First car, first post - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > New Member Introductions & Greetings

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-21-2011, 03:53 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
First car, first post

Hey all, I've been around on many forums lately, I was looking at the Subaru wrx for a longg time now, I'm 16 looking to buy my first car, but now I'm looking at the mustang again I didn't know that it was faster, cheaper parts, not sure on gas mileage tho.
Guys wanna help me decide on a car?
Got 8-10g and one of either
1999-2006 mustang, v6 or v8
2002-2006 Subaru wrx
1994-2002 celica gts
I think I know the answer but any reasons to back up opinions are good.
\_\
MadGatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2011, 04:10 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Everybody here is gonna say mustang. V6 will be cheaper but u will regret not getting a v8. Insurance is cheaper on the 6. Find a good deal on a v8 and save some of that money for insurance. U r gonna need it.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:15 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Other
Re: First car, first post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGatter View Post
Hey all, I've been around on many forums lately, I was looking at the Subaru wrx for a longg time now, I'm 16 looking to buy my first car, but now I'm looking at the mustang again I didn't know that it was faster, cheaper parts, not sure on gas mileage tho.
2002-2006 Subaru wrx
1994-2002 celica gts
First of all, welcome!
Sounds to me like you have your decision basically figured out, you are posting on a Mustang forum, so you know what we are going to recommend.
You have to ask yourself what your plans are for your first car. Is it just something to get you from A to B, or is it something you are going to take care of and show off? (and by showing off I don't mean doing donuts or burnouts lol, even though those are fun)
Have you driven any of the cars you are thinking about? When you buy a car for the long run, you have to be comfortable in it, and know that its going to be able to do what you want and need it to do.
I'm very brand loyal to Ford myself, so of course I'm going to say get the Mustang, but if you like something else better, go for it.
Mileage between the V6 and V8 is close enough for me to go with a V8, because obviously you don't buy a car like this for the mileage.
The WRX is a good car, but the mileage on those kinda sucks as well being AWD.
Hope this post helps you in your decision, and if you have any other questions, definitely ask, there are plenty of people here that are smarter than me to answer them!
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2011, 05:10 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to meteorachick

welcome to the site! good choice for a first car

Modified 2004 V6
meteorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:35 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93CobraGuy

First of all, welcome!
Sounds to me like you have your decision basically figured out, you are posting on a Mustang forum, so you know what we are going to recommend.
You have to ask yourself what your plans are for your first car. Is it just something to get you from A to B, or is it something you are going to take care of and show off? (and by showing off I don't mean doing donuts or burnouts lol, even though those are fun)
Have you driven any of the cars you are thinking about? When you buy a car for the long run, you have to be comfortable in it, and know that its going to be able to do what you want and need it to do.
I'm very brand loyal to Ford myself, so of course I'm going to say get the Mustang, but if you like something else better, go for it.
Mileage between the V6 and V8 is close enough for me to go with a V8, because obviously you don't buy a car like this for the mileage.
Hope this post helps you in your decision, and if you have any other questions, definitely ask, there are plenty of people here that are smarter than me to answer them!
Yea well I live in Canada is the only reason Id want a awd but ill just slap some winter tires on and i should be good. and I make good cash but don't need a v8, I live in a smaller community and just need to beat my friends Honda prelude and Acura integra in terms of speed. V6 is good enough for me and when ive got lower insurance premiums and I'm a better driver I'll get the v8. Cause I prolly will end up crashing it anyways..
\_\
Old 01-21-2011, 06:37 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteorachick
welcome to the site! good choice for a first car
Thanks man I was on the nasioc Subaru forums, those kids are pricks, think they're soo 'high class'. I read some posts here and not every nooby gets flamed and lipped for dumb questions ;p
\_\
Old 01-21-2011, 06:40 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I have a 08 GT...fun car. I make six figures and am in my thirties....insurance isn't bad for me, but it will be for you for the next 10 years. Gas is going up and up...and the GT is thirsty! Go for it...just remember that the car you have is no good if you can't afford to drive it.

With the amount of money you have for your first car, your list of possibles should be longer. Buy a V6 4x4 Jeep or 4 door SUV...much more practical and can still be hooked up...big resale market when you want to get rid of it...plus it offers many possibilities for weekend and summer adventures. Girls think jeeps are cool...

But I know you'll get the stang anyway...hard to resist...
Pete08GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:49 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete08GT
I have a 08 GT...fun car. I make six figures and am in my thirties....insurance isn't bad for me, but it will be for you for the next 10 years. Gas is going up and up...and the GT is thirsty! Go for it...just remember that the car you have is no good if you can't afford to drive it.

With the amount of money you have for your first car, your list of possibles should be longer. Buy a V6 4x4 Jeep or 4 door SUV...much more practical and can still be hooked up...big resale market when you want to get rid of it...plus it offers many possibilities for weekend and summer adventures. Girls think jeeps are cool...

But I know you'll get the stang anyway...hard to resist...
Honestly I like the looks of the bugeye wrx wayy more and if I find one for the right price I'd get it before the stang, might be because I'm Asian and I'm drawn to them lol but they're hard to Come by in Canada so this is my second but not too far option.
What SUVs do u recommend? I haven't actually looked at any
I'm gonna call ICBC for the insurance rates when they're open later. If the GT isn't that much maybe I'll look for one.
\_\
Old 01-21-2011, 09:30 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Welcome to the forum!
sno4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:13 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

ive heard many issues with the WRX and they are not cheap to work on, the celica's are ok but PAINFULLY slow.

I would aim for a 05 GT Mustang or at least a 05+ V6.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:17 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: North Carolina

I would say v8. If you want cheap insurance with the v8 pay for it out right, then get just liability insurance. We pay only $1000 a year for me (16 as well) and we asked the insurance company how much it would be if I had a v8 and they said it wouldn't be that much more than were already paying...
Old 01-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla

I bet an '05 GT would be fun.

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:30 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Send a message via Yahoo to Loraco
Mustang is the only way to go!!
Old 01-21-2011, 12:47 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:
Yea well I live in Canada is the only reason Id want a awd but ill just slap some winter tires on and i should be good. and I make good cash but don't need a v8, I live in a smaller community and just need to beat my friends Honda prelude and Acura integra in terms of speed. V6 is good enough for me and when ive got lower insurance premiums and I'm a better driver I'll get the v8. Cause I prolly will end up crashing it anyways..
Well, if you want to beat your friends, then all you need is a moped!
Seriously though, go for the V8. I got my girl an '02 GT, and she seems like she does well with it. Its got all the safety things she needs, airbag, traction control, and all that, so I feel good about her driving it.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

it always starts with "I dont need that XXX level of power" but its an addictive hobby... keep that in mind
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:03 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

WRX is gonna be pretty quick(STI far quicker). V6 stang stock isnt enough power andif u dont care about goin fast now, you will(too late for me).
I'd try for a 99-04 GT. if not that id go subaru

2004 3.9L v6
Black on black on black

MAC Cold Air Intake, 4.10 gears + T-Lok, SCT Tuner, dual H piped flowmaster super 40's
blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:18 PM   #17
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

Hi! I'm Pete and I make 6 figures.......dude.........really?
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
You must be talking about a WRX driver?
Old 01-21-2011, 04:59 PM   #19
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93CobraGuy View Post
You must be talking about a WRX driver?

I just didnt understand the importance of putting that in the first sentence of the post.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblack
WRX is gonna be pretty quick(STI far quicker). V6 stang stock isnt enough power andif u dont care about goin fast now, you will(too late for me).
I'd try for a 99-04 GT. if not that id go subaru
Yea I'm just looking for anything in my price range, if I find a nice gt then I'll go for it, is there a dif between 94-04 mustangs? Wikipedia says they're the same.
\_\
Old 01-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Quote:
I just didnt understand the importance of putting that in the first sentence of the post.
Ok, saw it now.
Good for Pete!
Old 01-21-2011, 05:08 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via Yahoo to 1ijack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93CobraGuy View Post
First of all, welcome!
First welcome to the forum 93cobra has a great point about you already making your decision. They way I got mine was just pretty crazy. They price was right and then the first time I heard that rumble and felt the gears slide into gear I was in love. I test drove many cars but this one sounded the best and also the financing option was really good.

You have to decide on what you feel comfort in. We are not you and if you are mechanically inclined then the mustang is a better deal. more room to work then the WRX or celica.

The Mustang Mafia
"Join the family, if you dare"
www.themustangmafia.com
1ijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:23 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm what about a v6. Get the better mileage and insurance but mod it to be decebtly fast? That a good idea?
\_\
Old 01-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I do like the v6, you can get some decent mods and hp from them but, a v8 would be better. You can get the most by finding a cheaper v8 that can be modded and you can learn on then turn around and move up later on as you get older.

It is the way I would go, but you will find that your first will even be special to you.

The Mustang Mafia
www.themustangmafia.com
Old 01-21-2011, 06:08 PM   #25
Regular
Supporter

decebtly <<<<< Wha?
Old 01-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
I meant that the gas and insurance still seem expensive...so for a kid it would be hard to afford...c'mon "dude." Just giving my thoughts...
Old 01-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Well yes insurance is a huge player and gas too, but for some like me it was a concern of little interest and I enjoy that much better.

The Mustang Mafia
www.themustangmafia.com
Old 01-21-2011, 07:10 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGatter

Honestly I like the looks of the bugeye wrx wayy more and if I find one for the right price I'd get it before the stang, might be because I'm Asian and I'm drawn to them lol but they're hard to Come by in Canada so this is my second but not too far option.
What SUVs do u recommend? I haven't actually looked at any
I'm gonna call ICBC for the insurance rates when they're open later. If the GT isn't that much maybe I'll look for one.
Jeep Wranglers are good. You can meet some cool people in the off road crowd also...and make money pulling sports cars out of ditches. Totally different than what you are looking for, but in the long run you could keep the 4x4 for the winter and the sports car for the summer.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Quote:
2002-2006 Subaru wrx
1994-2002 celica gts
mustang gt ,no doubt
06mustangmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:48 PM   #30
Regular
Supporter

If you can't afford it don't put yourself in a bind.Remember,you gotta start somewhere and good things come to those that wait.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:14 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
If you can't afford it don't put yourself in a bind.Remember,you gotta start somewhere and good things come to those that wait.
Will a v6 beat a BMW 323? What about a nicely modded v6? What about a v8?
\_\
Old 01-21-2011, 11:19 PM   #32
Road Trip!

BMW makes a great product. Problem is repairs on it or the Subaru will cost you a lot and not all shops will work on them either. Go drive a v6 stang and a gt. That will make up your mind for you.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:37 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra
BMW makes a great product. Problem is repairs on it or the Subaru will cost you a lot and not all shops will work on them either. Go drive a v6 stang and a gt. That will make up your mind for you.
I mean in a race. That's the fastest car one of my buddies has
\_\
Old 01-22-2011, 01:03 AM   #34
Road Trip!

Gt will beat him. Good luck with a 6.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:43 AM   #35
Road Trip!

Quote:
Good advice!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > New Member Introductions & Greetings