Hey all. I am relatively new to this whole “mustang thing” (last one I had was 15-20 years ago) so I don’t know as much about them as many of you (although I do know more about cars in general than the average person having worked in the industry for quite a while). Over the next few months I will be continue to do my research. In the mean time, I was wondering if I could get some opinions for the experts (you guys).
Spring 08, I am looking to purchase a 5-speed 94-99 GT. My goal is to have/build a nice, fast, relatively reliable summer car that I will use specifically for fun (I have another daily driver).
Have a relatively reliable, functioning, “fun”, fast 1994 to 1999 mustang
, driven only in the nice & warm weather, for under a budget of $10K-$15K. I’m not a DYNO queen. I care more about drivability & fun than who has the most HP/TORQUE
That said, here are some questions I have had initially:
1) For between $10-$15K, would I be better off a) getting a GT & adding forced induction, b) buying a GT with forced induction already installed, or c) simply buying a Cobra & going from there?
2) What are things (problem areas) to look for on GTs or Cobras that are 10+ years old (suspension problems, tranny problems, leaking seals, areas that are prone to rusting, etc)?
3) If I go GT & add forced induction, which is better, turbo or SC’d (keep in mind my above goal)
4) If I go SC, what system/supplier is best? Whipple, KB, Vortex…?
5) At what HP range should I expect to start reinforcing up the block/tranny/rear end? 400HP, 500HP…?
6) What are some good/necessary mods to have before adding any forced induction (TB, manifold, rear end gears, etc)?
7) What mods would be good if I didn’t go any type of forced induction? What NA mods do these cars respond well to?
If this is the incorrcet place to post this, please let me know so I can move it