New 2011 Owner - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > New Member Introductions & Greetings

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-31-2015, 10:17 PM   #1

Region: Georgia
New 2011 Owner

Hi all!
Real quick: tl;dr (Too long, didn't read): I went out and bought a black 2011 GT Manual. Nearly 34 and only ever driven a manual for about 4 hours of my life before today. I am reaaaallllyyy (add more letters if you like) happy I bought the manual.

Edit: I'll have pictures up tomorrow

I've been a lurker on here and a few other sites lately and today I finally took the plunge and bought my first Mustang. I had been eyeballing owning a few over the past several months, ever since the 2015s came out.

***Queue memory sequence music***
Back in 2004, I had just left the military for the first time and decided to start college. I had no real aspirations in car-life and drove whatever my cash could afford. I went through a few vehicles by the time the 2004 mustangs arrived at dealerships.

When it happened, I instantly fell in love. Since the mid-80s or so, I had a serious dislike for the majority of cars that were considered muscle cars and whatnot. They looked silly to me. Little did I know was that it was because of the 80s. The only good thing from the 80s was the Jeep Grand Wagoneer (I've owned 3 during my lifetime and they were a blast).

I went to the nearest dealership, sat down and said "I'm not leaving here with anything other than a Mustang." I had a a decent down payment, I had a co-signer if available, and I was eager. I even put on my nice shoes that day. The salesman had my credit checked and quickly returned with a carefully neutral expression on his face. "Son, you've never owned a car before, have you." "Yes... Yes I have. Three cars." "Well, your credit history is garbage. Here, lets take a walk around the dealership and I'll show you what you can drive away with today."

He marched me straight over to an Eagle something something. Or a something something Eagle, whatever the heck those things were. I looked at him with narrowed eyes. I knew I had terrible credit, but I had enough of a down payment to pay off half a fully loaded GT. He was offering me a seriously used car for $22k. "No sir, you see. I want to use this down payment as a down payment. Are you serious about offering me just this used car for this much? It's worth like 8... maybe 10." A nod from the salesman encouraged me to head back to my beat up Blazer and call it a day.

***Fast forward to Thanksgiving 2014***
My wife and I were heading out of town. There is a Ford dealership right outside of the community we live in. We'd often driven by it and I rarely even glanced at Mustangs anymore. That little spark of life was barely even a dark ember anymore. My days had been filled with (after the Wagoneers) a car-life of mediocrity. I drove an Elantra (okay, I didn't know it had more HP than an older V6, but at the time, I was sadfacing all over the place).

There she was. Cherry Red, black tires, 5.0 on the side. "OooooOoOoooh," I said aloud as my wife came to a stop at the stoplight. "Preeetttty." It was a 2015 Mustang GT.

The next few months, including Thanksgiving with family, saw me nose deep in whatever form of electronics I could find doing research on the 2015 Mustangs. Ecoboost? That sounds cool! It has 4 cylinders? That's like my Hyundai! Cool, I guess. I'll do more research... Doesn't quite have that aggressive sound I associate with V8s or even V6 engines, but okay.

More time begins to go by and I realize that no... No, I don't like the new cars. They remind me too much of these other cars that I used to sometimes like (no, not the Fusion). I... I love the "older" Mustangs.

Okay... Long *** story short. I met my second wife (I'm still married to my first) and she is the prettiest little purring thing I've ever seen. I ended up buying a 2011 GT. It was the oldest I was willing to go. I test drove several cars today and I realized that I hate leather and don't like the leather stitched steering wheels. I lose out on the Sync from the Premium package, but eh... I didn't really use the phone while driving in my old car, either.

(So this doesn't make the story short, sorry!)

I've only ever driven a standard two or three times in my entire life. My wife tried to teach me how to drive her Honda, but we only had a couple of days to learn and I didn't have the patience back then (my wife is an amazing driver). When I went into the dealership, I figured I would end up buying an automatic.

I test drove several cars. V8s, V6s, Manuals (okay, my wife drove them, but they let just the two of us drive it down a ways and back), and Automatics. To be perfectly honest, I was completely turned off by the automatics. Maybe it is just me, but... I felt like it wasn't worth my time going from my Elantra to a Mustang if all I was doing was going from Automatic to Automatic. My wife had a little giggly smile on her face I hadn't seen since we had to give up her old Honda (250k miles in 14 years, never had to replace a clutch, gearbox... anything other than tires. I'm pretty sure she had the original timing belt). Sure, she'd driven her mom's Mini Cooper sport thing, but it wasn't the same sort of smile.

With a little nod, we went in, negotiated a price (okay, not really, I was done and I actually liked the price) and ended up walking out with my new baby. We went out to eat, took the daughter to get some yogurt (no food or drinks in the car!) and then my wife took me straight to a parking lot where she then spent a good couple of hours coaching me in the finer points of driving a stick.

Damn am I happy I bought a standard. That thing is a real joy to drive. I ended up having the confidence to drive it back to the house. Tomorrow will be a full day of getting to know my baby with the wife's watchful gaze.
bax644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2015, 11:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Great story! I too bought the same car you did, last year after not having a mustang since 1991. I now have a 2014 but miss my 2011 black GT. The front looks better to me.
As you're surely enjoying the amazing power, especially with a manual 6 speed, remember one thing....
Don't f**k around in the rain or wet roads! Seriously! This car will kill you!
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:39 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
I am a firm believer that a TRUE mustang is only a V8 manual transmission. I haven't owned an automatic once in my life. The control and feel of a manual is the only way to go. Now I'm sure automatics are good for drag racing and stuff but for regular spirited driving...hands down manual Trans. Also as stated above, be careful in wet conditions. One crazy leg twitch that gives you just a bit more gas in the wrong gear in the wrong conditions will get ugly. I give you props for learning how to drive a stick on a 412hp RWD beast. Post some pics when you get a chance 👍

Just enjoying my 420 HP daily driver
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2015, 03:44 PM   #4

I'll certainly take the advice from both of you concerning slick surfaces. My wife and I had hoped for some sort of shower to take place in our area so that I could get the experience, but no dice. I did chirp the tires a few times while getting used to 1st gear, but I had enough sense about me to get it under control. I'm certain that it is 10 times worse on slick surfaces. Sadly, it's supposed to rain tomorrow, but we'll not have the time to get the practice in.

I got a good 3 or so hours logged in on learning how to drive it. I even dropped the wife and daughter (she's just small enough that she fits, this is my car, not the family car) at the park and went driving around a secluded area that, if I messed up, I wouldn't be putting anyone in danger. My wife was leery, but it ended up being a good idea.

That's when the starting and stopping really started to click. I had the windows rolled down, the radio off, and really got to have a chance to listen to the engine tell me what it wanted and when it wanted it. After about 20 minutes, I realized I wasn't even paying attention to how I needed to control things and was experiencing little or no jerking.

I really must say, I will never go back to an automatic transmission. Just getting up to a paltry 35mph actually felt fun. It felt like I had finally woken up after years of driving an automatic. Another week or two and I'm sure I'll have it down.

I have a small ankle problem that has lingered even after surgery, and I thought that might affect how long I might even own this car, but after the hours we put into starting, stopping, starting on hills, etc... I think I'll be perfectly fine.

On the way home, I reluctantly turned the car back to the experienced driver. My wife decided to give the engine what it wanted and it put an uncontrollable smile on our faces and shouts of joy from our daughter. Though I know it'll soon be my daily driver, I think it will immediately be our weekend fun toy. The downside where we live is that there is nothing to do. The upside is that there is a lot of 2 hour road trips to fun.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:11 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

New 2011 Owner

That's cool man. I'm like you, my car is my driver. Wife's Jetta is family car. Although my son can fit in the car, it's not ideal. My wife can drive a stick, but doesn't really care to. So if we take mine places it's all me. I fact I'm the only one who has driven my car minus the dealer, and my brother in law. I let him take my gt for a joy ride, and he let me drive his 2015 BMW M4. Stupid fast car, auto but paddle shifters. Too many options for a guy like me but its a sweet car. I was happy that my mustang brought a smile and a truly impressed impression on him. A guy who owns a car that cost 3x what mine cost.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:20 AM   #6

Nice, oxford. I have been venturing further and further from the nest, so to speak. Putting a little pressure has helped me with getting to know 1st gear even better. Realized last night that the previous owner likely disabled the skip shift, or I am so green that it is disabled by the time I try and shift.

We plan on taking a trip with it down to Savannah soon with our daughter in the back. We want to see how well we do with short (2 hour) trips. Our daughter loves riding around town with it, but I think it is mostly due to the idea that daddy accomplished a big goal he has had for a long time that excites her. Well that and the rumble.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-04-2015, 07:25 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax644 View Post
Nice, oxford. I have been venturing further and further from the nest, so to speak. Putting a little pressure has helped me with getting to know 1st gear even better. Realized last night that the previous owner likely disabled the skip shift, or I am so green that it is disabled by the time I try and shift.

We plan on taking a trip with it down to Savannah soon with our daughter in the back. We want to see how well we do with short (2 hour) trips. Our daughter loves riding around town with it, but I think it is mostly due to the idea that daddy accomplished a big goal he has had for a long time that excites her. Well that and the rumble.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Mustang Evolution mobile app

That's awesome. Kids are great for that reason. My son is 3, so now anytime he sees a mustang it's "ohhh dadas car" lol. If you ever need any help with anything shoot me a message man. I'm sure I will see you around the forum though 👍

Old 02-04-2015, 08:06 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
When water sits on the roads, watch out for "Hydroplaning"!! I know, after I installed 18x9 rims and 275/40/18 tires.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:18 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Mustangs have skip shift? Mine certainly doesn't, in that every gear is available at any speed.

Sent from somewhere near the center of the Milky Way
Darth Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
Mustangs have skip shift? Mine certainly doesn't, in that every gear is available at any speed.

No idea, I just know that it is difficult as hell to shift into 2nd or 3rd if I rev it or keep it in 1st over about 5mph. I have decided that I don't need to be in 1st unless I feel I absolutely have to. Also, I know all about hydroplaning in cars like this. Wet road condition is something I don't look forward to.

Continuing my new car story:

I can't believe I waited all these years to learn how to drive a stick. I mean, at least I got to learn it on my dream car. After I got off the Interstate on my way home, I realized I probably had a huge stupid grin on my face the whole time. I'm sure it's not just the Mustang... but Dang is this car stupid fun just driving around town.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download_20150202_160123.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	174863  
Old 02-04-2015, 04:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax644 View Post
No idea, I just know that it is difficult as hell to shift into 2nd or 3rd if I rev it or keep it in 1st over about 5mph. I have decided that I don't need to be in 1st unless I feel I absolutely have to.

Does your wife have the same trouble? Get it looked at?

Old 02-04-2015, 04:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
Does your wife have the same trouble? Get it looked at?

Yeah, she thinks it is a little rough from 1st to 2nd as well. It honestly could be just us vs the over triple horsepower compared to her old stick. I'm taking it in to get checked up on this weekend anyway, so I'll add that to the list. Want to make sure they very slight squeaking sown when going over speed bumps is looked at.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:08 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

The squeak is a known problem and will be fixed under warranty - search my old posts - I had it done.

As for more horsepower affecting the manual gearbox - that makes no difference whatsoever!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > New Member Introductions & Greetings