Can you see it working? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-04-2009, 07:56 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Can you see it working?

Well, I want to start off the right way. Im Nicholas I am 16 years old and just got my 08 mustang gt in late may. I now have some moeny from selling items that I had collected over the years and sold on ebay.

I was looking to buy from blowbyracing.com and purchasing their stage 1 performance kit. It has a jlt cai and steeda underdrive pullys. Ontop of that it comes with a tuner that is already custom calibrated by the company, and come ready to flash you ecu.

I was also looking into a throttle body. I was looking at the bbk twin throttle body for my car. I was wondering though if you could use a bbk tb with a jlt cai. Aslo If I can, I was wondering if I would need to tune the car further, or if I would just have to install the tb.

Aslo I was curious as to how effective spacers are to install behind the trottle body. Im a bit lost as to if they are worth the money.

Ontop of all of this I was wondering about off road pipes. Blowbyracing.com offers a stage 2 kit. The stage one offers a realistic 28-30 hp, while the stage 2 offers 60-70 hp. The only problem I have with it is that it comes with bbk off road pipes (no cats). So I was wondering how illegal it is to run with out cats if any one know. The difference between the two kits is substantial hp wise, but only 300 dollars different which might be worth running illegal.

Thanks for your help! (sorry for asking so many questions, I just would like to get the parts so I can work on my car over the summer, boredoms setting in.)
GhostStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Can you see it working?

a cai, axle back exhaust, under drive pullies, and a tune are your best bets. A spacer on the throttle body is worthless, and the thorttle body itself is probably worthless as well, I know it is on pre 05s near stock.

I would do the mods listed above and you MUST get a REAL tune, the tune they send you may be ok~ but get a better tune, get one from someone like bamachips.com (seems to be very good with 05+) its always best to have a dyno check on it as well to make sure your good and your a/f is good.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California

Anywhere you run your car with offroad pipes is really illegal. Depending on what state you live in depends on how strict they are for emissions testing. You might have to do a mid pipe swap when it comes time for an emissions inspection. I used to live in PA and we had an annual inspection. Other than that they really didn't care too much. I live in CA now and they are much stricter.

95 GT- Sold
09 Hyundai Elantra Touring-new ride.
Looking for the next project car now
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2009, 11:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks so much for replying! Its so nice to finally get some answers to my questions. Is there a substantial difference noticable with the under drive pullies? Do you need to tune the car if you do put the pullies on?

Also what tuner should I go for. Im looking at a jlt cai with an Xcalibrator 3 from bama.

Once again thanks!
Old 07-07-2009, 09:45 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostStang View Post
Thanks so much for replying! Its so nice to finally get some answers to my questions. Is there a substantial difference noticable with the under drive pullies? Do you need to tune the car if you do put the pullies on?

Also what tuner should I go for. Im looking at a jlt cai with an Xcalibrator 3 from bama.

Once again thanks!
No tune needed for pullies, and you feel a difference on how fast the engine spools up with them. In my opinion the C&L "racer" and SCT X-Cal3 are the best bang for the buck. You can get them from Brenspeed, Bama Chips or Tillman Speed. They are all good tuners with a lot of experience, I had some tunes from Dough at Bama before I supercharged my car and was very happy with them.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:37 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

you don't need to buy a tuner. If you get it dyno tuned they will flash it to the computer with their own stuff so that saves you about 380 bucks.
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:21 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

yea you dont have to use a tuner but they are quite handy in reading codes, getting updates to your tune, and such.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:00 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

get the tuner and then get it dyno tuned. you wont be sorry.

March 2010 Mustangevolution Mustang of the Month 1st eva biatch!
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

a good place to start is with a c&l racer, custom tune, exhaust. next move on to some gear and drag radial. there will be no need to get a dyno tune with the minimum bolt ons. also, dont waste your money on a throttle body or spacer. if you do the installations yourself then the economy delete plates will be a good bang for the buck but you will need your tune updated for them. aluminum driveshafts are also well worth the money on these cars as well.
jroc07gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:42 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

I'm impressed that y'all are helping this young guy out-that's what we "are here for"
`And welcome young man-I woulda done just about anything to have a Mustang at your age-WOW `Pretty cool. I am at the stage that you are working toward-some mods-no tune yet-trying to decide the "best bang for the buck way"-to go myself. I guess if there was a true tuner outfit with a dyno-that everyone in the area liked/had good results with-I would save the 400.00-and have them flash the PCM. I will probably purchase a hand held tuner-and then-as others have said-have the additional capability to read codes as well.
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
jimbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:49 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Ibanezplayer272 Send a message via MSN to Ibanezplayer272

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc07gt View Post
will be no need to get a dyno tune with the minimum bolt ons.
I beg to differ my friend. If you got a good tuner on your hands that is. Chris Jones from Blow By Racing recently just dynoed a stock 2010 GT at 276rwhp/304ft/lbs tq. He tuned the car and used a SCT X-cal 3 and came up with 290 rwhp / 313 rwtq after a little while. 14rwhp is a hell of a gain for a bone stock car with the OEM air filter, lol.

Custom Tuned 2010 Mustang GT - B4 and After Dyno Videos - The Mustang Source

2007 Windveil Blue Mustang GT
Mods : Intake, Stubby antenna
Rolls are for fat chicks
Ibanezplayer272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Wow guys thank you so much for your help. I think I am looking to go for some high flow cats and the c&l with the tunes from bama chips and the underdrives eventually.

I have a hobby on the side that makes me plenty of income without actually having a job at my age. I can make between 2-3g a year. I was considering buying these parts but realized that sure they would give me substantial horsepower, but to spend 1000-1600 and only get around 50 hp to slightly more may not be worth it.

I am considering waiting a year and a half to two years and maybe purchasing a turbo. I wouldn't have even thought about going this route except I landed on a website and the have an f1-A procharger for the 05-09 mustang Gts. It cost 5700 then you have to add on new fuel injectors and a fuel pump and a tuner. BUT!!! They claim that their mustang gt running on 12 psi dynod over 740 hp. Would it be worth waiting for that? Or should I just buy the original parts (c&L bama chips & tunner, underdrives, throttle body, high flow cats, catback exhaust and shortty headers), and then dress it up a bit and buy some nice black rims with a red lip and two racing strips painted across it, and a moderate window tint. Which should I go for.

Or just buy a bike in a couple years for more speed. lol

Once again thanks for all of you help guys!
Old 07-13-2009, 11:35 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Just be careful with the speed. The number one cause of death-for young men in this country-is auto accidents. The majority of these involve excessive speed, and/or alcohol. NEVER drive under the influence of anything. Always pull off the road to answer the telephone. Always check your blind spots and always signal your every intention. I also know-as a 30+ year motorcyclist and Lifetime AMA Member-that no one likes a law breaking, loud, speeding sportbike. Those idiots only enrage the citizenry with their lawlessness.
It's ALL a privledge-just show some respect.
If it was me-I would start to do some things to the car-now. Have fun with it. Take good care of it. Enjoy it.:patriot: !!
2011 Sterling Gray GT: 5.0, 6speed, Security Pkg., 3:73 Limited Slip,HID headlamps, stripe delete,19" Nickle Luster Wheels, Magnaflow Street Series axle backs

Sold:2008 Vapor GT:Borla Stinger, Hurst, AFM PowerPipe,Velocity MAF,Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, Hyper-Black CS69 Wheels
jimbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:38 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thanks jim! I think I am planning on doing that and doing some minor upgrades, and seveal non performance changes to it!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT