a clutch issue that was fixed under warranty on my second car.

Sorry for all your troubles it no doubts ruins the car experience
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:56 PM   #12

This is actually my 2nd bad experience with them, although I'll admit my first was my fault. As I said, I've always been a camaro fan(owned 7 total) and the town I grew up in was a big mustang town. We used to race every friday night after work. Well I got tired of all the excuses and crying about how I had a 5.7 liter so just to shut people up I bought an 87gt from a friend of mine. never drove it except every other friday night and every other friday night something broke! In the 6 months I had that car I upgraded every part in the drivetrain...trans gave out the first night of racing so in went a tremec, couple seeks later the rear end went out so in went richmond 355 gears and a new locker, then the clutch went right after that, then the clutch quadrant stripped out cause it couldnt handle the king cobra pressure plate so i put it a bbk aluminum quadrant, and on and on. Luckily I was single and making really good money back then cause I put about $4,000 into that car in 6 months! finally sold it for $4000(a huge loss), and went out and bought an older vette. Swore I'd never drive another mustang yet here I am 15 years later with one,lol. Only this time its not being hot rodded at all and still falling apart. I dont make the money I used to so I hope I'm not in for another ride like the last one,lol. Anyway, I'm sure I'll get her all straightened out soon and I really appreciate all your help/recommendations.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > New Member Introductions & Greetings