New Mustang owner! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > New Member Introductions & Greetings

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-29-2015, 03:25 AM   #1

Region: Texas
New Mustang owner!

Hey guys and gals! Recently bought a 2012 V6 mustang premium here in Austin, Tx and so far I'm loving the car, and safe to say I just got bit by the modding bug I had put in a CAI but due to recent floods I got me and my car stuck and well water got in the engine. It's currently in the shop but I will be getting Eleanor (yes I named her) back and was asking if you guys have any mods you guys would recommend I would greatly appreciate it. I'm not to familiar with engines or working with them but I have Google so that helps me get through the installation process. Excited to be here and hear your ideas!

Llama
steepllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2015, 05:31 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Hi steepllama,
Sorry to hear of your flooding problems down there in Texas. I had flooding problems myself back in September of 2011 so trust me, I feel ya. As for getting bit by the mods bug, it's a tough one to fight off, sometimes. Perhaps a tune from American Muscle, Steeda or the other reputable tuners. Maybe a different rear depending on what yours has in it. There are so many things available for these cars, it really all depends on what you want to do to it. Lots of knowledge here from guys who've been doing this for years.
la pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:11 AM   #3

The Panther,
Appreciate your reply. Most of my research consisted of people saying I should invest in handling and exhaust, definitely do want the meaner sound but not so sure which one to get just yet and as for steering, well it's completely out of my ballpark not sure where to even start there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2015, 07:17 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Yep, there are those things you could do, too. Like I said, many things you could do. Maybe pick the area you would like to improve the most and start from there?
la pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:08 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
New Mustang owner!

I remember when I got my mustang. I also got the mod bug. I started with the boss 302 front strut then a CAI, I also got a steeda stainless steel clutch line(didn't put it in yet) but I also got the detail bug because because I hate seeing it dirty. Good luck with car

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
etr3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:05 AM   #6
Kevin.Cook

With exhaust, it really is what you pay for is what you get.

If you like that ricey, droning exhaust - get Pypes axlebacks or Tridents.

If you want a deep muscle tone, get Borlas.

That is my opinion.

If you are looking at others - Magnaflow Streets sound OK. As well as Flowmaster Force IIs.

A tune will be your best investment. Also, I always recommend a JLT oil catch can to help prolong the life of the car and get you the most out of your gas/octane level.

Next biggest bang for your buck on N/A cars is differential gears. Get 3.55 gears if you are manual, or get 3.73 if you are Auto.

Suspension will also be good. But don't cheap out if you do this and just get lowering springs. You will want:

Lowering springs
Shocks and struts to match the dampening
Adjustable panhard bar
Rear lower control arms and relocation brackets
Adjustable upper control arm and mounting bracket

That list is just to get you a decent setup in the rear. Of course if you want a complete suspension, you will want stuff like new front lower control arms also.

Also, if your car didn't come with the Performance Package, a nice set of front and rear sway bars will be nice.

AM is a great source for a lot of this. Hope this helps!

Old 11-29-2015, 11:16 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steepllama View Post
Hey guys and gals! Recently bought a 2012 V6 mustang premium here in Austin, Tx and so far I'm loving the car, and safe to say I just got bit by the modding bug I had put in a CAI but due to recent floods I got me and my car stuck and well water got in the engine. It's currently in the shop but I will be getting Eleanor (yes I named her) back and was asking if you guys have any mods you guys would recommend I would greatly appreciate it. I'm not to familiar with engines or working with them but I have Google so that helps me get through the installation process. Excited to be here and hear your ideas!

Llama
Sorry to hear of your misfortune, but welcome and happy modding.
fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panther View Post
Yep, there are those things you could do, too. Like I said, many things you could do. Maybe pick the area you would like to improve the most and start from there?
The Panther
Yeah I think tuner and exhaust will be my first priorities once the car is fixed hopefully sometime this week! Appreciate the input!
Old 11-29-2015, 07:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr3.7 View Post
I remember when I got my mustang. I also got the mod bug. I started with the boss 302 front strut then a CAI, I also got a steeda stainless steel clutch line(didn't put it in yet) but I also got the detail bug because because I hate seeing it dirty. Good luck with car

etr3.7
Nice! Haha yeah same here I've been using a toothpick with some a cloth to get those hard in between places seems to work effectively plus knocks out boredom on a nice afternoon! Did you notice any improvement in your handling with the strut?
Old 11-29-2015, 07:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
With exhaust, it really is what you pay for is what you get.

If you like that ricey, droning exhaust - get Pypes axlebacks or Tridents.

If you want a deep muscle tone, get Borlas.

That is my opinion.

If you are looking at others - Magnaflow Streets sound OK. As well as Flowmaster Force IIs.

A tune will be your best investment. Also, I always recommend a JLT oil catch can to help prolong the life of the car and get you the most out of your gas/octane level.

Next biggest bang for your buck on N/A cars is differential gears. Get 3.55 gears if you are manual, or get 3.73 if you are Auto.

Suspension will also be good. But don't cheap out if you do this and just get lowering springs. You will want:

Lowering springs
Shocks and struts to match the dampening
Adjustable panhard bar
Rear lower control arms and relocation brackets
Adjustable upper control arm and mounting bracket

That list is just to get you a decent setup in the rear. Of course if you want a complete suspension, you will want stuff like new front lower control arms also.

Also, if your car didn't come with the Performance Package, a nice set of front and rear sway bars will be nice.

AM is a great source for a lot of this. Hope this helps!

Kevin Cook
Yeah, I've been looking at the exhaust on AM and haven't really found one I like but I'll look into Borlas haven't heard of them until you mentioned them. What is a a JLT catch can? Yeah that list definitely helps out a lot I really appreciate it a lot, thanks!!
Old 11-29-2015, 07:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman View Post
Sorry to hear of your misfortune, but welcome and happy modding.
Fishman
It's all good man, life happens! Thanks I'm glad to be here!
Old 12-01-2015, 07:55 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by steepllama View Post
etr3.7
Nice! Haha yeah same here I've been using a toothpick with some a cloth to get those hard in between places seems to work effectively plus knocks out boredom on a nice afternoon! Did you notice any improvement in your handling with the strut?

A little, but not much. What I really want to get is sway bars, front and rear, i heard that will help the handling. It's really the booty that likes the slip out and that I want to control.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:08 AM   #13
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Kev's got a good list for ya...I'll suggest to look at the classified for exhaust if you can find a used one local = more $ for other things.

what I've done to my 2012 V6

used Airaid & Bassani exhaust (both for sound)
4 speakers (base model spkrs stink)
used MGW shifter, clutch line, motor mounts = improved shifting.

I have a box full of suspension bits to lower the car which will go on in early spring (or sometime during it's winter nap)

Welcome to Mevo not only will we help you spend your $ we'll have the occasional good idea.

Mud
Old 12-01-2015, 09:09 AM   #14
Staff

Regular
Staff

Oh yeah, if it's a manual go to 3.31 or more for a rear end.....
Old 12-01-2015, 10:55 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
Kev's got a good list for ya...I'll suggest to look at the classified for exhaust if you can find a used one local = more $ for other things.

what I've done to my 2012 V6

used Airaid & Bassani exhaust (both for sound)
4 speakers (base model spkrs stink)
used MGW shifter, clutch line, motor mounts = improved shifting.

I have a box full of suspension bits to lower the car which will go on in early spring (or sometime during it's winter nap)

Welcome to Mevo not only will we help you spend your $ we'll have the occasional good idea.

Mud

What motor mounts did you go with??I want to do this but don't know what mounts to go with.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:58 AM   #16
Staff

Regular
Staff

I went with JHR...avoid the solid mounts. This was one of MY mods that made the biggest improvement in shifting (pretty much eliminated blocking) however, there is a good bit more NVH with them. It was a pita install but simple wrenching. If you go for them I have hints on the install.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Mustang Evolution | Community Forums > New Member Introductions & Greetings