octane booster hurt my car - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-02-2009, 05:27 PM   #1

Region: California
Red face octane booster hurt my car

Hi im new to the site... hows everyone doin.... Has anyone of yall made the mistake of putting octane booster in your car??? When i bought my 07 GT new after a while i decided to put some octane booster in it because it had a good effect on my 64 elcamino that i have been driving for the past three years and boy did it screw things up..
Charlie-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Send a message via MSN to bloodyspirit058
Re: i swear i didnt know any better

i've never used an octane booster, but i have to ask... what kinda things did it screw up?

also... welcome

1994 GT, stock gears, stock shifter, stock engine, stock rims (or knock offs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti2gsxr
There was a case of the stuff stacked at the end of an aisle. Definately not cold or in the cooler. Also it was over $7 for the two bottles.
bloodyspirit058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:43 PM   #3

Re: i swear i didnt know any better

it fouled out my plugs and two ignition coils. When i would mash the gas half to full throttle there was a severe misfire. The dealer said not to do that ofcourse and fixed everything but there was still some octane booster left in the gas tank so the problem returned... So i took it back and they flushed the fuel system and and fixed the plugs and one coil this time and then it fine for a bit and seemed to have lost its edge and the torque would seem to fall off at random times or if i would give it about half throttle in an upshift and sometimes i hear the valves clatter for a breif second while shifting gears up hill or medium to full throttle. I took it to the dealer and they couldnt find anything wrong with it and gave it back to me..... do you think you might know what the problem is??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2009, 10:26 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: octane booster hurt my car

I highly doubt it was octane booster. A bottle of that might raise the overall octane .1...like from 87 to 87.1 octane. Probably a problem elsewhere.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:32 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
I highly doubt it was octane booster. A bottle of that might raise the overall octane .1...like from 87 to 87.1 octane. Probably a problem elsewhere.
yes, it takes a ton of octane booster to ACTUALLY raise the octane. Long story short... you don't need that stuff... especially on a new car.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:40 PM   #6

What do you think it might possibly be? I have purchased some new ignition coils to see if that may fix the problem? I could problem solve on my old car but this new tech has got me scratching my head.... Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-02-2009, 11:15 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-O View Post
What do you think it might possibly be? I have purchased some new ignition coils to see if that may fix the problem? I could problem solve on my old car but this new tech has got me scratching my head.... Any help would be greatly appreciated
check coils, make sure your plugs are gapped correctly. If it's a new car, with low miles... they should have warranty on it... let them do it

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:37 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

an 07 should still be in warranty depending~ but its probably not the octane booster unless it was some odd brand or something
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:41 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

I truly regret-that is for others-who want an edge, take a calculated risk without really researching-and I'm not perfect either-and have something go awry mechanically-probably due-at least in part-to experimentation. What a bummer. I sure hope you are able to resolve the issue(s).
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
jimbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:00 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
an 07 should still be in warranty depending~ but its probably not the octane booster unless it was some odd brand or something
Although he is in warranty, he would more than likely be held liable for the repairs at the Dealership. Kind of the same situation if he had gotten bad gas.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:12 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

cant hurt to try... dealerships these days will do just about anything they can to avoid warranty work but.. you never know
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:15 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

dude im so sorry, however i really do not feel that it was the octane booster. Reason being that i have used octane booster alot of times. recently i was also told not to use it as well, i just dont trust the gas stations when the say 93 octane half the time. What brand did you use? i have used lucas and nos and had no problems.

its probebly a mechanical problem and you should take it back to the dealer and argue with them. im sure they want your buissness esepcailly in times like this.

good luck!
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:43 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I used about 3 bottles of oct booster at once when the area i was in only had 92 oct.

March 2010 Mustangevolution Mustang of the Month 1st eva biatch!
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:43 PM   #14

Thanks for your replies... I had taken it to the dealer and they said they couldnt find a problem with the car.... they kept it all day to tell me they couldnt find a problem with it and then the manager went on a test ride with me and he thought it ran fine but he doesnt drive it every day... i had only used two bottles of the stuff. I dont know if my tune had anything to do with it. Im almost at the end of my warranty so i might try to take it to them one more time. I bought some coils to see if they might fix the problem cuz i think maybe they might of left a fouled out coil in. I had also replaced the plugs with proper gapage and it ran perfect for about two weeks and then the gremlin came back
Old 05-05-2009, 12:01 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

what type of plugs are you using? i don't know about the newer mustangs, but i have read that the 5.0 in mine doesn't like fancy plugs and to just stick with old copper ones, dunno if this is an issue, if it is, i doubt its the main problem.

did you look at the plugs when the "gremlin" came back? just curious if they were any differn't from when they went in.

Quote:
There was a case of the stuff stacked at the end of an aisle. Definately not cold or in the cooler. Also it was over $7 for the two bottles.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:10 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Wait.. so this car has a tune? Please give some more details on all mods for the vehicle, any recent work.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:59 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
Wait.. so this car has a tune? Please give some more details on all mods for the vehicle, any recent work.
oh wait, i thought this guys car was stock?
Old 05-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #18

I Have a diablo sport tuner withe an 91 octane insert removed airaid tune..an airaid intake...auto lite plugs, the ones i changed too...a poweraid throttle body spacer.... a pair of edlebrock? mufflers....and i have some accel coils sittin in the box over there... Ive tried running my car stock , no tune with intake with spacer, no tune with intake no spacer, mild tune with... well anyways all the combos and i still get the same result. like im pulling a trailer and the car even sounds different when this happens, not as agressive sounding and i havent seem to find any kind of pattern though if i gradually press the gas it responds with no problem an if i were to upshift with atleast half throttle then its really noticeable but if i take my foot off the gas and gradually press the gas then most the time the problem clears up. It als runs great for the first ten mins or so after starting it up after sitting for a bit. I just wanna find out what it is so i can fly by you guys lol. I appreciate all yall's imput...
Old 05-06-2009, 10:06 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

maybe take it to a diablo tuner and hope they can iron it out?

Quote:
Old 05-08-2009, 08:57 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I Have a diablo sport tuner withe an 91 octane insert removed airaid tune..an airaid intake...auto lite plugs, the ones i changed too...a poweraid throttle body spacer.... a pair of edlebrock? mufflers....and i have some accel coils sittin in the box over there... Ive tried running my car stock , no tune with intake with spacer, no tune with intake no spacer, mild tune with... well anyways all the combos and i still get the same result. like im pulling a trailer and the car even sounds different when this happens, not as agressive sounding and i havent seem to find any kind of pattern though if i gradually press the gas it responds with no problem an if i were to upshift with atleast half throttle then its really noticeable but if i take my foot off the gas and gradually press the gas then most the time the problem clears up. It als runs great for the first ten mins or so after starting it up after sitting for a bit. I just wanna find out what it is so i can fly by you guys lol. I appreciate all yall's imput...

dude no clue.......i think if the dealer cant figure it out you should take it to another shop that deals in mustangs, see what they think.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:19 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

FWIW I use torco FREQUENTLY here.. when I go to the track out here, head to the hills or plan to drive hard out here (91 octane is the highest avail out here short of racing fuels from specialty shops - my car is still tuned for 93 but is intercooled, 0 KR normally but higher load.. I don't want to risk it..)

Unless you poured sugar or water into your tank, I can't see octane booster fouling things up.. most octane boosters include concentrates of chemicals normally found in gas anyway..

I've used straight toulene at the track before also..

Torco Mach Series Accelerator

Try running gas from a different station a few times, use shell, sunoco or exxon/mobil/chevron for a bit, see if anything changes.. don't use gulf or 'no name' gas stations..

IMO, fouled plugs can be caused by the coils.. Coil operation can be impaired by a number of issues, water at the end of the boot, a crack inside the boot allowing arcing to the cylidner head... poor or weak signal from the PCM or connector..

Fouled plugs/misfire can also be caused by leaky injectors (overly rich can cause many of the same issues you listed, stumbling under load, fouled plugs, etc)

Just a few thoughts.. not sure if they'll help in any way
Old 05-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan View Post
FWIW I use torco FREQUENTLY here.. when I go to the track out here, head to the hills or plan to drive hard out here (91 octane is the highest avail out here short of racing fuels from specialty shops - my car is still tuned for 93 but is intercooled, 0 KR normally but higher load.. I don't want to risk it..)

Unless you poured sugar or water into your tank, I can't see octane booster fouling things up.. most octane boosters include concentrates of chemicals normally found in gas anyway..

Try running gas from a different station a few times, use shell, sunoco or exxon/mobil/chevron for a bit, see if anything changes.. don't use gulf or 'no name' gas stations..

IMO, fouled plugs can be caused by the coils.. Coil operation can be impaired by a number of issues, water at the end of the boot, a crack inside the boot allowing arcing to the cylidner head... poor or weak signal from the PCM or connector..

Fouled plugs/misfire can also be caused by leaky injectors (overly rich can cause many of the same issues you listed, stumbling under load, fouled plugs, etc)

For some reason I could not think of this product name yesterday and I needed it!!
Old 05-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Actually I had another thought..

Not as mainstream but there are octane boosters that use lead.. (IE how leaded fuel had high octane ratings..) That could lead to problems in modern cars
Old 05-10-2009, 10:12 PM   #24

Brand new to this site but not to your problem. I too used octane boost. Was a 700 dollar fix. Was told by Ford that the HO plugs do not like Octane boost (with cleaner additives) and can or will foul these plugs. May also screw up your injectors if there was a cleaner additive. I had to replace my injectors and plugs along with running the fuel out of my tank. My car has a KB 2.6 and runs ok now but not without the headache your having now. Stay away from additives period.
carmanwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:13 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

im just curious, which car did you use the torco in? was it a specific type of octane booster (street, race) and do you have new injectors and plugs. i have new injectors that came with my supercharger, so im guessing my car would be fine with it as well.
i have used nos and lucas before, never had a problem.
what do you think?
Old 05-11-2009, 10:46 AM   #26

Can't remember what kind but can tell you it snap, crackled and popped. The speed shop powercleaned my injectors changed plugs after running the tank dry. They put it back on the dyno and everything worked out for the most part. I ended up getting a replacement set of new injectors and installing them myself. Car has run ok since. But like I said, Ford said the HO style plugs are very fussy and additives should not be used with these plugs. This is not me but "Ford" saying that.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:28 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmanwelder View Post
Brand new to this site but not to your problem. I too used octane boost. Was a 700 dollar fix. Was told by Ford that the HO plugs do not like Octane boost (with cleaner additives) and can or will foul these plugs. May also screw up your injectors if there was a cleaner additive. I had to replace my injectors and plugs along with running the fuel out of my tank. My car has a KB 2.6 and runs ok now but not without the headache your having now. Stay away from additives period.
I was hoping i would run into some one else with the same problem.... Did you also hear a brief valve rattle or pinging on upshifts under load too?. Do you think i should return the coils and get injectors or do you think they would help me smash this gremlin..... This problem is such a drag.... its been robbing me of my fun.....
Old 05-11-2009, 09:00 PM   #28

Injectors ain't cheap, I would have the car on put a diagnostics tester (not your hand held OBD reader). I just happened to buy some injectors at 1/8 price. I lucked out. My speed shop relayed to me that out of all the KB's they ever put in mine was one of only a couple they ever come across that this happened to. And again my plugs fouled out( had to replace not clean) and injectors were screwed. Not too many places around me powerclean injectors anymore. Do yourself a favor, when you get this thing straightened out NO MORE OCTANE BOOST. Your playing russian roulette with your stang if you do.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:12 AM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

Ken - I've used it MANY times in my Regal (20+) and I put it in when the tank is at a fairly low level.. It's just the torco accelerator that I use.. I really don't have spark knock issues with my intercooler, just put it in for good measure or when I want to be sure I won't have any spark knock in some conditions, as I don't scan all the time..

The car has stock (and original) injectors and 2 step colder than stock copper autolite plugs, which I change out every 10k miles or so
Old 05-14-2009, 09:57 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ken - I've used it MANY times in my Regal (20+) and I put it in when the tank is at a fairly low level.. It's just the torco accelerator that I use.. I really don't have spark knock issues with my intercooler, just put it in for good measure or when I want to be sure I won't have any spark knock in some conditions, as I don't scan all the time..

The car has stock (and original) injectors and 2 step colder than stock copper autolite plugs, which I change out every 10k miles or so
thanks!
Old 06-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

You didn't use that NOS stuff that looks just like the Nos bottle did you?
Hey its happened before

Bike won't start after using NOS fuel additive : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com

96 honda magna vf750, K&N, Vance and Hines pipes Rejetted carbs
Ninethourpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:56 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was hoping i would run into some one else with the same problem.... Did you also hear a brief valve rattle or pinging on upshifts under load too?. Do you think i should return the coils and get injectors or do you think they would help me smash this gremlin..... This problem is such a drag.... its been robbing me of my fun.....
ok hope this doesn't sound stupid I am new mustang owner but have had lots of problems with other vehicles... don't know much or anything about these tunes and stuff... maybe they can think your car is ok for a bit but I had an SUV that did this same thing it ended up having more problems as I looked for the problem on my own but I think the original problem was a small vacum leak it had the same problems you have been saying just gradually got worse after a new idle air spark plugs and oxygen sensor(ran me about $350 doing the work myself) I replaced a hose and a fiting(for $0.48). But I will tell you I belive the reason I had to replace the oxygen sensor was cause I let the vacum problem go on so long.
Just an idea may not be right at all, sorry if it doesnt help.
Bgover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:24 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

"Machines/engines have a memory". To illustrate: I did an experiment-in a vehicle that I consistently filled with premium unleaded gasoline. I was told that I was "wasting my money" on the more expensive gas-and was not increasing my performance. Well-it was my Dad-and "he knows everything"-so I put the cheap octane gas in the vehicle. It ran like crap. Then I tried the "mid-grade" octane gas. It ran a little better. Then I said the heck with the guy that "thinks he knows everything"-and went back to what had always worked so well. Wa-Lah the 'problem(s)' disappeared. If it's not broken-don't fix it.
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
jimbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:11 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbullit View Post
" If it's not broken-don't fix it.
wrong, Fix it till it is

96 honda magna vf750, K&N, Vance and Hines pipes Rejetted carbs
Ninethourpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:09 PM   #35

Region: Arizona

did mine just before 1st dyno.screwed up all the plugs.mine was under warrenty so put it back to stock and took it to dealer.took them 4 hours to find out all the plugs were fouled.replaced them and have't used it since.i'm using champ plugs and still don't use it.i put a few gallons of 101 octane about every 6-8 wks.
frdfrst is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT