My first Mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > New Member Introductions & Greetings

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-16-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

My first Mustang

Good day everyone.

I purchased a 2006 Mustang GT with minimal knowledge of the vehicle other than it's an American icon muscle car and my dream car for years. It's my first! In the last month, I have been gradually learning about the history of the Mustang.

I am looking forward to learn more from other's experiences and from those who know their Mustangs. I'm no mechanic, but handy with tools and a quick learner.

My 06 appears to be stock with the exception of the exhaust pipes. It has 47k miles, originated in CA, and made it's way to FL where I purchased the vehicle. I'm in Orlando.

My friend (a good buddy of mine who has always had Mustangs and has been winning King of the Streets - 10 undefeated) referred me to a local shop called Lamotta Performance and I have an appointment in a week to have the car fully inspected. Unfortunately, my friend lives in Pensacola. I'm looking forward to next time he visits Orlando so that he can give me some additional pointers.

My first question to all of you is; what questions should I be asking when visiting the mechanic for the first time. The first goal would be to ensure my car is running it's best and, of course, what to modify first?

I want to thank everyone in advance for their input and allowing me to be a part of the forum.

Best regards,
RP
bluefirstgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefirstgt
Good day everyone.

I purchased a 2006 Mustang GT with minimal knowledge of the vehicle other than it's an American icon muscle car and my dream car for years. It's my first! In the last month, I have been gradually learning about the history of the Mustang.

I am looking forward to learn more from other's experiences and from those who know their Mustangs. I'm no mechanic, but handy with tools and a quick learner.

My 06 appears to be stock with the exception of the exhaust pipes. It has 47k miles, originated in CA, and made it's way to FL where I purchased the vehicle. I'm in Orlando.

My friend (a good buddy of mine who has always had Mustangs and has been winning King of the Streets - 10 undefeated) referred me to a local shop called Lamotta Performance and I have an appointment in a week to have the car fully inspected. Unfortunately, my friend lives in Pensacola. I'm looking forward to next time he visits Orlando so that he can give me some additional pointers.

My first question to all of you is; what questions should I be asking when visiting the mechanic for the first time. The first goal would be to ensure my car is running it's best and, of course, what to modify first?

I want to thank everyone in advance for their input and allowing me to be a part of the forum.

Best regards,
RP
Welcome to the forums! Smokey where you are? Lol
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: My first Mustang

welcome! you can learn tons and there are many things you can do yourself. For finding a shop be VERY VERY CAREFUL you want to take it to someone that has a good reputation and knows how to treat their customers... many find out to late (after they go to pick the car up or after its dropped off etc) that they got ripped off so ask around, do your homework and find somewhere you can trust.

the 05+ have know spark plug issues (they break when removing them) .... if you let Ford do it and they break they make you pay a TON to fix it even though they broke them just FYI. Yours may or may not have been changed and you may or may not have an issue if they have not been just something to research and talk to the shop about. I would change them to remove the worry.

fuel filter, change every year if you daily drive at least every 15k miles, very overlooked!

clean the maf filter if you have an aftermarket in take (oil gets on it)

change transmission fluid, probably good to do so every 50k on manual car, every 15k on automatic (change filter if auto)

rear end fluid is fine for 100k usually

coolant should be changed at least every 5 years, fully drained/filled not just radiator drained
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
welcome man congrads on the purchase I'm from the mobile Pensacola area so you have a couple reputable mustangs shops around your area xxx in Pensacola, running with the devil in mobile, and jms over in lucedale, ms
1999 Cobra black with medium parchment interiorJLT CAI, RWR motorsports tune, Pacesetter Longtubes, o/r xpipe w/cutouts, Flowmaster Super 44s, built t56, Kevlar clutch, Nitto NT05R, Ford Racing 4.10 gears, MMR 900 rotating assembly, vortech v3 si, twin aeromotive 340s, aeroquip lines, 80lbs injectors
Black99Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #5

Region: New York

Great car.. good luck with it

02 GT ~ Sold
04 MACH 1 ~ Current
Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

RP, welcome to Mustang Evolution!

MOTM winner May 2015 "Best mods Mustang". Please View my Garage for complete details on modifications.
Scott2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:03 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

Welcome and you came to the right place for answers there are a lot of people on thius site that are helpful , and this is a very active site the best I have found.
wereKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:27 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the great tips SpectorV. I believe there's a major service recommended at around 55k. I was thinking about completing this service early and will include your recommendations as part of my first trip to the shop.

Yes, very smokey with all the wild fires in the area. My thoughts go out to those in danger.

Appreciate the warm welcome and advice!
RP
Old 06-16-2011, 11:32 AM   #9
mrc
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

Welcome. Great to have another central florida member!
Old 06-16-2011, 01:31 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

list all the items it says to do for 50k check up and we can go over them one by one
Old 06-17-2011, 12:23 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
list all the items it says to do for 50k check up and we can go over them one by one
I won't be able to take a look at the actual manuel until Saturday for the 50k, but I did locate details online for the 60k service. Perhaps my thought was to go ahead with the 60k because I purchased the vehicle used and searching for piece of mind by having these items completed. "Better safe than sorry."

FYI: I have manual transmission.

Service due at 60,000 Miles
Action: Description
Replace Spark plugs
Inspect Exhaust system
Replace Air filter element
Change fluid and filter/screen Automatic transmission/transaxle
Inspect Brake system
Replace Fuel filter
Inspect Cooling system hoses
Inspect Steering system
Inspect Suspension
Inspect Wheel bearings
Replace Cabin air filter
Replace Crankcase Oil Filter
Rotate Wheels & tires
Change fluid Crankcase
Old 06-17-2011, 12:39 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Knight F Mohawk

Welcome, post up some pics of the car!

-Will
Old 06-17-2011, 07:41 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Here you go. A picture from the day of purchase. I'll post some new pictures once I have the opportunity to clean and detail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3506376246.png
Views:	76
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	27989  
Old 06-17-2011, 08:19 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Service due at 60,000 Miles
Action: Description
Replace Spark plugs - YES but be warned if they break... you will pay dearly
Inspect Exhaust system - sure... not really sure why but easy enough
Replace Air filter element - if dirty yup replace it with a cheap one
Change fluid and filter/screen Automatic transmission/transaxle - yup, but rear end (transaxle can wait if you want)
Inspect Brake system - probably good to just change it, they say every 5 years you need to flush brake fluid.
Replace Fuel filter - big YES
Inspect Cooling system hoses - easy enough, also drain/fill coolant for sure
Inspect Steering system - yup
Inspect Suspension - inspect sure dont let them charge you for spending 1 min looking
Inspect Wheel bearings - you can hear that and would know already
Replace Cabin air filter - yea
Replace Crankcase Oil Filter - yup
Rotate Wheels & tires - rotate and inspect for bad wear, align if noticed
Change fluid Crankcase - sure

on those "inspect" items I highly doubt they really inspect anything, at least nothing more than a glance or tap.. so dont pay for that.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:45 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks again for the great advice SpectorV. I'll keep posting updates and/or if any other recommendations are made by the mechanic.

I took the family to a beach vacation and am heading home today. I left the mustang tucked away nicely in the garage. I can't wait to go for a drive this weekend!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > New Member Introductions & Greetings