Passenger Side Headlight Goes out. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-22-2009, 03:26 PM   #1

Passenger Side Headlight Goes out.

Picked up some new headlight bulbs online for the '09' GT and I have a strange problem.
If I just turn the headlights on, they work fine. If I start the engine, the passenger side bulb shuts off after about 15 seconds and stays off. The high beam works, but the low beam shuts off. If I switch the headlights off and back on, it comes back on for 15 secs. If I turn the engine off, it comes back on and stays on. The stock bulbs work fine. Its an H13 bulb. I tested it with a multi meter and it has proper voltage until it shuts off, then it has 0 volts. If I leave the engine running and remove the bulb from the wire socket, it still has no voltage, until I shut the engine off.
The drivers side does not have this problem.
My thought is that these are 100/80Watt bulbs and the stock bulb is 55 watts. Could it be that there is a sensor/relay that thinks there is too much wattage being pulled and opens so no power goes to the bulb? These are Halogen bulbs, not HID. The bulbs are NOKYA Artic White Stage 2. I'm asking them to swap themout for Stage 1's as those are only 55/60 watts. Has anyone else experienced this?
GT_Miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: Passenger Side Headlight Goes out.

these are the ones I use and work great
eBay Motors: NEW BLUE 8500K XENON H13 9008 HID HEADLIGHTS BULBS (item 170323307624 end time Apr-22-09 17:07:54 PDT)
[IMG][/IMG]

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:30 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

get the h.i.d kit with the ballast and that will end the problem haha. i love my h.i.d headlights
07gt. sct 93octane custom tune,bbk cold air intake,kooks LT headers,o/r x-pipe,borla stingers, ford racing 3.73 gears,19" tsw wheels,eibach sportline lowering springs, 12k hid headlights, clear turn signal lens, cdc upper and lower billet grille.
07stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2009, 02:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Hids FTW!! I get flashed all the time though cuz my low beams are the equivilant of the sun.

2008 Torch Red Mustang GT
SCT3/JLT intake and Bamachips 93 race tune l shorty antenna l rear blackout panel l RT hood struts l Steeda Tri-Ax shifter l JBA LT's l O/R H pipe l FRPP Stingers l DDM 55w 8000k Headlights and fogs l Blacked out turn signals l M/T ET Street Radials
Best time with mods-13.1@105mph(before LT's)
echoinsilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

i never get flashed at i have 12k h.i.d. i got flashed at alot with the stock headlights and fogs on.
07gt. sct 93octane custom tune,bbk cold air intake,kooks LT headers,o/r x-pipe,borla stingers, ford racing 3.73 gears,19" tsw wheels,eibach sportline lowering springs, 12k hid headlights, clear turn signal lens, cdc upper and lower billet grille.
07stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

The wattage is what determines the brightness, i think most kits are only 35 watts but I have a 55 watt kit, the other number(not sure what it measures) only determines the color.

If I remember correctly anyway.

SCT3/JLT intake and Bamachips 93 race tune l shorty antenna l rear blackout panel l RT hood struts l Steeda Tri-Ax shifter l JBA LT's l O/R H pipe l FRPP Stingers l DDM 55w 8000k Headlights and fogs l Blacked out turn signals l M/T ET Street Radials
Old 04-24-2009, 06:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

The HID number is in Kelvins (K). Kelvin is just another degree of temperature.

Hey echoinsilence where did you get your HIDs? What temperature are you running?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:47 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I got mine from ddmtuning.com, I love em, complete plug and play kit, no splicing what so ever, and I'm runnin 8000k's. People used to flash me every now and then with my stockers but now I get flashed at least 3 times a week

Old 04-25-2009, 04:11 PM   #9

Region: Missouri

I'm scared of the Nokya H13's. I replaced the headlights and fog lights on my F-150 pickup with these bulbs and the damn things exploded. It happened the same night I put them in. They shattered inside my headlights and I actually had to take the headlight housing off and shake the pieces of bulb out. The H13 fog light on the passenger side melted the housing and after that I had a problem with water getting into the housing. It looked like ****.

I done some research and found out that there was a huge problem with these bulbs getting too hot. This was a couple years ago. Has Nokya fixed this problem?

I am looking for some good bulbs with a blueish hue to them for my 2009 Mustang GT. I am very scared to buy any because of my experience described above.
jasonus03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:38 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonus03 View Post
I am looking for some good bulbs with a blueish hue to them for my 2009 Mustang GT.
HID's

Make like Nike and just do it. Trust me, you'll love the color plus the added visibility and you won't have half the problems you're having now.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:37 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

I never have had a car-or truck-with real headlights-until now- before the `08. One of my personal requirements-when I began my search for the GT-was for HIDs. I wasn't going to settle for less. The car also had an interior appearance upgrade-nice and dark, instead of reflective/shiny, and the Shaker1000. I have been flashed with the low beams and driving lights on-and I'll bet it's because of the driving lights-being more "straight on"-then the main headlamps-which have adjustment.
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
jimbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #12

Just an Update:
I swapped the Stage 2 bulbs for Stage 1 bulbs which are 55 watt, the Stage 2 bulbs were 80/100 watt, and it corrected the problem.
To jasonus03, they have been in for 2 weeks now and no problems with them. They could be BRIGHTER though.
BTW Kudos to HighPerformanceBulbs as they had no problem swapping them out for me.
GT_Miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:30 AM   #13

Region: Colorado
Headlight 15 second shutoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT_Miami View Post
Picked up some new headlight bulbs online for the '09' GT and I have a strange problem.
If I just turn the headlights on, they work fine. If I start the engine, the passenger side bulb shuts off after about 15 seconds and stays off. The high beam works, but the low beam shuts off. If I switch the headlights off and back on, it comes back on for 15 secs. If I turn the engine off, it comes back on and stays on. The stock bulbs work fine. Its an H13 bulb. I tested it with a multi meter and it has proper voltage until it shuts off, then it has 0 volts. If I leave the engine running and remove the bulb from the wire socket, it still has no voltage, until I shut the engine off.
The drivers side does not have this problem.
My thought is that these are 100/80Watt bulbs and the stock bulb is 55 watts. Could it be that there is a sensor/relay that thinks there is too much wattage being pulled and opens so no power goes to the bulb? These are Halogen bulbs, not HID. The bulbs are NOKYA Artic White Stage 2. I'm asking them to swap themout for Stage 1's as those are only 55/60 watts. Has anyone else experienced this?
Hey, I was wondering what you found was the fix for your headlight prob? I'm having the same 15 second shutdown on the driver side light, but all other symptoms are the same.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Steve
JohnEngTech is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT