Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Hi all

3K views 70 replies 10 participants last post by  emilycel 
#1 ·
I never owned a Mustang before but test driven the v6, eco and the gt. They're all amazing to me since it's more powerful than what I drive now. I drive a Toyota Camry.

So since I can't afford a new gt, I found a 2014 with 17k miles. I'm on the fence about buying it or not. So yeah.... that's my story.

I came here to learn more and get some advice from people that already own Mustangs that know more than I do.

Em

#29 ·
If your seriously considering buying, don't be afraid to offer less than their asking price. Most dealerships don't bite. Offer them 16K and see where that goes. If they counter offer and your happy with it, THEN take it to a good mechanic for a rigid inspection. Just remember there will always be other nice Mustangs for sale.

#32 ·
Smart move. Be patient, the right car will present itself. Make sure that if there is something you want with the car, you don't settle. You don't want to be kicking yourself for not getting the premium, brembos, or any other add ons that are available. Not saying those are what you want but if there is something you want be patient and make sure you get it right the first time. I bought my base model 2014 v6 new and had it for two years before I traded it in for my 2014 gt/cs. I should have gotten what I wanted the first time.

#39 ·
From Jersey? Plenty of Mustangs around here. Not sure I'd get one from a dealer TBTH.

Have you tried some of the bigger forums like The Corral or SVT Performance classifieds and seeing it anyone has anything for sale locally? Buying from a private party enthusiast is usually going to be better at least in my experience.

And yes... Jersey road salt... take a look at the undercarriage CAREFULLY.

Also have you considered a V6 for insurance costs in NJ? If you are in a Camry now a V6 will still feel like a rocketship. Maybe consider a leftover 2017 V6 new from a dealer? They are going for peanuts now. That is something else, not sure what your credit is like or what interest rate you can get but if you go through a local credit union you might be able to get a really REALLY low rate like 1.75% or even 0.9% on a new car and get a GT you want... but new 2017 variety. I have heard of base models off the lot for $27k and base model 2017s are pretty loaded honestly.

Just throwing all that stuff out there.

#42 ·
Don't wait too long, its end of year for the 2017s. V6 is being phased out completely as in only 4 banger turbo and GT, now would be the time to snap up a leftover V6 for a song. You could try Willis Ford if you are in DE. Buddy of mine bought new from them and they were pretty legit, at least back then. See what a credit union like Dover Federal can do for you interest wise on a new car loan and maybe you'll be surprised?

#43 ·
Thank you for the recommendation. And you're right the v6's are cheap, cheaper than the gt's of course. I thought about the eco too for a bit but I'm not sure. That's why I'm here trying to learn and hear other owners opinions. The videos on YouTube and reading / searching stuff on google doesn't help me at all.

At the end of the way of course my choice matters but I don't want to be sorry that I got a eco instead of a gt. Internet keeps saying that the eco will never sound the way a gt does. No matter what you do to it. I'm not sure how true that is.

I'm just learning stuff slowly.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#46 ·
Its really up to you. Go test drive new/used cars, see what body style and interior you like, see what you can afford and CALL YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY and see what you will be paying monthly for a GT or V6 or eco. IIRC, the insurance prices in DE are good but... if you are young and/or have anything on your record that might make your decision for you.

As far as the Eco ever sounding like a GT... it never will, its a 4 cyl they don't sound like 8 and neither will the 6 although the 6 does sound really good with the right exhaust on it. Not as good as the GT but way better than the 4... the 4 sounds like a ricer I'm sorry.

Now if it was ME... I'd probably be looking at the cleanest base model 11-14 GT automatic that I could find. But that's me. Not here to start a pissing match over stick vs auto, but that is something else to consider if you are commuting or want to take it to the track a lot etc... If you are new to this game, just FYI there are a lot of potential issues with the stick shifts in the 11+ cars.

#45 ·
Look around Emily. I looked for 6 months for a 2014 that I liked. Waffled back and forth between a GT and a V6. Wanted the deep impact blue, leather seats, shaker system. Could not find one. So I settled. Decided to save some money and got a Sterling Grey V6 premium pony package with navigation. 2 weeks later THE car I wanted showed up. Grrrrrr. Be patient. If you know what you want, plan on allowing yourself a little extra funds to get it when it does come around.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

#47 ·
Thanks Agraulis.

Scott,

Will do thank you. I didn't know there was a lot of problems with sticks, a mechanic friend of mine told me stick is better. But other people tell me that auto is better. I don't think I would get an automatic though I always preferred manual for my next car. This won't be a commuter car for me, it's just a weekend car. I won't be going to the track either.

I'm not here to go back and forth or start an argument like people do under YouTube videos like kids over auto, v6, eco, manual, gt, etc

I checked my insurance whether I get a 14, 15 or 16 the price is not bad monthly.

Thank you :)

#48 ·
Yeah if you prefer stick go stick... not sure what your mechanic friend is talking about, the 11+ transmissions are well documented and the 6R80 automatic is spectacular, probably the best transmission Ford ever released. The MT82 manual trans has its share of issues... a lot of that is related to the remote shifter setup though. If you do get a stick, plan on doing a braided clutch line, a MGW Race Spec shifter and the spring delete too.

#50 ·
Hi sorry I'm back with a question. Anyone on here buy a car from carmax? I found a 2014 gt that I'm interested in but I'm not sure if carmax is a good place to buy a car or not. Any input would be appreciated.

17k miles
$24k

#51 ·
Not sure about Carmax... but if it has a clean carfax and is what you're looking for then I don't see a problem. It has low mileage which is good. Is it a premium? I'm just unsure of the 24k if not... I mean it has low miles so it may not be a bad deal as long as it's what you want. Just check with kbb and have it inspected. Maybe try and talk them down a bit? I paid 23 for my 2014 with 40k on it but it's a California special with full electronic package, navigation and was certified pre-owned. All in all I guess if it's what you want and it seems legit after an inspection and carfax report then go for it! Good luck!

#57 ·
I agree totally! I could have bought a new one but I preferred the 11-14 mostly 13-14 (had to be a coyote and manual) all I really wanted was leather because I'm a diesel mechanic and it's easier to keep clean... I stumbled on the CS and fell in love! You'll find your stang soon enough! Good luck!

#59 ·
That price is a little high for a base model IMO... I would not pay more than $21 or $22k for it...

#63 ·
Stock base model 11-14s with low miles go for $19-$21k all day on SVTP private party value. Carmax is a dealer so dealer prices but haggle haggle haggle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.