Mustang for Fuel Efficiency- Ohio 2012 3.7 to RS - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > New Member Introductions & Greetings

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Mustang for Fuel Efficiency- Ohio 2012 3.7 to RS

Hey guys, I have been on here viewing for almost a year, and finally got around to joining.

So, I am not quite the usual performance car guy. I vastly prefer aerodynamics over power. Lowering drag, which enhances FE and performance. My most recent tank was 34.0 mpg, and my current goal is 600 miles on a tank. 500 is no problem, 600 will be done before the end of summer 2013. I mostly do city driving, the highway always kills my mileage. Street average is 40+ mpg, but lots of things ruin my tanks. I often become, over zealous, with the throttle.

I live in Ohio, Ford family, but not Ford biased. A good vehicle is a good vehicle, regardless of company. I work in law enforcement, and am married- closer to twenty than thirty.

Now the fun part-
2012 Mustang 3.7/Manual
Tape stripe and spoiler, tape stripe delete

Black exterior, black interior.

Modifications,
Roush front fascia, GT grille, Roush front air splitter, Roush lower grill block, 2013 GT wheel/rims, Roush side splitter, Roush axle back exhuast, GT faux gas cap, scanguage, black leather package.

Parts waiting for install,
GT/CS rear diffuser, 3.7 badges, Roush CAI.

Next summer,
Full underbody

Thanks for checking this out, and I look forward to joining the conversations here! You can see all of my automotive stuff, mods, tanks, mpgs, so on, on the other forum I use.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/member-ultarc.html

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc
Hey guys, I have been on here viewing for almost a year, and finally got around to joining.

So, I am not quite the usual performance car guy. I vastly prefer aerodynamics over power. Lowering drag, which enhances FE and performance. My most recent tank was 34.0 mpg, and my current goal is 600 miles on a tank. 500 is no problem, 600 will be done before the end of summer 2013. I mostly do city driving, the highway always kills my mileage. Street average is 40+ mpg, but lots of things ruin my tanks. I often become, over zealous, with the throttle.

I live in Ohio, Ford family, but not Ford biased. A good vehicle is a good vehicle, regardless of company. I work in law enforcement, and am married- closer to twenty than thirty.

Now the fun part-
2012 Mustang 3.7/Manual
Tape stripe and spoiler, tape stripe delete

Black exterior, black interior.

Modifications,
Roush front fascia, GT grille, Roush front air splitter, Roush lower grill block, 2013 GT wheel/rims, Roush side splitter, Roush axle back exhuast, GT faux gas cap, scanguage, black leather package.

Parts waiting for install,
GT/CS rear diffuser, 3.7 badges, Roush CAI.

Next summer,
Full underbody

Thanks for checking this out, and I look forward to joining the conversations here! You can see all of my automotive stuff, mods, tanks, mpgs, so on, on the other forum I use.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/member-ultarc.html
Welcome!

I think your car is the v6 twin to my 8!!!

Sounds like we both have donated a ton of money to Roush Senior!

You need some pics in your garage profile on ME!!

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcowboy

Welcome!

I think your car is the v6 twin to my 8!!!

Sounds like we both have donated a ton of money to Roush Senior!

You need some pics in your garage profile on ME!!
Yours looks good! One can see quite a bit on my other forum, but I haven't been on here to get images up. It shouldn't be too long!

I am planning oct. 8th for the last mods installed.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc

Yours looks good! One can see quite a bit on my other forum, but I haven't been on here to get images up. It shouldn't be too long!

I am planning oct. 8th for the last mods installed.
Last mods? Blasphemy!! There is no such thing. She will demand annual gifts... You made a commitment. Till death buddy!

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Re: Mustang for Fuel Efficiency- Ohio 2012 3.7 to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcowboy View Post
Last mods? Blasphemy!! There is no such thing. She will demand annual gifts... You made a commitment. Till death buddy!
+1, you are committed 'till death due you part (Hopefully that won't be anytime soon)
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:54 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4
+1, you are committed 'till death due you part (Hopefully that won't be anytime soon)
True, but for the winter time. Other than Blizzaks on my stock 17s, she will be done until she is lifted and smoothed out.

Keep in mind I am building for efficiency. Just appearance items aren't my thing TOO much.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121018_132342.png
Views:	242
Size:	375.6 KB
ID:	72664

Name:	ForumRunner_20121018_132401.png
Views:	245
Size:	440.8 KB
ID:	72665

This is before and after on my air dam. It is mostly temporary, come the election I think the underbody is going to start. Upper grille block is still on, but coming off soon because it looks terrible.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Over a year since my last post on my thread. I have really come a long way in that time, and I know people are going to say WTF when they read 40/46 city/highway in a 305 hp Mustang (I doubt my CAI or AB do much for hp).

To be clear on my numbers.
As of this posting, she is doing limited driving. I bought a second car, 2000 Honda Insight so I can do terrible, rediculous things to it, and save my 6 year 100k warranty on her. [On the Insight I] Shaved the mirrors, boattail, and more. So, in this season of lower BTU fuel, denser air, colder roads, longer engine & tire warming times, she is getting limited miles on her.

Her (the Mustang) now has a lifetime fuel economy of 34.28 miles per gallon. This does not include free tanks. I have had two, given to me by my dealer. When they fill it up, they don't tell me how much they put in. Also, they may not fill like I do. I fill at night because petrol is more dense, and the units measure by volume, not mass, and I do not always use the same pump, but I use the same method to fill. I use the very lowest filling setting (so less fuel vaporizes, and I spend money on fumes going into the air, and I always let it auto shut off. The only time I refill after auto shut off if if there is a misread by the pump. This has only occurred once, and it was in the Insight. I went some 700 miles and it clicked at 1.x gallons- it's not that fuel efficient lol. Now with the dealer, I immediately fill it to the appropriate level, and start over. I am now in the habit of filling up before I take her in. This 34.28 mpg started in late May of last year, and has included 24,310.4 miles, using 709.22 gallons of fuel, costing me 2,425.61 USD. I've used 395.8 gallons less than what the EPA thinks it should do.

My average tank distance is 467.5 miles, which is lower because when I first got it, I was not really draining the tank much, rather filling at half ish or at the best price. My usual is about 500 miles on a tank, my record is 643.008 miles on a tank- that's over 1,000 kilometers! I actually only used 15.368 gallons for it, so I should have had another 40-100 miles left, if I went to totally dry empty.

Just off of fuel use, my cost per mile is $0.10.

This is my fuel log, and has every tank on it, bar missing two over the year plus. 2012 Ford Mustang 3.7 Gas Mileage (2012 Mustang 3.7/M) - EcoModder.com

My fuel economy jumps in late April, between FINISHING my kill switch which led to me using it much more (a mounted switch next to the gear lever is much more useful than two wires to a switch flopping around the car), Summer Fuel (higher BTU) was in, and the air was heating up here.

My last three tanks have been 41.33 mpg, my city average moves from 38-42. My highway record is 46.37 mpg. What really makes me mad, in retrospect, is my driving in tunnels. There were two (coming through PA), and I used my Roush AB like I was a 16 year old w/ a brand new toy. I wrote it down in a log somewhere, but my in car gauge mpg was something like 46, and dropped to 42ish, if I remember correctly. So at 200 miles, I can't even begin to calculate how much damage I really did.

Some background on my modifications after my most recent post.

Cold Air Induction, GT/CS Rear Valance-2012/10/05; This proved a decrease in fuel economy. It is definitely because of the CAI. The rear diffused may have hurt it if it caught more air underneath it. At this time, there was no belly pan.

Air dam & Upper Grille Block-2012/10/18; Definite increase in FE, and warm up time. Also, protects the radiator and grille. I notice little dings and dents on my block, and also notice my radiator is near flawless. A fringe benefit.

Antenna Delete-2013/01/06; No noticed benefit. Radio worked great without the antenna, so it wasn't an issue. This is one of those little things that can make such a tiny difference. Like keeping the junk out of my car. I have my emergency bags in the car at all times, but if I went to the drag strip, I would take it out. It's something little that makes no difference in daily function, but does make a hair of difference over a lifetime of driving with it. Would I pay $15 for it? No. Is it worth a screw, a washer, and a little plasti dip? Yepp.

UltraGuage Install-2013/02/23; In addition to my SGii. I use this for watching certain engine stats, HP, load, Torque, coolant temperature, unadjusted MPH, so on. Since I use my SGii for immediate stats, the UG makes less of an immediate impact than adding an instrument to a setup without any real monitors.

Kill Switch Install-2013/03/17; Allows me to clutch in, kill engine, and then bump start when engine needs to be on. I occasionally kill it for stop lights, but the simple rule of thumb is 30 seconds idling equals turning the engine on (and engine kicking up). I time my lights, so 9/10 times I will kill my engine to the light, bump start as I am rolling through and accelerate back to speed. No brake used, no fuel used to coast, and everything keeps working smoothly. It's a beautiful thing.

Premium Fuel Only-2013/04/13; Not sure why I did it. Some say it's a better quality, some say it's better for the engine. I am trying it for a year, then switching back over. I have not done testing to compare tit for tat on it.

Lower grille block-2013/05/11; OSP pulled me over for no front plate. They know me, so I got a "you should get this fixed" notice, and because I don't want to be that guy, I turned it into my lower grille block. I didn't notice it, but definitely will make a difference- would have made more of a difference if I had my full underbody done.

Swapping Single Piece Air Dam for New Two Piece-2013/06/01; This was designed to help steer more air away from the tires.

Full Underbody-2013/06/05; My last serious modification. I did three general setups, the last one being a huge success. No engine overheating, protects from salt and rocks, the only way it's visible is at the rear wheel well, where it tucks into my rear diffuser.

If you want to learn about more mods that have been proven to work, you can find my inspiration here: 65+ Vehicle modifications for better fuel economy - EcoModder.com

Some are whack a doo crazy for a Mustang, some are brilliant, discrete, and easy as heck for a great ROI. Please take it with a grain of salt. Adding a fifth electric wheel? No thanks. Making a grille block (even if for winter), that looks good? Can look as good as you want it to, or can even be hidden if you want.

So it's all mods and you just slam the throttle down like an on/off switch, right?
No. If that's how you drive, the biggest modification you can do, is you.
I started doing many of these before I knew they were being quantified by people. Here is the list made, again, grain of salt. Some lean towards whack a doo, some lean towards "holy crap, why haven't I been doing this all along..."
100+ Hypermiling / ecodriving tips & tactics for better mpg - EcoModder.com

For example:
Air pressure. Better tire wear, often better performance, and better mpg.
Accelerating to red lights. If you see a red light, why use fuel to get there, then brakes to slow down (with more suspension wear), then more fuel to speed up? Why not coast and learn to time the light?

Some people like to be first everywhere. My favorite thing in the world is to cruise (39 in a 35, usually) and have cars RACE past me. They get to that stop light and sit. I kill my engine, timing the light, and as I coast up, I bump start the engine, Roush AB crackles and pops, drop down some gears and rip the RPMs up until I get back to 39. Oh, where did you go little Honda Civic with fart can and incorrectly worn "fitted' hat that is too big for your head?

Ah, yes. You used more fuel to make your slower car use more brake and energy, and looked even more like a fool. Fuel economy can be pretty fun

Old 03-16-2014, 09:06 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Got my car prepped for the Green Grand Prix coming up!

Probably not of much interest to the general population here, but I'm not one to prejudge or stereotype, so anyone who is interested should check it out. Has a lot of new technology, and interesting builds. Like Will Smiths all electric Porsche 911, and all kinds of custom builds- a lot of people like me who just do aerodynamics and simple stuff to push their cars to the limit (not that they need it, Ford (under certain circumstances) could pull ~48 mpg.

But I did some more work on the site, and have made my log of modifications and fuel use up to date. It's not complete, and build instructions are not done yet, but here is the rough draft: Building the AeroStang « Aerostang

GGP: Welcome To The Official Green Grand Prix Web Site

Fords record under perfect circumstances, with LRR tires, an automatic (better gearing), and professional drivers: MUSTANG V-6 AVERAGES 48.5 MPG; RUNS 1,457 LAPS AT BRISTOL ON A SING ... - Press Release

And my new single piece aluminum drive shaft, and front passenger seat delete (have to have a copilot, extra ~250 lbs):

The underbody back on:
[COLOR="Silver"]

Old 03-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #10
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Arc, some both cool and amazing stuff. Those numbers you are getting make me feel like an oaf. Efficiency (sp?) is a beautiful thing.

What do you run for tires (and psi) and have you considered gutting the interior. I've thought about gutting mine but just to be more of a boy racer. I haven't cause my Love would just not understand.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:48 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I run stock 2013 GT rims/tires. I have had them since <5 miles, so I run 50 lbs in them. Since there are no signs of cracking or damage, I keep them there.

I have never even thought about it lol. I did think of the rear seat delete and cross member, but I can't bring myself to pull out the beautiful black leather interior lol. My goal has been achieved, now I am really doing it for fun- my lifetime average already exceeds my city goal lol

I do have two mods I am working on for the competition, but they will most likely not be in use regularly.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:05 PM   #12
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
"I mostly do city driving, the highway always kills my mileage. Street average is 40+ mpg..."

Impressive.

There was a thread posted some time back where a member here was removing weight to increase efficiency/MPG. I had suggested he remove as many parts as he could until the engine stopped running. Then I suggested he install the last part he removed. You would then know how far you could go with automotive weight reduction.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Lol, that might work. I'm not trying to get rid of my creature comforts, though.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #14
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
Lol, that might work. I'm not trying to get rid of my creature comforts, though.
And thats the heavy stuff. My friend's '69 firebird only weighs like 200 pounds more than my 01. His car may be all sheet metal and such but there is almost no heavy electronics, leather, power seats and such to weigh it all down.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Old 06-14-2014, 10:18 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Just rebuilt the underbody.

First of all, if you want to photograph your build, remember to take your dSLR out of the car before you lift it.

Second of all, be prepared to not take as many photos as you want when working in someone else's space. Especially if you expected one hour, and it was over three and a half.

So the rear frame was a no go. There is just too much going on back/down there for it to have worked. I am glad I did not attach it, and waited to get the best view of the conditions. I personally feel there is a higher power, and he's looking out for me- the build was accidentally perfect fitting. The frame and underbody fit just inside the pinch welds, and almost tucks completely under the car.

As mentioned, I used hose clamps to secure them. I am open to suggestions on how to rust proof these, without disabling the the unscrew feature.

I am aware of rust issues, and there are multiple security features in there. Here are the images.

Cable tie holding in place while I secure the hose clamps.

Underbody normally, and the hanging sheet below.

The sheet's center cross bar is secured to the exhaust, with a larger band on it, also, in the case the main one were to break.

Where the front panel will go- also shows attachment of the front of the panel to some solid piece of car (lol, k member/bar?)

Underbody secured.

Front panel (replace) secured.

Whole thing.

She's waiting to go...

Old 06-15-2014, 01:05 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
Just rebuilt the underbody.

First of all, if you want to photograph your build, remember to take your dSLR out of the car before you lift it.

Second of all, be prepared to not take as many photos as you want when working in someone else's space. Especially if you expected one hour, and it was over three and a half.

So the rear frame was a no go. There is just too much going on back/down there for it to have worked. I am glad I did not attach it, and waited to get the best view of the conditions. I personally feel there is a higher power, and he's looking out for me- the build was accidentally perfect fitting. The frame and underbody fit just inside the pinch welds, and almost tucks completely under the car.

As mentioned, I used hose clamps to secure them. I am open to suggestions on how to rust proof these, without disabling the the unscrew feature.

I am aware of rust issues, and there are multiple security features in there. Here are the images.

Cable tie holding in place while I secure the hose clamps.

Underbody normally, and the hanging sheet below.

The sheet's center cross bar is secured to the exhaust, with a larger band on it, also, in the case the main one were to break.

Where the front panel will go- also shows attachment of the front of the panel to some solid piece of car (lol, k member/bar?)

Underbody secured.

Front panel (replace) secured.

Whole thing.

She's waiting to go...

Ranger052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:32 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger052 View Post
What? lol

Old 06-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I've always been obsessed with using as little gas as possible but am definately not in your league. Very cool. Unfortunately all of the fuel in my area is 10% Ethanol which reduces mileage a significant amount. The Premium isn't real gas either. I will be following you.
chitownpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:00 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Man, this is dedication lol

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2014, 01:14 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I pay 4.499 for 0% ethanol, I don't mind since I am getting 42+ in the city, but it is expensive.

I am going to put blades on the underbody to guide the flow back, and when the welding is done, I am taking it to a drag strip. Hopefully I don't beat 13.99. Because then I am done until I get a helmet lol

Sent from my XT1049 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 06-15-2014, 11:33 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

You're getting about the same fuel economy on your 'stang as my parents get on their Fusion hybrid. I love how dedicated you are to your goal. I have a few questions:

1) Did you consider tuning for economy? I doubt the major tuners sell them (not enough demand, I'd imagine), but since you are so serious about this, maybe you could look into working with a knowledgeable tuner to do it yourself.

2) You mentioned the CAI hurt your mpgs, so why not go back to stock?

3) I looked up this "UltraGauge" you mentioned, I am really interested in the OBDII diagnostic tools. What do you think of it? Does it update fast enough?
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:53 PM   #22
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
You're getting about the same fuel economy on your 'stang as my parents get on their Fusion hybrid. I love how dedicated you are to your goal. I have a few questions:

1) Did you consider tuning for economy? I doubt the major tuners sell them (not enough demand, I'd imagine), but since you are so serious about this, maybe you could look into working with a knowledgeable tuner to do it yourself.

3) I looked up this "UltraGauge" you mentioned, I am really interested in the OBDII diagnostic tools. What do you think of it? Does it update fast enough?

BAMA has been developing an economy tune, a few people are running it and actually say it's very working pretty well. But since most of his driving is city he will want something good for that, which is completely different than highway.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Old 06-16-2014, 04:32 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

1. I have. I even messaged a AM person here. A complete waste of time. I wrote a long, detailed message about my questions and concerns and I got a canned BS response saying they know nothing and call some other people during my primary work hours. I was thinking just a basic tune would be fine, since most people see an improvement. I couldn't imagine a company like Lund making me a fuel economy tune...lol.

Let me tell you, I will most likely NOT be getting a Bama tuner because of this. AM talks a lot on here about how great it is, and people respond with how much it sucks. No one has empirical data- but then a blind copy and paste like this just reinforces what the people here say.

Heres the conversation:
"Hi Dan,

I have been interested in getting a tuner, but am a bit concerned about the Bama tuner. For the price of a Lund tune and a used tuner, I would be spending about the same as a Bama tuner/tune. This is why I am not sure what to do.

The Bama tuner says free tunes for life (if I decide to make another change), but others have said that costs $150 extra. The Lund would be 200 for another, which is $50 more, but I don't foresee any changes- if I do I will get them all in at the same time.

My other concern is fuel economy. That is basically all I do, except maybe going to the track now and then. How will this influence fuel economy? Right now I am averaging 42 and looking for more of an edge on it.

I run E0 fuel. I am not sure on the octane, I believe it is 89. Will this cause an issue, or is there a tune setting for it? I don't want there to be an issue with it, as it does help my FE.

I will be doing some extensive testing with it, is there any incentive on reporting rigorous testing done with it? I will be doing it for myself, but I would feel better about it if I would see return for the testing.

Not being able to return it does concern me, as then I'd be forced to resell it on my own. Buying used will let me resell for a close value, or like what I've done in the past is to buy when someone is in a bind, and sell at my convenience for a profit. Are these units permanently configured to a single vehicle or can they switch between vehicles?

Sorry for all the questions, Dan, I just find the forum valueless for actual answers.

Sincerely,
Steven"

Responded to with:
"Give the Bama team a call and they'll gladly answer any questions you may have! Our Bama Performance tuning specialists are here in the building Monday-Friday from 9AM-5:30PM EST and Saturday 9AM-5:30PM EST. You can hit them up directly at 888.226.9764 and they'll get you squared away!

-Dan"

Wow. Information overload. I should have just posted on the forum and dealt with the junk for some of the answers.

2. The sound, not getting my money back out of it, the appearance improvement, and regardless of others' experience, when I am at WOT the engine feels like there is nothing holding it back at all. With the stock box, at WOT it felt like it was being held back. I don't want to say lugging the engine, but outside of an old job in Cleveland there was a huge hill going into Steelyard commons. Before the CAI, WOT up that hill (low gear) felt like it was breathing through a straw. After, it felt like it was breathing how it was supposed to. And I would have swapped it back for the GGP (easy 50+) but I sold all of my Mustang parts when I moved.

3. I love the UG, but it is not very interactive. My SGii is great for testing and working with. It mounts well, and is easy to use. The UG is great because of multiple screen set ups, and price, but it is hard to use on the fly. The UG has three buttons. Up, Down, Menu. The SGii had five, and it is much more intuitive for me. I like having both, if I had to do it again knowing what I know now, I merely would have bought them in a different order. It updates fast enough for me- three times a second, I believe is the rate. For drag racing? NOPE.

Looking forward to my data logger coming in, though it's refresh rate is the same. I think all OBDii has a maximum speed of 1/3 of a second.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:51 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Wow, thanks for the detailed and very well-written response. I kind of feel bad that my questions caused you to spend so much time! Very helpful.

Being an engineer and a scientist, I understand your frustration about the lack of empirical data for the tunes. I would love to see a quantitative, controlled experiment comparing tunes, on the dyno, on the track, and OBDII results for many parameters. Not just "bro, you really feel it!" For as expensive and competitive as tunes are, I don't know why every company doesn't straight-up publish tons of data on their websites! What are they trying to hide? It would really help to guide decisions on purchases. If they are so confident that their tunes are the best, PROVE it.

That's actually exactly why I'm so interested in the OBDII tools I asked about. I want to see for myself exactly how my mods are affecting engine, quantitatively.

I hate to do this, but you know, what you're saying about the difference between the stock manifold and CAI is not quantitative. You say that before the CAI "it felt like it was breathing through a straw." You have OBDii tools, do those spit out intake/exhaust parameters? MAF, for example? Did you see a difference on that between the two intakes, and if so, how much?
Old 06-16-2014, 06:13 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I hate to do this, but you know, what you're saying about the difference between the stock manifold and CAI is not quantitative. You say that before the CAI "it felt like it was breathing through a straw." You have OBDii tools, do those spit out intake/exhaust parameters? MAF, for example? Did you see a difference on that between the two intakes, and if so, how much?
haha, no, no, it's fine, I hated to say it. It's all those little things I haven't put into data that make it worthwhile. The sound, the "feel" (my mind? lol), and the appearance outweigh the loss of selling it. As much as I love MPG, I still love the car as a Mustang. It's still gotta be fun!

I know the UG does, I don't know about the SGii. I will try to remember to take some images today of my setup. I just purchased a data logger to actually RECORD information, as of now I just monitor. With my grille blocks, I always watch just to make sure temps are good, and to see what's going on in the car.

I am waiting for this to arrive: Davis Instruments 8226B CarChip Pro (New Model)

It has limitations, but it gives me four parameters I can record by choice, and then two or three automatically done. Before you jump on the UG, please note it is just a monitor, it doesn't record.

If I got a tuner, I would be running ABACADA testing on the tunes. Just to see what would be different under the same conditions.

EDIT: No, I didn't see any different results- but I don't monitor those, so I couldn't say either way. I honestly don't even know what the I would be looking for without looking into how it works more.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:07 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Not the best shots, it was bright. The trip ended at 36 and change MPG engine on, held 60 for ~24 miles with one complete stop and one spirited 40-70.

It's much easier to see in person. The film still on my UG makes a glare for the camera.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1402963594650.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	159392   Click image for larger version

Name:	1402963620144.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	159393  

Name:	1402963640245.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	159394  

Old 06-16-2014, 10:39 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome, thanks. Please let me know when you install your CarChip Pro and how that works out for you. Have you heard of the app called "Torque"? They have it on Android, I was looking into that too. There is a user on this forum called CVH who has done a lot of OBDii and electronics mods, you should look up his stuff, he has a really sweet interior setup.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:45 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Okay, here is one thread of his that kind of shows it. I could have sworn there was another thread where there were better pictures, but I can't find it. installed dual HD cameras
Old 06-17-2014, 08:56 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I have looked at torque, but then I need a mount for my android device, an android device, and a hardwire in. When adding all of those together and making a clean setup, the cost is near the same or more and way more work. I would have had it yesterday if they didn't screw up my address. Working on getting it resolved :/

I will check out that other thread when I have more free time, just on a quick break right now. I am also working on a top secret project at the moment, which will be posted up soon.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:35 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Some morning shots from driving today.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1403127299531.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	159525   Click image for larger version

Name:	1403127330968.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	159526  

Name:	1403127342496.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	159527  

Old 06-18-2014, 11:44 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Your MPG are really good!!!!

My daily commute is city driving with lots of stops and goes and i am averaging 19MPG per tank my car is 2014V6 2.73 gears fully stocks less the intake that I just replaced with an aftermarket one but i havent seen any impact on the mpg since the new intake was installed.

Even though I drive normal my car still gets 19MPG base on the MPG reading of the information display.

I have heard that if you put bigger gears like 3.73 you get better city mpg if you drive like me or you. Do you know if that is true?

Do you have any suggestions or advice you could give me to improve my city mpg?

I only drive in city and like ones a week on the highway. I put 40 miles daily on the car and the gas tank last exactly from monday to friday lol 5 days exacly.

I use 93 Premium gas but i believe it has like 7 or 10% ethanol. I always use chevron.

Thank you so much in advance
Ranger052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:03 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

http://ecomodder.com/forum/fuel-econ...ifications.php

http://ecomodder.com/forum/EM-hyperm...ecodriving.php

What is your actual MPG? The car is usually off, mine is always off by 4-8 mpg.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:10 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Meant to ask, have you calibrated your exact speed to the car? With a digital readout and GPS, of course.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #34
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
UA, the two suggestions for rust...easy would be silicone spray (heavy duty & reapply maybe 6 months) the other stuff I use is made by a company called "Stoner" (yeah I know) and it is Rust Preventative..a bit more of a clingy coating. We use it on metal molds when storing them.

lol at the earlier description of the shutoff and restart in front of the rice box. As you know there are many ways to get performance out of a vehicle....props.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:36 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

So I am having issues with how sturdy it is . haven't been driving it much, using my logger in the Insight right now. Here is the rear end right now- gonna toss this on the rear end thread, too.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1405744536886.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	161778   Click image for larger version

Name:	1405744559293.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	161779  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > New Member Introductions & Greetings