new here and really want an exhaust kit!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > New Member Introductions & Greetings

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-27-2007, 09:51 PM   #1

new here and really want an exhaust kit!!!

Hey guys.. I am new here and I just got a 02 v6 mustang, I have been looking at exhaust systems on youtube and I really want one. I think i want flowmaster but I really have no idea how to put a exhaust system together. I just want a really loud and deep and mean exhaust.

Thanks guys.. help me out..
liljewell1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2007, 09:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Re: new here and really want an exhaust kit!!!

Thats really not possible wit a V6, trust me i tried, hell i have true duals wit lil glasspacks and it still dont sound as sweet as V8s
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:05 PM   #3

i dont really care if it sounds like a v8 but i just want that kind of muscle car sound u know... i look on you tube all the time and people with flowmaster 40 series sound pretty nice for v6. I just want it to sound a lil muscular and deep.
liljewell1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2007, 03:39 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude

I have a V6 that shakes the concrete, roars when I stomp the throttle like old school muscle car and idles like a demented Harley. Will it sound like a V8. Who cares. I have a kid down the street with a 2001 Ram Air Trans Am and he thinks my car is wicked and he has SLP's. It is all about the right sound and what you want. Do you want to wake the dead or do you want bad *** sound. They are different. The best approach is first check people's sound clips or better yet go listen to some V6's with exhaust.

I cant tell you how many times I have pulled into a gas station and had people complement the sound of my car and then ask if it is a 5.0. without looking closely at my 3.8 emblems which from a distance people assume are 5.0 emblems. I had a guy is a camaro about 2 weeks ago actually come up to me and ask if he could take pictures and make a s ound clip to send to a friend.

I did not go kit. I went to a local muffler shop and told them what I wanted. It is getting tougher and tougher to find shop to do custom work especiallyb if you want to delete the cats, which I dont recommend. I would suggest just having them cut out the y tube and and to exhaust pipes, the Mufflers of your choice, and 2 tail pipes. You will also get the advantage of them being welded and not bolted together.

As for mufflers the loudness and note you want is the most important decision to make. but there are a lot of good choices. Over the last few years I have come to realize every major muffler company has a product worth listening to and some will save you loads of money. The top names like Borla, Flowmaster, Dynomax, Magnaflow, Bassani, MAC, Hooker, Thrush, Holley and many more make mufflers that are Flow Thru, Chambered and Turbo style. Turbo and Chambered create baffles or bent tubing inside the muffler housing to create a slight restriction in the exhaust pulse which in turns causes a sound deflection or druming effect inside the muffler case creating a deeper sound. The draw back is more noise inside the car transmitted by the muffler through the floorboard. This is not even a problem for some and what some people call drone is harsh to others. Some drone worse than others. The other issue is if you are building for speed there chambered or baffled mufflers can be restrictive but for general street use it would not even be noticed. Flow thru mufflers are exactly what they say, there ios no restrictions to the exhaust passing through the muffler. Flow thru muflers are basically glass packs like cherry bombs with a standard looking muffler case surrounding it. They dont drone or resonate through the floorboard as much and on a stock engine they are not typically as aggressive sounding at idle but wake up when you stomp on the pedal. They dont restirct the exhaust flow.

I have a sound clip somewhere around here.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:52 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh

Basically if you want good sound look for chambered or turbo mufflers. If you want loud annoying way to high pitched sound, go for a straight thru muffler. Like glasspacks.

My theory is, have the exhaust piping step up in size as it gets towards the rear of the car(2" into muffler 2-1/2" out of muffler 3" tips), chambered mufflers, keep the cats, and polish dem tips.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:42 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via MSN to ChrissyStang02 Send a message via Yahoo to ChrissyStang02

Magnaflow Catback Exhaust System! I have a 02 GT and looove my exhaust. I get a lot of compliments on it. If you want it to sound deep...get the Mangapacks...and maybe an off road x pipe like I'm getting when I swap out my stock h pipe...

If you really want it loud...check into Borla Stingers like PureVenom & Spector have on their Cobras, but you would have to check with them on set up. Borlas sound better than Bassani in my opinion, but a lot of people like Bassani too, just depends what you're looking for. There are a lot of Mustangs here with awesome sounding exhaust systems. Different people are into different things and there are a ton of options out there.

I love my MangaFlows though. I'm so happy I went with them!

2002 Mineral Gray Mustang GT ~Dominic~
MagnaFlow Catback Exhaust, CAI, Mach 1 Grille Delete and much more to come. ***Sold. New 5.0 GT coming soon!!!
ChrissyStang02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:55 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to meteorachick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Dude View Post
I have a V6 that shakes the concrete, roars when I stomp the throttle like old school muscle car and idles like a demented Harley.
i have heard it in person, you could swear his was a v8 from the sound

personally, i'm going with side exhaust, love the look, and love the sound

Modified 2004 V6
meteorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:18 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

you can make a v6 sound good at idle but thats about all you can do. They dont sound bad, but they will never sound like a v8 will~ and of course what sounds good is all opinion so listen around and decide on what you like.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > New Member Introductions & Greetings

Tags
exhaust