Is this the section for confession? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > New Member Introductions & Greetings

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #1

Region: Washington
Is this the section for confession?

My confession is that I don't actually own a Mustang... well, I guess that's not entirely true. I might own a Mustang, it's just too early to tell. You see when I was a Junior in High School (about the time that Chicago was the most popular band in the land) my Dad brought home this very forlorn 66 Mustang convertible. It was painted like a coast guard cutter (you think I'm creative enough to make up stuff like this?) and it had a pronounced sideswipe dent all the way down the passenger, I mean, starboard side. Being the motor head that I am the first thing I did was to open the hood and the news wasn't good - it had that worthless 166 ci boat anchor with the intake/exhaust all cast together. And yet, it WAS a MUSTANG!!!!!!!! And I figured it would almost sound like a V8 with one of those miracle exhaust cutout gadgets from JC Whitney - hey the the Whit wouldn't lie to me right? That thing will almost double my horsepower, raise fuel economy so high that I'll be MAKING gas (come to think of it I've got that covered) and I'll be dating the cutest gal in the school (girls weren't "Hot" back then... cold certainly but not hot).

Anyway, my Dad and I spent at least a year pounding out the dents, replacing the rag (it was in rags) top, and welding in that exhaust cutout (you thought I was kidding?) complete with faux dual exhaust. The sad part of the story is that when I went off to college, the two younger brothers weren't very careful with it and fast forward about 30 years, it's rusting in my Dad's shop 500 miles away. He told me that when he passes away I can have it and the two brothers aren't going to fight me because it might not be restorable. And even if it were, I'm probably not. What I mean is that in the last 24 years I've had somewhere between 30 and 40 surgical procedures on my back and I don't think I'm up to a full restoration project. And if I've learned anything since that Mustand resto, it's infinitely cheaper to let someone else restore it and write a check. And I've been blessed to able to do that but... for a lot less I can have an 05 -09 Mustang that is faster, quieter, more comfortable and handles far better. Yes it may not be the classic that the 66 is but I don't think a six cylinder is ever going to command a big price.

So... cyber friends, that's why I'm here - time to let the mid life+ (lack of) crisis blossom and give in to Mustang fever. And it's got to be an 05 - 09 for me - when the pictures of the 05 Mustang came out I said right out loud, "Finally... finally after all these years they finally made one that does justice to the classic lines of the vintage Mustangs." I haven't like anything Ford has done to the Mustang since 1970 (apologies to all who love anything from 71-2004) and they ruined it AGAIN after 2009.

My intention is to learn all I can from this forum and then go shopping. One question in particular that I'll be searching is how much hp/torqs can you get from a NA 4.6 liter. I'd be very interested in reading input from guys that are living day to day with the Edelbrock supercharger.

Thanks for the forum and the free registration.
Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Re: Is this the section for confession?

Welcome aboard! First off I would say that I would love to have that ol pony if I were in your shoes for the simple fact of where it came from and the memories that are all wrapped up in. You could always pull the 6 out and throw in a crate motor to satisfy your need for speed. I would think that after seeing that old car come back to life it would be well worth the effort.

Now that S197 with the 4.6 is a nice car also and if you slap a blower on it you can have yourself a instant 450hp to the wheels without sacrificing the comfort level.Whatever you decide......Good Luck.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Whats wrong with the 2010+ stangs? Theres not much of a difference between them and the 2005-2009 stangs...
sno4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

If your looking for power then you need to start with the 2011+. The 5.0 is going to be alot more powerful with alot more potential than the 05-10 4.6L powerplant.

Welcome.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Welcome! I've always wanted to get and retore a 65-66 Stang The 4.6's are very nice to drive for sure, my dad's taken me for plenty of rides in it
Old 03-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I would love a 66 to restore, would be awesome
I dont care much for the 2010+ either
That back end kills me...yuck
No offense Sno

But I would say the 5.0 would be better for the power but I would also kill for the 4.6 since I just have a 3.8

Adrian
2001 Mustang

--AM CAI, BBK Headers, Dual exhaust, Billet grille, hood and side scoops, Sequential tail lights,
AM Headlight covers, Fog lights, Chin spoiler, H&R Lowering Springs, KYB Shocks and Struts

January 2012 StangAlley ROTM
Camo1967Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:36 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo1967Mustang

I would love a 66 to restore, would be awesome
I dont care much for the 2010+ either
That back end kills me...yuck
No offense Sno

But I would say the 5.0 would be better for the power but I would also kill for the 4.6 since I just have a 3.8
Old 03-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sno4life

I'm sorry Sno

Adrian
2001 Mustang

--AM CAI, BBK Headers, Dual exhaust, Billet grille, hood and side scoops, Sequential tail lights,
AM Headlight covers, Fog lights, Chin spoiler, H&R Lowering Springs, KYB Shocks and Struts

January 2012 StangAlley ROTM
Camo1967Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo1967Mustang

I'm sorry Sno
Old 03-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via Yahoo to 1ijack

I know that you might not like what Ford put out from 1970-2004 but, some very nice cars came from those years. 03-04 Cobra, Mach1, and the Fox body which set the standard for the new styles S197, and the new coyotes. I own a 99 GT and I thought it was a true change for the better it brought classic styling to modern power packages. The horizontal taillights, honeycomb grill, and a powerplant that would last until 2010, that lead the way to the 412hp coyote motor.

I am not busting your chops here, we all have our own opinions and views. As for your 66 you have many memories and you should be proud to have the memories from those moments. I would fix it up take the time put a new powerplant in it and enjoy it. Make it a driving memorial to the times that you had. Whatever your decision is enjoy it and make memories that is sometimes more important then the possessions we own.

The Mustang Mafia
"Join the family, if you dare"
www.themustangmafia.com
1ijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
My opinion is the 94-98 is best looking as I have had 3 this body style
Albaraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Vermont

Just remember once the 66 is gone it's not coming back! I say start the 66 resto slow and buy the newer Stang of your choice.

02 GT 5 spd. Best 1/4 12.28 @ 112mph
67mustang97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > New Member Introductions & Greetings