New guy in wheat country - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > New Member Introductions & Greetings

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-10-2013, 03:34 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
New guy in wheat country

Well, it's been a while since I've joined a forum so bear with me and my wall of text.

Now I must confess, as my handle suggests, I am indeed a convert. I grew up surrounded by GM. My uncle got a 64 Corvette when I was 10 which prompted by love for all things Chevy. My first car was an 88 Camaro, and second was an 85 Z28 with around 400hp. Those cars eventually fell apart and up until last March, I was driving an 86 MR2 with a 5spd. After 3 years (and 500k miles) of fun and faithful servitude, it finally started acting out. It was replaced by an automatic 2012 Jetta SE.

After less than 10 months, I was fed up. I missed the sound and feel of a rear wheel drive V8. I didn't want to get a new Camaro, because I don't like hitting things while backing up. I didn't want to get a Challenger, because I like being able to turn. All that was left was my teenage nemesis: the Mustang.

Now knowing that I was a few grand upside-down in my Jetta, I hesitantly called a dealer about a trade appraisal. Next thing I know, I'm at the dealership behind the wheel of a 2013 GT with a salesman riding shotgun. There was no hiding the grin that tore across my face when I did a 2nd gear pull right out of the parking lot. After about 2 hours of double-talk, smoke, mirrors, and negotiating, I apparently had purchased a 2014 Mustang GT in Oxford White. The only thing saving me was the X-Plan pricing through my employer, along with being 24 years old and telling them I go through cars like Kardashian marriages.

I am still waiting on delivery, so I have no pictures to post yet. However, I have already ordered a new shift knob, tint for the tail lights and marker signals, and some black vinyl for the hood vents from American Muscle.

I very much look forward to spending some time on the forums getting to know all of you fine gentlemen/women, and learning more about the best Mustang to come out of Ford since the early 70s.
KSconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2013, 04:09 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Hey welcome to the forums!! Whereabouts in Kansas are you? I went to college in McPherson, but would regularly drive to Wichita, KC, Manhattan, Salina, Newton, Great Bend. When are you supposed to take delivery?
66Sprint200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:21 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Born and raised in Wichita, but I have family in Overland Park so I venture up there occasionally. I did a semester at Pittsburg State because McPherson wouldn't accept me to their restoration program. I also go up to Manhattan quite a bit for tailgating and shenanigans with my buddies still in school there.

The car is traveling between dealers and is supposed to get in "late Wednesday", so I'll probably pick it up Thursday morning. The downside to this is I work 3rd shift Wednesdays and Thursdays, so I have to stay up late to get it, then go straight to bed lol. But I have a 4 day weekend this week thankfully.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2013, 04:31 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

McPherson wouldn't accept you for their restoration program? Wow. When I was there it seemed like they let everybody in. I went there for the Auto Restoration program. I left because I got a job in a nice restoration shop... that and the blatant favouritism towards other students from the faculty. They didn't want to see me succeed. Only the kids with brown noses and born with a golden spoon in their gob got anywhere.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:45 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I had no experience in any of the things they taught. It was more of a just not feeling adequate than them not accepting me. Pitt did the same thing. Upper classmen were the main focus of the teachers, freshmen were considered idiots and not worth the time. They also had 2 instructors for 30-some students, all while trying to run a fully functional shop. My lab partner and I took an engine apart, measured clearances, and put it back together, and then got told we had to do it all over again because they didn't double-check our work. The thing is, we asked them to come check it and they said to come get them when we were done.

One kid (in their defense, he was an idiot) ended up getting into fisticuffs with one of the teachers, and then tried to connect a trickle charger to a fuel pump with a full tank of gas an blow up the shop. He also drove a Del Sol with rattle-can stripes that "could do 160mph".
Old 12-10-2013, 05:20 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSconvert View Post
I had no experience in any of the things they taught. It was more of a just not feeling adequate than them not accepting me. Pitt did the same thing. Upper classmen were the main focus of the teachers, freshmen were considered idiots and not worth the time. They also had 2 instructors for 30-some students, all while trying to run a fully functional shop. My lab partner and I took an engine apart, measured clearances, and put it back together, and then got told we had to do it all over again because they didn't double-check our work. The thing is, we asked them to come check it and they said to come get them when we were done.

One kid (in their defense, he was an idiot) ended up getting into fisticuffs with one of the teachers, and then tried to connect a trickle charger to a fuel pump with a full tank of gas an blow up the shop. He also drove a Del Sol with rattle-can stripes that "could do 160mph".
rofl. The favouritism wasn't directed at the upper classmen, just anyone willing to suck up big time. I wasn't going to, so I tried working my butt off instead.

What part of Wichita were you in? I used to frequent Sheplers and the Towne East Mall on Rock Rd.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:46 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Haha that works sometimes.

I've always stuck to the west side unless I had to do some shopping or drinking. Towne East makes Towne West seem like a strip mall. The people on this side tend to be more middle class blue-collar or upper-middle aircraft people, very down to earth. We also have a lot less crime on this side of town as opposed to any other part of the city.

East side also just got a Twin Peaks right down the street from Hooters on Rock Rd. But I have to be careful going there after I got banned from their Facebook page......lol.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Hmiller
Welcome!
Old 12-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Hi, congrats and welcome.
tonyd01gt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > New Member Introductions & Greetings