noob to the mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > New Member Introductions & Greetings



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-09-2014, 03:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Canada
Region: Canada
Posts: 26
noob to the mustang

Hi guys, I'm totally new to the muscle car world .I'm coming from a VW, Honda, Suzuki background ..
I just got hooked to the sound these big engines make and the crazy torque they have.
Finally thinking of getting a 2014 base v6 manual in a few months..
Will be posting some really silly questions in other threads ..
mustang6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-09-2014, 04:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
anoa324's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: miami
Region: Florida
Posts: 136
Welcome to ME

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
anoa324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:03 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
tonyd01gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: ayden
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 1,065
Welcome.
tonyd01gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-12-2014, 04:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
rynaldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: The Woodlands
Region: Texas
Posts: 122
Welcome!!! Sure you can't grab that V8 huh???
rynaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:34 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Canada
Region: Canada
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynaldo View Post
Welcome!!! Sure you can't grab that V8 huh???
I can but I got some really weird reasons for not doing that..
If u see my past cars .. started off with high revving 3 cylinder 800 cc Jap cars.
Moved to "bigger" Honda 4 cylinder 1800 cc cars , then to 1.8 litre Vws (I know 1800 cc mean next to nothing as compared to the 5.0 etc)
I'm sure all that is classified as "rice" in the Mustang world ..
Out there in the jap/tuner/vw world - 6 cylinder is considered exotic like in Supras, Skylines, Nsx,350z,370z, VW vr6 etc. I really loved how these 6 cylinder sounded.
So for me the most beautiful engine note is a hi revving 6 cylinder
The howl of a 6 cylinder and when u back of the throttle - the burble/pop on the overrun is music.
I was considering the BMW 135(6 cylinder),BRZ(RWD coupe but no power) before this , I just happened to notice the newer 6 cylinder mustang.
I really don't see this base model as a muscle car , I was never a muscle car guy, I see the V8 as a proper true muscle car..for me the base mustang is a :
"6 cylinder RWD coupe with a massive 3.8 litre making 270 lb/foot" .
I plan to lower it , put smaller wheels, eliminate the power steering, experiment with the suspension etc. Not sure if I can do ITBS.. maybe a sequential dogbox and enjoy the 6 cylinder soundtrack.. I never liked the V8s. 6 cylinder is what I like
mustang6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
rynaldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: The Woodlands
Region: Texas
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang6 View Post
I can but I got some really weird reasons for not doing that..
If u see my past cars .. started off with high revving 3 cylinder 800 cc Jap cars.
Moved to "bigger" Honda 4 cylinder 1800 cc cars , then to 1.8 litre Vws (I know 1800 cc mean next to nothing as compared to the 5.0 etc)
I'm sure all that is classified as "rice" in the Mustang world ..
Out there in the jap/tuner/vw world - 6 cylinder is considered exotic like in Supras, Skylines, Nsx,350z,370z, VW vr6 etc. I really loved how these 6 cylinder sounded.
So for me the most beautiful engine note is a hi revving 6 cylinder
The howl of a 6 cylinder and when u back of the throttle - the burble/pop on the overrun is music.
I was considering the BMW 135(6 cylinder),BRZ(RWD coupe but no power) before this , I just happened to notice the newer 6 cylinder mustang.
I really don't see this base model as a muscle car , I was never a muscle car guy, I see the V8 as a proper true muscle car..for me the base mustang is a :
"6 cylinder RWD coupe with a massive 3.8 litre making 270 lb/foot" .
I plan to lower it , put smaller wheels, eliminate the power steering, experiment with the suspension etc. Not sure if I can do ITBS.. maybe a sequential dogbox and enjoy the 6 cylinder soundtrack.. I never liked the V8s. 6 cylinder is what I like
Totally understand... I drive a 2014 6 for a day as a loaner a while back... It was pretty nice... you will be happy with it I am sure...
rynaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:39 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular
 
Cise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 503
welcome to the 3.7 club. You'll find tons of information in our tech section!
Cise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:46 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
2 Stangz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Region: Nevada
Posts: 2,093
Interesting, Ford managed to scoop up a tuner with one of their V6 Mustangs. Welcome to the world of Mustangs and MEVO.
__________________
2010 GT Premium - Automatic - Torch Red
2 Stangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:12 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
rockhillgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: rock hill
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 344
surprised you didnt wait for the 2015 turbo stang coming out
__________________

rockhillgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:15 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
13BKV6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Breaux Bridge
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 295
the V6s are def fun to drive as well. i love my v6... congrats and welcome!
__________________
Current: 2015 GT Premium Performance Package-stock for now

Past: 13 V6, 11 MCA V6, 89 GT, 88 GT, 04 V6
13BKV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:19 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Canada
Region: Canada
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhillgt View Post
surprised you didnt wait for the 2015 turbo stang coming out
the turbo is 4 cylinder, the base 6 remains as is..
I had enough of 4 cylinders.
mustang6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 04:14 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Canada
Region: Canada
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynaldo View Post
Totally understand... I drive a 2014 6 for a day as a loaner a while back... It was pretty nice... you will be happy with it I am sure...
Seems you like V8s .. couldn't you get a Shelby 500 or Boss 302 ? Both are faster and better versions of the V8 GT version and also proper muscle cars.
mustang6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:22 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
blueprint87's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 149
Welcome! Lovin' my 2012 V6. It's a good choice.
blueprint87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:31 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Canada
Region: Canada
Posts: 26
Am I doing something wrong or the mustang is not for me ?
I have taken 2 test drives and I still didn't get it.
I was thinking this would be a powerful torquey car to drive..
1] 1st time I took it for a test drive it was an autobox.. didn't like the car at all. Steering felt vague and had no power at all
2] 2nd time I took a manual version , it also had a Roush exhaust fitted (dealership is also an authorised Roush dealer).. drove it for 10 minutes - Never driven such a vague and floaty gear box.. every thing is so widely spaced apart. its not all accurate. I didn't rev it up too much since its not a tuner car,I was hoping for some of that 300 horsepower/280lb-foot would come into play ..but nothing happened.
Steering as usual didn't convey any feel of the road. I kept the steering feel to sport.
It felt like driving an ordinary heavy slow sedan...

Is it because I'm doing something wrong ? do I need to rev it up to 6000 rpm ? to get a feel of that power ? is the steering always numb ?
OR Mustang is not for me ? I just don't get it. I was really hoping to like the mustang as a RWD , 300 BHP coupe.. its not giving me that feeling.
mustang6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Charlotte, NC
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 1,045
Both the v6 and v8s make horrible power down low. I would say you have to really get to at least 3,000 rpm before it starts to pick up. People claim a intake/ tune and gears do help but it's not going to be like a torquey low end v8. At the end of the day it's a compromise, it has good power (within it's powerband) yet it still get 33-36 Mpgs on the highway in 6th gear. Just have to accept the powerband of these cars is more like an old turbo car getting into boost or a car with Vtec.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
Both the v6 and v8s make horrible power down low. I would say you have to really get to at least 3,000 rpm before it starts to pick up. People claim a intake/ tune and gears do help but it's not going to be like a torquey low end v8. At the end of the day it's a compromise, it has good power (within it's powerband) yet it still get 33-36 Mpgs on the highway in 6th gear. Just have to accept the powerband of these cars is more like an old turbo car getting into boost or a car with Vtec.
All depends on the tune buddy. And how your car is set up. Mine makes plenty down low

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:49 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: 00
Region: Other
Posts: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang6 View Post
Am I doing something wrong or the mustang is not for me ?
I have taken 2 test drives and I still didn't get it.
I was thinking this would be a powerful torquey car to drive..
1] 1st time I took it for a test drive it was an autobox.. didn't like the car at all. Steering felt vague and had no power at all
2] 2nd time I took a manual version , it also had a Roush exhaust fitted (dealership is also an authorised Roush dealer).. drove it for 10 minutes - Never driven such a vague and floaty gear box.. every thing is so widely spaced apart. its not all accurate. I didn't rev it up too much since its not a tuner car,I was hoping for some of that 300 horsepower/280lb-foot would come into play ..but nothing happened.
Steering as usual didn't convey any feel of the road. I kept the steering feel to sport.
It felt like driving an ordinary heavy slow sedan...

Is it because I'm doing something wrong ? do I need to rev it up to 6000 rpm ? to get a feel of that power ? is the steering always numb ?
OR Mustang is not for me ? I just don't get it. I was really hoping to like the mustang as a RWD , 300 BHP coupe.. its not giving me that feeling.
The shifter feels that way in stock form. I purchased the Barton one piece shifter bracket and eliminated that floaty inconsistent feel. $60 fix. And like others have said the 3.7 likes to spin up so you really need to push it to feel the power band. You may have driven two cars with 2.73 gears and need that extra rpm
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:25 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Canada
Region: Canada
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
Both the v6 and v8s make horrible power down low. I would say you have to really get to at least 3,000 rpm before it starts to pick up. People claim a intake/ tune and gears do help but it's not going to be like a torquey low end v8. At the end of the day it's a compromise, it has good power (within it's powerband) yet it still get 33-36 Mpgs on the highway in 6th gear.
ok ..
3000 sounds reasonable..
I'm going to wring it up to 4500 rpm this time , as per specs its :
280 lb/ft @4250rpm..so in short I was an idiot for keeping it out of the power band and expecting it to fly..

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
Just have to accept the powerband of these cars is more like an old turbo car getting into boost or a car with Vtec.
I understand ..Im used to hi revving screamers
mustang6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:39 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Canada
Region: Canada
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
The shifter feels that way in stock form. I purchased the Barton one piece shifter bracket and eliminated that floaty inconsistent feel. $60 fix. And like others have said the 3.7 likes to spin up so you really need to push it to feel the power band. You may have driven two cars with 2.73 gears and need that extra rpm
Ok..
3rd attempt - I'm going to rev it up like a ****ing inline 4 screamer
Moving to a short shifter with a shift lever extension is going to be on top of my list..
mustang6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:45 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: 00
Region: Other
Posts: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang6 View Post
Ok..
3rd attempt - I'm going to rev it up like a ****ing inline 4 screamer
5000-6900 rpms is where you need to be. Keep in mind that these cars are tuned for gas mileage in stock form. The 3.7 has plenty potential just needs a few mods to unlock its power.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:51 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Canada
Region: Canada
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
5000-6900 rpms is where you need to be. Keep in mind that these cars are tuned for gas mileage in stock form. The 3.7 has plenty potential just needs a few mods to unlock its power.

So basically If i stick to a 3.7 rear end I can get best of both worlds..
mileage + power(if I get it to 5000 rpm and above)
So its like a vtec then , but 3 times as powerful...
mustang6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:58 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: 00
Region: Other
Posts: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang6 View Post
So basically If i stick to a 3.7 rear end I can get best of both worlds..
mileage + power(if I get it to 5000 rpm and above)
So its like a vtec then , but 3 times as powerful...
Correct try to find one that has the factory 3.31 gears, they'll help get to the power band quicker and still get 28-30 mpgs
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: 00
Region: Other
Posts: 1,198
Moons ago I had a 92 Acura Integra with the 1.8 that was lazy until around 4800 to 7000 rpms. The mustang gts of that time hated that car, it was pretty quick for not being a gsr model. Just to be clear I had it in 94-97 so thats the stangs im refering to.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:04 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Canada
Region: Canada
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
Correct try to find one that has the factory 3.31 gears, they'll help get to the power band quicker and still get 28-30 mpgs
ok..
right now dealerships are not having many options for the gears and they are not taking any factory orders; I will have to make do with whats already in stock in base model..at least thats what the dealership told me.
mustang6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:06 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: 00
Region: Other
Posts: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang6 View Post
ok..
right now dealerships are not having many options for the gears and they are not taking any factory orders; I will have to make do with whats already in stock in base model..at least thats what the dealership told me.
Gotcha, then a tuner and gears will be first on your mod list
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:08 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Canada
Region: Canada
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
Moons ago I had a 92 Acura Integra with the 1.8 that was lazy until around 4800 to 7000 rpms. The mustang gts of that time hated that car, it was pretty quick for not being a gsr model. Just to be clear I had it in 94-97 so thats the stangs im refering to.
Tegs in any form are fast.
Must have been a B18 series DOHC ..? B series were pretty much on top of the food chain in the 4 cylinders ..till the new K series came.
But still nothing comes close to an old school "drive by cable" throttle of a B series.
mustang6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:42 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Canada
Region: Canada
Posts: 26
I picked up a new 2014 rental Mustang for 2 days..
So far not bad .. found a proper seat/steering position ..
Sport mode makes the steering nice and heavy ..simulates a hydraulic/manual rack very well .. not bad.
Doesn't give that much of a feedback but feels nice and weighted for sport mode.
Power is good , needs to be kept revved up.
Feels a bit dark and small inside the cabin, I was thinking it would be very spacious inside ..but thats not a problem ..
A glass roof can fix that.
I think I kind of liked the view of the huge bonnet ahead..
Front also lifts up slightly on full throttle- nice !!

..and it looks beautiful .. I would buy this for the looks, it looks very nice up close.
mustang6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
refuzeandrezizt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Western, KY
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 71
Howdy, and welcome, from Western KY!
__________________
2010 V6. Kona Blue Metallic. 5 speed manual. Cold air intake. Gibson dual cat-back. TB spacer. Stripes by me. Tinted windows (20% all around). Billet grilles. Tail light trims. Bama tuned (93R). 20" Dropstars. SR lowering springs. Adjustable panhard bar. Stillen chin spoiler. Much more to come...
refuzeandrezizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:30 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Canada
Region: Canada
Posts: 26
sports shifters ?

guys .. what do we have equivalent to in the mustang world for after market shifters ?
I know we have "short shifters" but what about sequential boxes ? or this upgraded motorsports shifter assembly below ?

mustang6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:11 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
JOberlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Region: California
Posts: 245
I'd like to add that my last tank in Los Angeles rush hour traffic was 28 mpg. It's amazingly frugal with gas and only costs 1-2K more than a base model Civic after incentives and rebates.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > New Member Introductions & Greetings

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2013 V6 Mustang HP Increase?!? (NooB) ponyfever 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 24 07-17-2012 12:15 PM
Hello. Mustang noob here. slicksilver07 New Member Introductions & Greetings 8 01-20-2012 12:37 PM
Mustang Noob! Patrick831 New Member Introductions & Greetings 11 02-18-2011 11:22 PM
Oh no...i'm a noob here! Brian M The Bar 14 01-10-2004 05:23 PM
audio noob needs help Monkey Mustang Audio & Video 21 11-23-2003 09:57 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



07:00 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.