update (expirement w/limit) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-21-2009, 08:11 AM   #1

Region: New York
update (expirement w/limit)

It's been nearly a week and about 500 miles with the pulley swap on the completely stock 4.6. from a 3.75 to a 3.5 pulley and no problems with the exception on traction issues in third. It's tough when your going 60 - 65 and step on it in third and the rear end wants to slide out from under you. But its fun too.
Pro 5.0 Short Throw
carmanwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009, 09:45 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: update (expirement w/limit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmanwelder View Post
It's been nearly a week and about 500 miles with the pulley swap on the completely stock 4.6. from a 3.75 to a 3.5 pulley and no problems with the exception on traction issues in third. It's tough when your going 60 - 65 and step on it in third and the rear end wants to slide out from under you. But its fun too.
so how much boost you running now?
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:53 AM   #3

P and J SpeedShop where I get all my work done says 14 or 15 lbs. I didn't put it on the dyno...just wanted to have a little fun before the engine gets rebuilt.
Pro 5.0 Short Throw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
I feel your pain there. I tried to datalog last night running through second and third but I couldn't keep the *** end straight everytime I would go WOT.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:56 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

I want to play with a KB too

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:57 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
P and J SpeedShop where I get all my work done says 14 or 15 lbs. I didn't put it on the dyno...just wanted to have a little fun before the engine gets rebuilt.

WOW! thats alot! well so far your engine is lasting! lol Keep burning rubber! lol
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:32 AM   #7
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Wait, you upped the boost to have fun and then didn't get a full dyno tune? I don't get it...why not just put a 357 slug through the block?
Old 05-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #8

the tune i got from kb was for up to 15 lbs boost. only thing the dyno would do is tell me how muh torque and hp i got. Tune would remain the same unless I changed something like headers, gears, injectors etc...
Pro 5.0 Short Throw
Old 05-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #9
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

So you're running a canned tune from KB? Hmm...keep us posted on when it blows.

And on the dyno would let you make sure the canned KB tune was dialed in. Canned tunes are a good starting point, but are by no means the end all be all.

I will say, this has added a new level of excitement to this experiment for sure. Just be sure to get a real tune when you put the built motor in and don't rely on the KB canned stuff. You'll get more power AND increase the longevity of your new motor with a real tune.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:53 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

ah the fun of wanting hp/tq that is usless on the street lol only reason to have it is to say you have it
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:55 AM   #11

I've had good luck with 2 stangs with those canned tunes and no blow motors, no shredded belts, a total of 12 years with them. I guess those canned tunes do work.
Pro 5.0 Short Throw
Old 05-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #12

Is yours on the street?
Pro 5.0 Short Throw
Old 05-21-2009, 12:03 PM   #13
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Is yours on the street?
Yes, his is on the street, however, you'd have to know him to understand. His car sees boost probably 2-3 times a year....so he has no issues with traction.

The only reason you and I have issue with traction is we do not have to right tires for the power. I have $90 sumicrapmos that I bought for daily driving the cobra a while back. Hard as hell compound, 600 hp is not going to treat them well. When I get better tires, I will have no issues with traction so his statement will go out the window for me.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:09 PM   #14

Anyways this is me just doing what I want. I am either going to rebuid the thing or get a new one it dosen't matter to me. I am pushing it as far as I can without spending any cash to see what will happen. If she breaks ok and if she doesn't ok.
Pro 5.0 Short Throw
Old 05-21-2009, 01:27 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
I feel your pain there. I tried to datalog last night running through second and third but I couldn't keep the *** end straight everytime I would go WOT.
Quote:
Yes, his is on the street, however, you'd have to know him to understand. His car sees boost probably 2-3 times a year....so he has no issues with traction.

The only reason you and I have issue with traction is we do not have to right tires for the power. I have $90 sumicrapmos that I bought for daily driving the cobra a while back. Hard as hell compound, 600 hp is not going to treat them well. When I get better tires, I will have no issues with traction so his statement will go out the window for me.
Yea, I was very suprised when I was in Craigs (my brother's) and it slid out from under me cruising in 3rd. I think my pants got a little wet! That was on some ****ty 315 Nitto DRs.
What tires are you planning on getting?
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:31 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Anyways this is me just doing what I want. I am either going to rebuid the thing or get a new one it dosen't matter to me. I am pushing it as far as I can without spending any cash to see what will happen. If she breaks ok and if she doesn't ok.
IMO, You need to get the dyno tune and feel the difference. I am sure the can tune is great as it is probably ok for you (How's your A/F looking?), but You will feel a completely different nature from the car with the Dyno Tune. Also, it may be safer as you can actually set the car up to pull and push timing in any situations. I could see a longer lifespan out of the dyno tune for the stock block and higher numbers.

I haven't seen many of these cars under that much boost. Your car looks good. You should try to catch a magazine article! Why not build the block while your car is running?
Old 05-21-2009, 01:39 PM   #17
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
Yea, I was very suprised when I was in Craigs (my brother's) and it slid out from under me cruising in 3rd. I think my pants got a little wet! That was on some ****ty 315 Nitto DRs.
What tires are you planning on getting?
Mickey Thompson ET Streets....but I'm getting a second sent of rear rims so I can still drive on the sumicrapmos and later Nitto 555's for my normal everyday driving and save the mickeys for playtimes.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:22 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Mickey Thompson ET Streets....but I'm getting a second sent of rear rims so I can still drive on the sumicrapmos and later Nitto 555's for my normal everyday driving and save the mickeys for playtimes.
Yea, I think the ET streets are going to be the only tires that will be worth a damn beside slicks.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:01 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Send a message via MSN to bloodyspirit058

Quote:
you could just get it tuned like everyone says, than you know it will last longer and you can send me the money that you were going to spend on a new motor so i can build up my stang

that is pretty amazing specially with the canned tune... i would see about a mag article as well since this is very close to rare...

1994 GT, stock gears, stock shifter, stock engine, stock rims (or knock offs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti2gsxr
There was a case of the stuff stacked at the end of an aisle. Definately not cold or in the cooler. Also it was over $7 for the two bottles.
bloodyspirit058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:23 AM   #20

Sorry I'm spending the money for a 600 rwhp DD. And on weekends, pulley and fuel injector swap + fuel alot more rwhp.
Pro 5.0 Short Throw

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT