Check engine light-SHEESH - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-26-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Check engine light-SHEESH

Y'all: I haven't had a "check engine light" on-in any vehicle-since I cratered my `75 Honda Civic-back in `79. Here's the dang deal-I had a check engine light on two days ago. I rolled into the dealer-had called my technician ahead of time-he hooked up the reader-it was a "misfire code" on cylinder #2. He replaced the coilpack and installed a new plug. `Code gone. That is, until this morning. The "idiot"light is back on. I have heard from a dood at work-who's Dad owns a 2006 GT-he had this same problem(s). #2, and #5 cylinders, pulling codes. After he started to pull mods of the car-and then his idle fan quit working-the dealer finally replaced his computer-hasn't had any problems since. I REALLY hope that I amnot "that guy". I don't have a heavily modded car-as anyone can see in my signature. My `08 has 3150 miles on it-with the second "idiot" light on. Anyone here, relate to this??
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
jimbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2009, 09:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy
Re: Check engine light-SHEESH

Is it the same code?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:51 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Well-yesterday-Sunday-it disappeared. So I am unable to see what code it "was"... I guess I'm going to have to take it by the dealer and get another "reading" of the ECM.
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2009, 08:01 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

im sure they will take care of it, if its the same thing mention the computer but... unless you really know your tech chances are they will ignore what ever you way.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:02 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

The ?good news?-or, not-the light went off-after about 36 hours. I am also intimately accquainted with the technician-as I worked at the store for 3 1/2 years, and he's worked on numerous cars and trucks that I have owned/ currently owned. They also hired a Service Advisor-that used to work on our service aisle-he writes it up, Tommy takes care of the rest. I will post the result(s) here. I'm going to try and visit there, tomorrow.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:10 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

good, keep us posted
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:59 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Well I went back to get the diagnostic hookup. It coded an "intermittent misfire"-back to the #2 cylinder. The fuel system was "bled down"-all the injector pressures were measured-then when that proved to be okay-an unknown(content)software upgrade was uploaded. There-so far-hasn't been a problem. I think it's related to my CAI moving 144% more air-than the system is calibrated for-which is causing a "trickle down" effect. I'm moving forward with a handheld programmer-to remap the PCM-as I probably should have done-when I installed my power pipe and bigger MAF.. `More will? be revealed?

Old 07-13-2009, 11:49 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

This just in-so far-no check engine light-next is handheld programmer

Old 07-20-2009, 11:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

i assume its a p0302? i assume he did a power balance test. what did the mode 6 data look like?
iamdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:17 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

iamdat-WOW-that went a little over my head. I probably should have been paying more attention. I basically wrote about what I payed attention to-and that was the answer he received from the Tech Staff + the mysterious "software update". So far-no more "check engine" light. I'm just trying to figure out which programmer to use. I have used DiabloSport two other times, with decent results- `03 MaCh 1, and a 2003 Cobra.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:47 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

sorry, i used to be a ford tech in my previous life. actually, i went to UTI for the FACT program. i like ford a lot
holler if anything pops up, id love to help
Old 07-22-2009, 02:41 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdat View Post
sorry, i used to be a ford tech in my previous life. actually, i went to UTI for the FACT program. i like ford a lot
holler if anything pops up, id love to help

ditto, used to be a ford tech

Mode 6 is basically a way of tracking problem areas over a longer period of time

Your 'software update' may very well have fixed your issue (hopefully) Usually dealers don't update software unless required (TSB/recall) or it's to fix an issue basically directly related to the problem in question

Good luck!
Old 07-22-2009, 08:24 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan View Post
ditto, used to be a ford tech

Mode 6 is basically a way of tracking problem areas over a longer period of time

Your 'software update' may very well have fixed your issue (hopefully) Usually dealers don't update software unless required (TSB/recall) or it's to fix an issue basically directly related to the problem in question

Good luck!
exactly!
Old 07-23-2009, 07:43 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I really appreciate ALL ASE Certified/ Factory trained Technicians:worship: One of these days...I'm going to go to our local community college-as one of the techs where I work suggested :whistle: so that I can learn a little more of the basics. Honestly I have been doing preventive maintenance to my cars-since my Dad showed me how to adjust the valves on the `65 Beetle I shared with my older brother-when we were in high school I also worked at the local Ford store for 3 1/2 years, beginning in `02-and met some fine folks there-I still take my Mustang over there-to the SVT guy. He and I became friends over the years-him working on my Lightnings and Cobras-me selling he and his family cars:thumbs2: It's ALL good.. :spot: !

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Tags
check engine